Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2018, 03:18 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Pop Goes the Rivet or Missing interior pop rivets 22FB

After 7k miles we have now discovered 6+ missing interior pop rivets from panels over the 22FB dinette.

Any good source or kit for the replacements and just how hard will this task be?

(I did search the forum to see if anyone had posted similar)
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 03:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Popped rivets

Not sure about how to fix, but you may want to look at your towing setup. What tire pressure are you running? What WD hitch and the bar rating? How much weight are you transferring back to front axle of tow vehicle? 6 rivets popped in just 7k miles is a lot unless you have been on some pretty bad roads. Your towing a fairly lite trailer. Could your tow vehicle have an overly stiff suspension for the amount of tongue weight your carrying. Just a couple of thoughts. I am sure there are a bunch of Streamers that can chime in on how to replace rivets. I think Airstream sells a kit that includes everything you need in it. Good luck and safe travels.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 03:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msherw View Post
After 7k miles we have now discovered 6+ missing interior pop rivets from panels over the 22FB dinette.

Any good source or kit for the replacements and just how hard will this task be?
Menards and Home depot have white aluminum rivets. You will need size 1/8 diameter and a pop rivet tool, a good brand is Marson clik fast, well made w/several heads. It is very easy to replace rivets and if have to drill takes 1/8 bit. Buy a good tool as you will have many uses for it as a AS owner there will be more pop off. As far as usage, very simple put rivet in tool then in hole squeze handle stem will break off, nothing else to do, that's it. You can also place rivet in hole then in tool, makes no dif.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:03 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
Not sure about how to fix, but you may want to look at your towing setup. What tire pressure are you running? What WD hitch and the bar rating? How much weight are you transferring back to front axle of tow vehicle? 6 rivets popped in just 7k miles is a lot unless you have been on some pretty bad roads. Your towing a fairly lite trailer. Could your tow vehicle have an overly stiff suspension for the amount of tongue weight your carrying. Just a couple of thoughts. I am sure there are a bunch of Streamers that can chime in on how to replace rivets. I think Airstream sells a kit that includes everything you need in it. Good luck and safe travels.
I think - THINK it may have happened when the police made me tow over a center median to avoid a 2 hour delay traffic accident. I didn't want to do it but there was no room to argue. The median was fairly tall and I took it slow to avoid the jack post etc. But the angle and the rise difference in TV and AS may have torqued the frame (not badly but enough to pop a few rivets). Never had any other problems in the first 5000 miles.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
You don't need big $ dollar kit from AS and pop rivets same either big box or AS. I have used thousands of pop rivets all sizes, only thing when using on AS buy aluminum not steel rivets. If you don't need white regular aluminum same thing, you cannot tell dif . between factory or after market
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:14 PM   #6
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I would discount driving over a median as a factor.
Look more to excessive tire pressure, speed on rough roads, or just ?

Replace them and see what happens next time. In 300000 miles, my Triaxle has lost 4 interior rivets, and loosened one outside.

Buy a $20 rivet gun from Lowes, a $3 box of 1/8" pop rivets... step back and enjoy your handiwork!
Sweat not, theyre just pop rivets, loosing a few offers zero effect on structure.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:41 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
I would discount driving over a median as a factor.
Look more to excessive tire pressure, speed on rough roads, or just ?

Replace them and see what happens next time. In 300000 miles, my Triaxle has lost 4 interior rivets, and loosened one outside.

Buy a $20 rivet gun from Lowes, a $3 box of 1/8" pop rivets... step back and enjoy your handiwork!
Sweat not, theyre just pop rivets, loosing a few offers zero effect on structure.
Thanks A13. I keep my GYE at 80 psi and speed well below rated zoom. We drive hard surface roads. The ‘hump jump’ was the only factor I could consider on last two outings that may have caused the flex.

I will buy the pop rivet set and proceed to make my wife happy by filling in the holes over the dinette. Elsewise, no exterior rivets are missing. All seems copacetic.

Remember, A13, your Excella was built in a different era when materials and workmanship was perhaps better than 2018. Today it is a swag if everything will hold up.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:48 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Thanks A13. I keep my GYE at 80 psi and speed well below rated zoom. We drive hard surface roads. The ‘hump jump’ was the only factor I could consider on last two outings that may have caused the flex.

I will buy the pop rivet set and proceed to make my wife happy by filling in the holes over the dinette. Elsewise, no exterior rivets are missing. All seems copacetic.

Remember, A13, your Excella was built in a different era when materials and workmanship was perhaps better than 2018. Today it is a swag if everything will hold up.
22' Sport... The GYE's have a very stiff sidewall, drop the TP to 65psi.

I started at 80 with our GYE's, dropped to 70 with room to spare.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-08-2018, 05:56 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
22' Sport... The GYE's have a very stiff sidewall, drop the TP to 65psi.

I started at 80 with our GYE's, dropped to 70 with room to spare.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Hey Bob. Thanks but the ‘book’ says 80 psi to support 4500 lbs. Less air and less support. Just thinking out loud.

Don’t want to make this a tire thread - But I’m willing to consider all possible reasons for popping 6 rivets in 7k miles.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:

Mike... were the rivets that popped on the curved section of the interior?

If I have a popped rivet, it has been on the curves.

Reasons why my Rivets Pop:

I have a F350 4x4 as our tow vehicle. Over kill.
I have an Equalizer Hitch. Too stiff.
I was not counting popped rivets when towing with a 4x4 Tundra. Too soft.
I have 16" Michelins running at 60psi. Too.. just too.
I do travel on Forest Service and BLM unpaved roads. Too bad.
The rivet holes vent the heat and cold from the exterior skins

ONE good reason out of 6 is not doing too bad. Popped rivets in the interior indicates you actually use your trailer. Those who claim they have towed their Airstream 120,000 miles without a popped rivet... meant 1,200 miles, poor eye sight and half the trips they forgot to attach the trailer.

We will all survive. The trailer, may not.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:29 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Mike... were the rivets that popped on the curved section of the interior?

If I have a popped rivet, it has been on the curves.

Reasons why my Rivets Pop:

I have a F350 4x4 as our tow vehicle. Over kill.
I have an Equalizer Hitch. Too stiff.
I was not counting popped rivets when towing with a 4x4 Tundra. Too soft.
I have 16" Michelins running at 60psi. Too.. just too.
I do travel on Forest Service and BLM unpaved roads. Too bad.
The rivet holes vent the heat and cold from the exterior skins

ONE good reason out of 6 is not doing too bad. Popped rivets in the interior indicates you actually use your trailer. Those who claim they have towed their Airstream 120,000 miles without a popped rivet... meant 1,200 miles, poor eye sight and half the trips they forgot to attach the trailer.

We will all survive. The trailer, may not.
Ray you gave me a good laugh. Yep my wife said all the popped ones were on the curve.

I may try lowering the GYE pressure to 70 psi. I willl buy the pop rivet kit. I will become an expert at riveting. I will always enjoy the wide open road.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I had to use 'logic' when it came to popped rivets.

If I were to replace a popped rivet, with a similar rivet and expect something different to happen... well, I use the Insanity Option.

I went to Lowes and purchased Lathe Screws. There are two lengths I use. They are recommended for those individuals with an older trailer... like ours. The curved aluminum skin tend to vary in distance from the interior frame. That is why I had to use two lengths of Lathe Screws. I use my battery powered hand held screwdriver to get enough torque to get the screw to thread into the frame. The head of the lathe screw has a thin flair that acts as a washer, so not to damage your interior aluminum skin.

The purists will really burn you at the stake. I would prefer to have Steak and Burn the Purists. But these Lathe Screws hold.

Since we travel on some roads that were made by the Pioneers traveling to the West Coast in the 1850's... popped rivets are a fact of life.

I would not feel bad if you think this is a bad idea.

It will seem more reasonable when the same rivets pop... over and over.

I believe the framing is not firm enough and flexes when the trailer rocks left to right while towing. Of course, that cannot be possible. ...but the tow vehicle, hitch, tires, tire pressure, your fault always, etc...

You will be told you drive too fast, as well. Add that to the list. I have received the wrath of the pop riveter's union often... but man... those Lathe Screws are the 'pimp rivets' in my Airstream.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:37 PM   #13
2016 19ft flying cloud

Spokane , Washington
Covered under warranty
Spinonedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:54 PM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinonedad View Post
Covered under warranty
No, not in my experience.

Quote:
Hey Bob. Thanks but the ‘book’ says 80 psi to support 4500 lbs. Less air and less support. Just thinking out loud.

Don’t want to make this a tire thread - But I’m willing to consider all possible reasons for popping 6 rivets in 7k miles.
Yes... but you have two tires. 2~4500=2250.
POI...at speed your 65 will be closer to 70psi.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-09-2018, 07:30 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Mike... I discuss Popped Rivets.

Where are your Popped Rivets located, this is a point of curious discussion.

Are they:

Most between your door and cabinet, curve?
Next would be the curve directly across from the door popped rivets.
Last would be on the Right Side outside curve in back.

I have a 25 foot and these are the locations of all except one popped rivet. My 23 foot I did not notice a popped rivet, as they were behind the white 'mouse fur they call it'. Somewhere on the Forum I give the exact count and where.

If your popped rivets are in these locations, this tells me there are some weak points within our trailers.

I do believe that Bob is giving you good advice. Those who say correct PSI in your tires creates loose cabinet screws, popped rivets and general mayhem within your Airstream are always YOUR inattention to a long list of necessary, but vague settings. There may be a magic PSI, but try finding it within an Airstream manual.

These are from Tires to Tow Vehicles. Somewhere the engineering of an Airstream should be looked at closer. Not each individual owner who experiences the SAME problems.

Keep track of loose cabinet hardware and popped rivets. Find loose hinges and tighten them. You do not want to damage the cabinets nor floors from falling doors and drawers.

I would like to have the experiences made when the Caravans across Africa and other areas took their toll on these Airstreams.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:18 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:

I got it... have 25 foot layout in mind.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:39 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Miami , Florida
Don't forget a drill!

As is almost always the case, this essential community has stepped up to give you a raft of great answers. Pop rivets are easy to replace; you should buy a rivet gun and some rivets, as advised, because this is a fairly common event, given that we are all towing these large trailers over miles of uneven road, and a simple You Tube video can further explain and show the process.

I am writing to add that a necessary piece of equipment many times is a drill, since often the body of the rivet that popped its head is still in the trailer, blocking insertion of a new rivet. Drill slowly, and you'll soon see that you aren't going to drill through the exterior of the trailer; you just need the old body to pop into the gap between the interior and exterior skins so you can insert the new rivet.

Replacing interior rivets is a wonderful and easy skill to acquire. Go for it!
fotoman1527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:45 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Fort Collins , CO
https://youtu.be/LLth8hRAd68
mikebyrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:05 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
scurry , Texas
order tri-grip blind rivet with aluminum mandrel dome head
.154/.163 x.040-.250 grip
these are design for thin material application
Hanson river supply
Pacoima ca.
ph.800-777-4838
I fly boz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:11 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Redmond/Tucson , Oregon/Arizona
What length rivet - short, med, long by the 1/8" dia?
davetoregon is offline   Reply With Quote