Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2017, 03:41 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Personally I would choose the new vehicle and 1-4 year old Airstream all things being equal. Warranty is more valuable on the new vehicle, and buying a newer used airstream you have allowed someone else to take the depreciation hit, and fix those small items that need attention under warranty.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:45 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluminati View Post
Wise words. ^ ^ ^

Another point to consider: Though we are well within spec, we don't carry anything in our truck other than comfort items for the road. Everything else is packed into the trailer. Your truck can pull way more weight in a trailer than it can haul on board. The ratio can be as much as 10:1.

You may find it easier to pull a larger trailer with capacity to haul all your toys in the trailer rather than in the back of your truck.
My truck has a 3500 pound payload, I try to keep the trailer as light as possible.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:40 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Personally I would choose the new vehicle and 1-4 year old Airstream all things being equal. Warranty is more valuable on the new vehicle, and buying a newer used airstream you have allowed someone else to take the depreciation hit, and fix those small items that need attention under warranty.
I agree.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:30 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
My truck has a 3500 pound payload, I try to keep the trailer as light as possible.
Yeah, it's probably best you have a 3500. The heavy trucks are more forgiving of operator error.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:40 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Just trying to point out that those of us without marginal tv do not worry about payload. You have no idea about my operating skills.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:52 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluminati View Post
Yeah, it's probably best you have a 3500. The heavy trucks are more forgiving of operator error.
Absolutely NOT true.

However, it is really nice to not have to unload stuff from the trailer when you get to the campground. And the trailer stays nicer without stuff loaded into it.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:31 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
I would agree, that if looking at one or the other, the biggest thing to buying new is the warranty and I would want it for the highest potential for repair cost, that more than likely being for a motor. On the other hand though, when considering the reliability of how today's vehicle are made as compared to airstream, you might use the warranty more for the trailer.

As for buying used vehicles, in today's world there are many more tools which you can use to reduce the chances of getting a real lemon with issues. My most recent car purchase, I found that using/referencing Carfax to actually find the vehicle shows how many owners it had, how often it was brought into a reputable service center whether there were any accidents and it also tells you what type of ownership, that being personal or corporate. You can see how many times it was serviced and whether it was a standard or problem service. For instance the 2013 with 34k miles for $28,888 seems good middle ground

Here is a link to a search for a Tahoe <--- click
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:33 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Beefing up the suspension might make you feel better when it comes to carrying capacity. Unless you go all in with increased axle ratings and other drive train components you are only masking the situation.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:45 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Just trying to point out that those of us without marginal tv do not worry about payload. You have no idea about my operating skills.
I must have misunderstood. Please forgive me if I did.

There was someone here who said he didn't need weight distribution because he had a 3/4 ton pickup, and when he hitched up, he had only 2" tail drop and 1" nose lift (or something along that line). He said he didn't think he was a road hazard with his heavy truck that far out of balance. He said his own "seat of the pants" experience was proof that he didn't need WD. Learning from the seat of your pants is great if you sit on your head. But blithe ignorance is unforgivable when you're hauling 10 tons of metal down the interstate a mile a minute.

For that guy, I know all too well what his operating skills are. He left no questions about that! I hope I'm never driving in the same county with him.

Please forgive me for thinking that was you. My sincerest apologies.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:52 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
That would be me, and you do not know what you are talking about. My skills and my set up are safe, I don't drink the cool aid. I have used a WD hitch on mine and find no difference in handling or safety, please don't keep repeating false info. Each set up is unique. The more marginal your tv is, the more mods one needs to do to make it safe. I don't consider your Toyota marginal, by the way, it is just lacking in useable payload, which means not having to store everything in the trailer. My truck is a one ton, the rear dropping a couple inches only makes the handling safer. Raising the front an inch is insignificant on my truck. An unloaded one ton bounces all over the road until a payload is applied.dont confuse WD with sway control, which I use two of.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:55 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Dublin , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
I would agree, that if looking at one or the other, the biggest thing to buying new is the warranty and I would want it for the highest potential for repair cost, that more than likely being for a motor. On the other hand though, when considering the reliability of how today's vehicle are made as compared to airstream, you might use the warranty more for the trailer.

As for buying used vehicles, in today's world there are many more tools which you can use to reduce the chances of getting a real lemon with issues. My most recent car purchase, I found that using/referencing Carfax to actually find the vehicle shows how many owners it had, how often it was brought into a reputable service center whether there were any accidents and it also tells you what type of ownership, that being personal or corporate. You can see how many times it was serviced and whether it was a standard or problem service. For instance the 2013 with 34k miles for $28,888 seems good middle ground

Here is a link to a search for a Tahoe <--- click
Thanks Randy, these are good thoughts and I will check out the link!
bikechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:33 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I know you like the thought of having an SUV but my opinion is that you should take a second look at a half ton truck. All of them are really nice these days. Check out the Dodge Ram 1500 in a mid-grade trim line. You will get more payload but have a similar ride to the Grand Cherokee - very similar suspensions.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:51 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Check out the Dodge Ram 1500 in a mid-grade trim line. You will get more payload but have a similar ride to the Grand Cherokee - very similar suspensions.
To the best of my knowledge, it is no longer true that the suspensions are similar. Starting with the 2011 model, the Jeep Grand Cherokee has had independent suspension for all four wheels while the Ram 1500 has a 5-link suspension for a solid rear axle (similar to the Jeep GC suspension between about 2006 and 2011).

Nothing wrong with the Ram 1500, though.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:00 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Tim,
I believe you are correct. I just had coil spring on the brain and forgot about the truck still having a solid rear axle.
WBCCI # 3072
Old 01-04-2017, 06:17 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Dublin , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I know you like the thought of having an SUV but my opinion is that you should take a second look at a half ton truck. All of them are really nice these days. Check out the Dodge Ram 1500 in a mid-grade trim line. You will get more payload but have a similar ride to the Grand Cherokee - very similar suspensions.
The reasons that I shy away from a truck are that

1)It will be outdoors 24x7 and that would be OK if I did not live in a 4 season area with plans to eventually move to Wisconsin. I just picture myself having to climb up on a slippery running board and stretching and reaching to scrape ice off the windshield and rear window.

2) When my wife and I travel without the AS, it might be a little more pleasant in a SUV than a truck. We are getting older, my wife has some arthritis and I can't imagine her being happy with having to climb in and out of a truck while holding a grab handle.

That said, I have not entirely ruled out a pick-up, I just think that I would prefer an SUV if I can find one with the right capabilities that I can afford.
bikechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:13 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I can certainly sympathize with you about climbing in and out of tall vehicle. Not much fun day after day. We have all extremes at our house. A Honda civic econobox that is like sitting on a skateboard - a pain to get in and out, a Dodge 2500 4x4 - must step in and out and a Grand Cherokee that is just right - butt height.

There is one possible answer and that is power folding steps for high vehicles. These are supposed to come down further to the ground than fixed running boards. Most folks really seem to like the AMP STEPS. They are on my wish list.
http://www.amp-research.com/products...ies/powerstep/
WBCCI # 3072
Old 01-05-2017, 08:21 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Most of the SUVs that are strong TVs are based on the same chassis as their stablemate pickups. Suburban will be pretty much the same height as a Silverado, and the Expedition will be about the same as the F series. My Sequoia is the same as a Tundra. The lower riding SUVs like Trailblazer, Highlander, Flex, will have greatly reduced towing capacity.

You may find that a well placed running board on a pickup or SUV will make boarding fairly easy.

Painting with a broad brush here: Pound for pound, European SUVs tend to have higher towing capacity than their US or Japanese counterparts. You may find a MB, BMW, VW, Audi, Porsche that meets your needs and has easier access than the big three or the Japanese.