Old 06-25-2018, 06:24 AM   #1

Camp Hill , United States - Pennsylvania
Potential Buyer

Hi all,

I wasn't sure where to post such a broad message, but I figured I would start here. My husband and I are in our late 20s seriously considering purchasing a Sport. Leaning towards the 22. We've been out and seen the 22 Sport as well as the Basecamp. The BC definitely isn't for us (90 lb spoiled black lab). We're going to a different dealer next weekend to check out the 16.

We have some experience with tent camping. No experience with RVs. This would be used primarily for weekend trips with a couple longer trips mixed in during the year.

This purchase would be a really big deal for us, as I'm sure it was for so many of you.

I guess what I'm wondering is... does it make sense for us to purchase? We love driving and taking weekend trips so in our head it seems like a perfect fit. Any words of advice or things we should consider?

Mspri894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:04 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Chicago , Illinois
You’re the only one who will be able to answer this question for yourself.

My wife and I are in our early 30s and had the same question. We also had no trailer experience and rented twice to see what we were getting ourselves into. Renting was very helpful, we loved it and pickup our new trailer in August.

This purchase will never make financial sense, but life is short. If you want it and can afford it, make it happen.

chicagoair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:11 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Suwanee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoair View Post
You’re the only one who will be able to answer this question for yourself.

My wife and I are in our early 30s and had the same question. We also had no trailer experience and rented twice to see what we were getting ourselves into. Renting was very helpful, we loved it and pickup our new trailer in August.

This purchase will never make financial sense, but life is short. If you want it and can afford it, make it happen.

We moved from tent camping to an Aliner - a hard sided popup camper with a 12' long body towable with the wife's Volvo wagon. That got us used to towing and living in a small trailer. Paid about $12K for it, sold it for $10K three years later when we moved up to the Airstream.

The Airstream was a major investment for us, but living with the smaller, less costly, trailer taught us we'd like the RV/camping lifestyle and taught us what we'd appreciate in the larger trailer - a shower and permanent toilet, as well as much more room.
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
ottawa , Ontario
i have the 22FB sport and love it.

the 16 was too small
the BC did not have enough features

we have since added a solar panel top our 22 so that we can go off grid for longer

the sport was the right price sweet point. The larger ones have a few more bells and whistle, but the 22 FB was our best option
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:34 AM   #5

Camp Hill , United States - Pennsylvania
Thanks for the feedback! The 22 truly does seem like the perfect size. Did you purchase new? If so, did you have any issues? Also, are you using yours for mostly weekend trips or multiple weeks at a time? Thanks again!
Mspri894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I have an older 22' International CCD, built in 2007. It is a bit unusual in that it has a dual axle, but is the right length to go darn near anywhere. I find that it tows OK with my Tacoma, but a Tundra would have more horsepower to handle the mountain passes out here in the west...some day...

It has a wet bath, which is not my DWs fave, but it works for 2 or three humans and four smallish dogs. We mostly do long trips of 4-6 weeks, but it is also set up for boondocking with solar power to keep the batteries charged on a longish weekend or so.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:24 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Forestburg , Texas
Great to hear you are a potential AS buyer.

Sport 22FB worked well for us (retired couple who occasionally take a grandkid). Traded a leaky Rpod. Bought new from a dealer. Never looked back.

Just remember NO RV is perfect. The AS is as close to perfect as you will likely find today since it is constructed by hand, carefully, and with many legacy processes. However, a new owner has the helm. Not a bad thing. Just not the same as before 2002.

Shop well and try to deal on price. That said, the interest in AS has driven prices up. Oh...and avoid the fiberglass versions. Didn't work out in the past and won't today. Stay with the shiny aluminum. LOL.
Ham Radio Call sign NO5Y
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
ottawa , Ontario
we bought ours new in 2017.

we had some initial quality controls issues, missing documentation.
air leaks and other items

all eventually got fixed.

we took our to CANAM in london ON
they know AS very well and were able to get all remaining items resolved.

be sure to match you TV to the trailer. we have an audi Q5. it has 5000lbs tow and 500 lb tongue. fully loaded we get 1/3 less gas mileage on average on a long trip. not bad that were pulling something heavier than the TV itself

be sure to add WD ( weight distribution) Sway control and a P3 brake controller to the TV.

get some to show you how to back it up. it is a skill that needs to be learned.

we also added a garmin RV GPS unit with wireless backup camera
we wire the camera to the AS lights. When the GPS is on and we want to see behind us, we turn the TV lights on and that starts up the BU camera
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
We moved from tent camping to an Aliner - a hard sided popup camper with a 12' long body towable with the wife's Volvo wagon. That got us used to towing and living in a small trailer. Paid about $12K for it, sold it for $10K three years later when we moved up to the Airstream.

The Airstream was a major investment for us, but living with the smaller, less costly, trailer taught us we'd like the RV/camping lifestyle and taught us what we'd appreciate in the larger trailer - a shower and permanent toilet, as well as much more room.
Smart People!

Look carefully and you will notice so many trailers and even motorhomes sitting in storage that have black or green algae on them. Sure sign they have sat for years.

Life happens, and for many they never find the time to take trips, or try one or two trips and decide the marriage can survive a luxury hotel but not a black tank that needs to be emptied or a GPS that sends you up a two lane mountain road which requires you to back down for three miles.

$3000 on depreciation is less than rent for a medium size B+. AND you could buy a used Aliner to start out with.

Paula

Favorite Winston S. Churchill story: Churchill's grammar was once criticized because he ended a sentence with a preposition (as I just did)

His response, "That is mere pedantry, up with which I shall not put!"
Old 06-26-2018, 11:53 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Felton , Delaware
My GF and I just got the 22 Sport. Love it. My FJ Cruiser tows it nicely. It's a big purchase but we figured it was our dream and it was worth it. We got a 2018 used so we did save some money. There is also the coast of all the other stuff that goes along with this purchase - if you want to go "all in." For us, that was a good surge protector, ball lock and the little items like levelers, chocks, etc. You can follow us @lowerslowerlife on Instagram too.
Dallashayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:47 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Monrovia , California
Try renting first. Rented we learned: how our truck towed, about the Anderson hitch, how to set up the brake controller, and what model fit us best. In all $800.00 well spent
Kay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:38 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
It is hard not to love an Airstream. You will probably not find too many may-sayers here.
brick

brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote