Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2019, 04:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Prefab Garage for Bambi 19'

Does anyone know who makes a prefab garage or enclosed structure that accommodates a 19' Bambi but isn't overly large? The trailer's exterior is 19.5'L (with tongue) x 8'W x 9.5'H (with A/C unit). I'm finding 12'x20' buildings that would work if only the garage door height were tall enough.

Please forgive me if this question is misdirected or has already been addressed. I'm a rookie and this is my first post. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
llewellynann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:57 PM   #2
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Call Tuff Shed. Believe they build to your specification.

We added an open awning to our back deck. Would have worked well for AS storage if there was room on the side. Believe these were the folks. http://www.brightideas-brentwood.com/patio_covers.html

These folks do custom work. https://www.heritagebuildings.com/bu...CAAEgK4c_D_BwE

You might find the best solution is one of the tent structures. Not the discount store car tents. Look at the commercial style units.

Would be nice to store inside at home. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:39 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Prefab Garage for Bambi 19'

Thanks, PKI! The Bright Ideas products may be a little lighter duty than we were thinking and Heritage has a minimum size that's too large for us, butt Tuff Sheds is a good idea and they're local for us. We'll give them a call. Many thanks!
Old 06-28-2019, 05:45 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

TuffShed costs upwards of $12,000. We're thinking in the neighborhood of half that. The search continues...
Old 06-28-2019, 07:25 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Hope you get one pulled together. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 05:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I have been using a Shelterlogic product since 2016. Still good as new. Hail bounces right off of it, snow slides off....great product at an affordable price.

https://www.shelterlogic.com/shop/de...xoCGiIQAvD_BwE
Old 06-29-2019, 01:25 PM   #7
Vintage Only

1966 26' Overlander
Ramona , California
Costco sells a nice carport "tent" that is very rugged. If you mount it on a simple cinder block wall you can make it high enough. Ours has held up for several years with winds up to 50+ mph. I think it normally sells for $250-$300. You can even buy the replacement covers. Not nearly as nice as a solid structure but it is functional and economical.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:53 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
San Luis Obispo , California
Cover

The permanent type structures could require permits but the tent type usually don't since they are considered portable. The Shelter Logic cover is on my wish list!!
slofoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:39 PM   #9
caz
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Elgin , Texas
My solution for my 30 ft Airstream is a cantilevered carport. Structure is all Aluminum anodized extrusions. Support posts in the ground are along one side. Heat resistant, RV blocking roof panels extend on a shallow angle out over my Airstream. Comes with rain gutter & down spouts. No walls. Pre-existing Concrete floor. The structure will withstand winds up to 80 mph. The roof is 11' w x 34' long. cost: $10K. Your structure will likely be only half the length of mine. So, cost will drop. This type of solution will add value to your property. I would avoid a cheap, weak, light weight structure. Waste of good money. I can send you photos if you wish. The interface on my end will not let me post a photo in this message. Caz. Flying Cloud 30
caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:30 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
1957 18' Wanderer
Marfa , Everywhere
As I was reading your post, an ad for SteelMaster came up right then: they make prefab steel quonset huts that are awesome. Check it out. As we drive across the country, we see so many steel quonset huts that look good, old and new. Good luck, and happy trails!
57Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:14 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
I have been using a Shelterlogic product since 2016. Still good as new. Hail bounces right off of it, snow slides off....great product at an affordable price.

https://www.shelterlogic.com/shop/de...xoCGiIQAvD_BwE

Thanks, Centennialman! Great idea!!! This could be a great option for us. I’m glad to hear you were happy with the quality. Do you happen to know exactly which material yours is? It looks like each of their designs is available in a range of material types.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:18 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Thanks, 57Wanderer. We took a look at some other steel quansett huts and liked them, but they were a little beyond our budget. We will definitely take a look at the site you recommended. Thank you so much.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:26 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Hi KenFConnor,

I like the price of the Costco car tent, but it might not be big enough. Height is a particular problem as our trailer has a big AC unit on top. Will look further into this. Thanks so much for your help.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:30 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Hi slofoks,

I agree. We may be on the right track with ShelterLogic. No permits is definitely a plus. We need to make sure we can find one with the right dimensions. Going to work on that now. Thanks for your help!
Old 07-02-2019, 07:33 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Thank you so much, caz! Your shelter sounds really great. Probably nicer than what we will be able to do on our budget. Being in a residential area of California, we are also a little worried about anything that requires permits. Thanks so much for your help. Thank you.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
llewellynann.....I don't know what the material on the Shelterlogic is but do remember purchasing the strongest they had. It feels like a very heavy coated tarp like material. It has held up very well. I purchased the 24 X 14 model and my 20FC fits just right with the tongue coming right at the end. Don't purchase their door roll up door kit. It's a bit frustrating to install and use. I ended up just rolling the door up tight to the top, getting on a ladder and using a few bungee cords to keep it open. If it looks like a hail storm coming, I undo the bungees,roll the door down and then zip it shut.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
here is the site for info for the shelterlogic outdoor storage building
https://www.shelterlogic.ca/shop/dep...idth_range=467
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:42 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
You might consider something like The Shed Center (https://theshedcenter.com/prefab-gar.../?state=Oregon) or another similar brand. They provide pricing on their web site along with available options. You can also spec a regular garage door in lieu of the standard roll-up door.

Their 12' x 20', all wood garage starts at @ $6,300.00 (not including options). Not sure about CA, but in most states these "garages" are considered "storage" buildings since they are built on runners and they don't require a building permit. I know they can install a 10' x 8' garage door in lieu of the roll-up door, but don't know if they can do a 10' x 10' door, which would probably be preferable for accessing by the AS.

I'm considering a 16' x 32' or 16' x 36' for my AS and other sundry "stuff". You can get them customized pretty much any way you want - even to the point of having the structure site built with any side wall height you need (site building adds 25% to the overall building cost).

I bought a small 4' x 6' custom shed for my well house from them and they do a really nice job.

Just something else to consider . . .
andyherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:43 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Morro Bay , California
Also looking to cover my 16 ft. Bambi DWR. I couldn't find anything on Costco website that was a cover. Can Ken or someone send a link to that product?
James
jzuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:59 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Residential Area of California...…………. have you checked for Deed Restrictions? Home Owners Associations (HOAs)?

Have you looked for small contractors or prefab metal shed suppliers in your local area?
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote