Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2008, 10:28 PM   #1

2007 19' Bambi
Tyler , Texas
Popping Rivets and Microwave Question

Ok my fellow airstream lovers,
1. I have rivests popping out over the entry door and fridge leaving ugly holes. My problem is I have been to the Airstream website and they offer about a thousand different kinds of rivets(ok exageration) anyway does anyone know which to get.
2. Right now I use a small microwave on the table, I would like to find one to mount somewhere but I wonder whats the best choice is and where to mount it, you guys know the space issues in our little beauties . Help!
Tylertexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylertexan View Post
Ok my fellow airstream lovers,
1. I have rivests popping out over the entry door and fridge leaving ugly holes. My problem is I have been to the Airstream website and they offer about a thousand different kinds of rivets(ok exageration) anyway does anyone know which to get.
2. Right now I use a small microwave on the table, I would like to find one to mount somewhere but I wonder whats the best choice is and where to mount it, you guys know the space issues in our little beauties . Help!
You need to use "Olympic rivets."

To use them, you will also need a decent pop rivet gun, and a tube of Vulkem sealer.

You will also need the correct drill bit size for the Olympics, which is #21.

You should also have #30's and #11's handy as well.

We have a drill bit kit that provides all 3.

You should also find out what's causing the rivet failures.

Three things that do cause that type of failure, is lack of proper running gear balance, excessive rated hitch bars, and a heavy duty tow vehicle, and/or a combination of those.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:48 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If the rivets are inside, you can use 1/8" aluminum pop rivets to replace the missing ones. If they are inside, and you have the Safari model, you can get a bottle of white shoe polish or correction fluid to touch up the rivet heads, so you don't have shiny silver spots on your interior skins. Dip a Q-Tip in the shoe polish, or use the supplied applicator for the correction fluid.
Ditto what Andy said above about the cause. Over the course of time, rivets will come out "just because". But a 2007 model losing so many so quickly indicates an issue that needs to be addressed before it becomes a problem.

Tags
2006 bambi