Old 01-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #15
Jack Dog in So Cal

2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
SeeCue,

Waiting for your AS like we did seemed like forever.

We love the new door position for the bathroom, I'm an ex body builder 5' 9" but 230lbs) so the toilet room in the wet bath is a little tight.

Even in high cross winds with the sway bar and equilizer hitch we could stay on the road while other trailers had to pull over and wait. We love having the four stabilizer jacks; makes for a very stable trailer even in the dirt.

The only issue so far is the counter and dinette table surface is very prone to damage. My girl friend had a glass soda bottle in her hand and it slipped out of her hand (about six inches above the table) and put a nice divet in the table top.

We had a Casita before the AS and so we love the extra room due to it being wider. All in all so far we are loving our little tin can.

Next trip out is at Easter to Tombstone, AZ.

Michael,
Jack Dog
in So Cal

Old 01-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Sorry, you can't swap the 14" wheels out for 15" wheels. Has to do with the wheelwell cutout size. It also changes the center of gravity on the trailer.
Sounds like your water usage is a lot less than ours. I find that I can top off the tank and tow just fine. No need to travel dry.
Check out this video: Airstream Performance - YouTube
It gives you a good idea of what you could do if you had to.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
Jack Dog in So Cal

2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
Jack and Rose

dlb435,

The photo is of Jack our male on the left and Rose our female on the right; both came from So Cal Collie Rescue. My first dog as a kid was a Rough Coat Collie.

If you can handle the hair issue they travel really well, very calm and laid back with a personality much like a Golden Retriever. This is Jack's third trailer and Rose's second. He has staked out a corner on the bed while Rose like's to stretch out on the floor by the door.

Since moving up from a Casita it's nice to have more floor space and room for everything.

Mike,
Jack Dog
in So Cal
Old 01-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Moving from 14" wheels and tires to 15"

[QUOTE=dlb435;1247915]Sorry, you can't swap the 14" wheels out for 15" wheels. Has to do with the wheelwell cutout size. It also changes the center of gravity on the trailer.

dlb435 --- Before I make my comment I will acknowledge that my 16 footer,(2001), is not as new as yours and I realize that changes are being done at all times. I guess it would take a hands on measurement comparison of my wheel wells to a new trailer to totally be on the mark but.......... Maybe it's possible ????

Just for general info,

I upgraded my 14" wheels and tires to 15" just about a year ago. My original wheels had some corrosion so that got me started on the idea of an upgrade. I ordered the new wheels from the same supplier that the factory uses and they are the very same wheel that is on the brand new Sport. The lug pattern is the same for the wheel, zero offset, all that matches. My original axle is the same, a 3500lb Dexter and I have no clearances problems in the wheel wells. I have noticed nothing different about the way it tows, i.e., center of gravity. Changing out to the 15s did raise it just a little but such a small amount that no change in the hitch was needed.

I measured everything more than once before I did it and am enjoying the same great towing experience that I'm used to and certainly don't regret doing it. More tire choices, etc.... Have towed it at least 4000 miles since and couldn't be more satisfied. Getting ready to do another 16 to 1800 miles and can hardly wait till pull out day gets here!! Plus, the 15s don't lose air anywhere near like the 14s did. I think I have only had to add air once since I put them on.

Of course the ultimate test would be to have a set to try before you buy. I didn't but it all worked out quite well.

Rolling on 15s and happy.tb
Old 01-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
Congrats! We are about to celebrate our one year anniv with our Bambi!

It's been great. We have only been exploring AZ and SW Co. Boondocking about 75% of the time.

Water: We have never run out. We conserve but aren't crazy. We always bring a 2.5 gallon spring water and keep it on the counter for teeth brushing, drinking and overall "ingesting". (i'm a bit wacky on that stuff). As for running out ...never have done it. Our longest dry camping was three nights. Now, this summer we are looking at 5 nights so we just bought a 6 gal fresh water container. To complement that, we picked up a "tote n store". Just in case.

In addition to the 2.5, we grab a few 1 gallons as well. They are good in case you need to fill and carry.

Battery: DEFINITELY get a second battery. Yes, one night's heat will kill it. A generator as well...if that's your thing. It's ours. We have a E2000. Honestly, we haven't used the AC ever. The only time we needed it we were dry camping at a rally and we decided not to be in hot weather like that again! lol Being in Az we LOVE cool Colorado breezes in summer.

Solar: we are exploring that for a 2013 addition...

TV: A 2006 Ridgeline. No problems up and down the San Juans.

Clearance: we try and stay safe and level.

Bumper: Don't see the need for it.

LCD lights: We are fine so far...TBD. Ikea has a great little gooseneck solar lamp we love. Pop out charging in the sun.

Bathroom: old style door: great view!

Kitchen: Get those thin cutting boards - 3 pack. You can cut one in half and place it between the sink and the burners. I usually keep a full one on the glass cover. They store between the refrigerator and the dinette on the floor (thats where we also keep a long flat cooktop for the coleman).

Sorry for rambling, we love having the AS and we are NOT long time campers! First trailer and our first time out was our 3rd time camping of ANY kind!

PM if you want to compare campsites in AZ/CO.

Good luck!! have a blast!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Congrats; you will surely like it!
Old 05-02-2013, 11:22 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Boulder , Colorado
Finally!

We had some delays but finally picked up our Bambi today! Maiden voyage planned for southern Utah next weekend. Anyone boondocked on BLM land in the San Rafael Swell?
Old 05-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #22
Jack Dog in So Cal

2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
Happy Day!

Seacue,

Congrats on finally picking up the AS. Good luck on you're first outing and be ready to being the center of attention both on the road and in the campgounds.

We are heading out in July to Nor Cal and the redwoods and then So Oregon and the coast.

Looking forward to some photos from the trip.

Jack Dog
in So Cal
Old 05-15-2013, 11:13 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Boulder , Colorado
Maiden Voyage!

Coming full circle on this thread. Just returned from our maiden voyage -- an unmitigated success! I've posted details in the Boondocking forum so check it out. No bumper, no segment protectors, have elected to be less anal and just go!

Thanks everyone for the great comments and advice. More queries to come!
Old 05-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
So, did your new Bambi come with LEDs already installed ... easy to add at any point. We had great times in our Bambi!
Old 05-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Boulder , Colorado
The Bambi does not come with LEDs. We just ordered some, but will probably only replace about half of original bulbs, and pull the others out. WAY overkill on the lighting in the Bambi!

Tags
16' sport