Old 06-23-2018, 02:53 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
General rule for a WD hitch is use the lightest bars available.
Unless you are towing with a VW bug or a Smart Car I am not sure you even need a WD hitch.

You could need some form of sway control but that function is most often built into the WD hitch so use the lightest you can find.

I have a 19’ FC that is 550 dry tongue weight and about 4,000 or slightly more trailer weight. With a Husky Centerline I can’t decide which would work best ... spring bars 400-600/ 6,000 lbs or 600-800/ 8,000 lbs. Would tongue weight be the deciding factor rather than trailer weight? With water and the hitch weight the tongue might go up a bit.

tjwoods1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:16 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwoods1 View Post
I have a 19’ FC that is 550 dry tongue weight and about 4,000 or slightly more trailer weight. With a Husky Centerline I can’t decide which would work best ... spring bars 400-600/ 6,000 lbs or 600-800/ 8,000 lbs. Would tongue weight be the deciding factor rather than trailer weight? With water and the hitch weight the tongue might go up a bit.
A big part of that equation is your tow vehicle. What are you towing with?

Tongue Mount Honda eu2200i - Rear Hitch - Underbelly Storage - Blizzard NXT w/ EasyStart - 3" Lift - 6" Fan Controller
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:49 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
A big part of that equation is your tow vehicle. What are you towing with?

Nissan Frontier SVX 4WD. Tow capacity 6,100 lbs
Old 06-24-2018, 03:29 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Nissan Frontier SVS 4WD - Tow Capacity 6,000.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:58 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Minneapolis , Minnesota
The TV we are hoping to get is a Ford f150. After the replies here and looking over other threads and talking with our AS dealer my current plan is to get a regular ball hitch and probably the reese sway bar I linked to earlier. Once our dealer heard we were looking to get an f150 he said we would be totally fine with a regular hitch and saw no need for any wd at all.
fishbisquit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:44 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwoods1 View Post
Nissan Frontier SVS 4WD - Tow Capacity 6,000.

Opps - sorry for the double post.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:19 AM   #35
Traveler

1964 19' Globetrotter
Comox , British Columbia
Try towing without the add-ons and see how your trailer handles. With a small trailer & a large TV you likely don't need anything. I made the mistake of pulling a 20' trailer with a large TV and WD hitch. The trailer sustained damage in the form of popped rivets and bent / cracked body panels.

Friction sway bars are a waste of money - while they sort-of work, they are far from ideal.

I use neither WD nor sway control and my trailer pulls just fine.
64GlobeTrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:38 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Welcome fishbisquit!

The Equalizr is super easy to use and very effective. The ONLY negative as put forth by Andy Thompson of Canam (the Toronto, Canada AS dealership, and perhaps the leading expert on all things about towing Aitstreams) is the aforementioned symmetrical bars. You do need to be careful going through deep dips like steep driveway entrances. So get the lightest weight Equalizr to do the job and you’ll be fine.

As far as the F-150, that’s a great TV for your Bambi. Andy prefers SUV’s to pickups because of chucking or porpoising with the separated bed and body, but other than that, if you’re pickup people, go for it!

One caution—payload. Make sure that the sticker on your particular truck shows enough payload left over after you subtract the tongue weight of your Bambi when loaded fir camping (NOT the spec in the manual which may be an empty trailer stat) , the weight of you and family AND ANYTHING ELSE that you put in the truck! Some trucks overloaded with options may not have much payload to spare.

Good luck!
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:38 AM   #37
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Felton , Delaware
same set up here and say the same thing.
Dallashayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:19 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Chico , California
I have used a 6K Equalizer hitch assembly with my 19' Safari Bambi and 4 different TVs. While the tongue weight of the AS when fully loaded is only about 500#, my 2018 Ford F-150 FX4 loaded with camping gear and a full tank squats nearly 3" when the trailer is coupled before installing the Equalizer bars. 4X4s are typically sprung higher than 4X2s. Both trailer and TV benefit from WD even when the TV is well under its loading capacity.

Going to a used heavier capacity Equalizer than 4-6K to save money will subject your trailer to excessive pounding and will cause breakage of rivets, screws, caulking, etc. Spring for a new matched Equalizer and you won't regret it.

With a 2016-up F-150 you'll need a hitch shank with at least a 10" length hole to hole if you want to be able to open the tailgate with the trailer hitched. Otherwise the tall tailgate will strike the AS jack tube.
richcrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:20 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Eagle Point , Oregon
There are too many variables to give a perfect answer. What works well for some will not work for others. IMHO hook your TT to your TV. Are both still level? An adjustable drop hitch may be needed if not. Take it for a short drive. Do you have experience with similar TV and towing? Are you comfortable towing? Will you be racing down the Interstate at 75+ MPH to get to your destination or taking other roads at your leisure? Do you weave in and out of traffic? Can you wait out bad weather/heavy traffic or need to race on regardless of conditions? Any of these questions may influence your choices. Above all make sure you can be relaxed and comfortable while driving. I, like many others, tow 'on the ball'. I also stay off the Interstates when possible and rarely go over 60 MPH. With over 50 years towing and nearly 4 million miles I'm comfortable but, my TV and 31' TT are nearly perfectly matched, loaded, and level. If I need to carry more weight in the TV then I will need a hitch also to keep it level. Others would not think of going out the driveway without an expensive WD hitch. Have fun and be safe.
1976 Sovereign 31' CB Rear Twin towed 'on the ball'.
Olscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:22 PM   #40

2016 22' Sport
Knoxville , Tennessee
Hitch

I may get some grief here but I believe the best in the industry may be the Hensley. You can probably use the Hensley Swift Cub, thats the one I have. I'll never use another anti-sway/load equalizing hitch. Watch the video here: https://www.hensleymfg.com/hensley-hitch-video/
mshumer995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:23 PM   #41
Superannuated Member

2001 19' Bambi
Beaver Lake , Arkansas
and yet another chimes in...

My 19ft. Bambi came with an Eaz-Lift WD hitch with sway control link. I used just the ball to tow it home 375 miles behind a '13 Expedition 5.4L. I could run 61mph OK, but at 65 the trailer started to sway and I had to touch the electric brake to bring it back down. Also had much sway when passing / being passed by semis.

Now things are different. I have learned to use the WD and sway bits. One could forget there is a trailer back there, it is so much better. I have run as fast as 85mph, and cruise all day at the posted limit +3 with no towing issues. I think the sway link is the most important component because the light trailer is like a big sail in the wind. The WD helps keep the headlights level, but is more important when the trailer is heavier in proportion to the TV. In my case, as in yours, the TV is sufficiently heavy to more than adequately control the trailer. When I tow the same Bambi behind my '90 F-150 (a much lighter truck than the Expedition) it tugs and jerks at the hitch more noticeably. I think the SUV has an advantage with more weight on the rear axle to resist the inertia of the trailer. And if the WD bars are too stiff for the weight of the trailer it would make the whole rig too stiff, placing too much load on the trailer axle.

Bottom line: You can tow a 16ft. trailer with an F-150 without trailer brakes, WD, sway or anything. But you will probably notice the improvement if you upgrade.
Aironius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:25 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
San Francisco , California
I have a 19' Flying Cloud, pulling with a 2017 Tundra. I really like the Equalizer hitch which performed well in two close calls with falling rocks and a bad other driver. The truck and trailer were as one and we avoided any accidents. One thing I subscribe to is buy new when it comes to hitches (and many other things). You have the manufacturer's warranty and if your trailer dealer installs it, it's on them for proper installation. Used items, you get no warranty, no guarantees. Safety first and your insurance carrier will be happier with new. You shouldn't have any issue if you went higher weight rated hitch on your 16 footer, but it will have some increased weight. Yet, at 6000 lb rating, it means you could go up to a 23' , Airstream and that hitch will still work. I've contemplated going from 19' to 23' myself and discussed this with my AS dealer here in the SF Bay area (Fairfield) and they're the largest in the US. I would stick with the 6000 lb Equilizer, new, and if a day comes you go up in trailer size, over 23', then switch out. You'll be pleased with the Equilzer. Once installed, you'll here some popping sounds, it's the hitch arms, makes you think something broke. It is normal as it breaks in and Equilizer makes a grease to use on those arms where they connect to the main body of the hitch that eliminates the noise. Hope this helps.

Posse96 is offline   Reply With Quote