Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2018, 09:18 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Minneapolis , Minnesota
Overrated equalizer hitch on sport 16? Any issues?

Hello,
My wife an I just purchased a new 2018 AS Sport 16rb. Very excited and have a million questions. First is the hitch. I'm pretty sure we are going to go with an Equalizer brand wd sway hitch. For the Sport the 600 tw / 6000 lbs version looks perfect. However there a few of the higher capacity hitches on the local used market. Some half the cost of the new 600 hitch. Would there be any issues with using a higher rated hitch on our 3500lb trailer? Any performance issues? Are there any concerns with using a used hitch?

Thanks!
fishbisquit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
You do not mention the tow vehicle, but probably a lighter SUV or Pickup.

Equalizer hitches worked out fine for our 23 foot with the chain, and our 25 foot with the spring bars. Simple and easy to set up. Never had a sway issue.

The chain drop springs had the sway bar set up which never was needed in high wind or towing conditions, pulled with a 2006 Tundra.

Someone with a 16 foot would be your best advice, but lets get some conversations going and get you on the road!

Enjoy your 16 footer. A go anywhere trailer.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
General rule for a WD hitch is use the lightest bars available.
Unless you are towing with a VW bug or a Smart Car I am not sure you even need a WD hitch.

You could need some form of sway control but that function is most often built into the WD hitch so use the lightest you can find.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:57 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Minneapolis , Minnesota
Thanks for the replies so far. We are in the process of searching for a new TV. We are zeroing in on a Ford F 150. We know it's over kill. But the design inside and out really appeal to us and there seems to be some really good deals right now. I've been trying to wade through all the WD or not for a small trailer threads but it really seems to come down to preference. I will need to get a hitch no matter what, so if I can get a used equalizer for $250 I think that makes sense. But I'm totally new to pulling anything over a 1000lbs.

My main concern is if the higher rated sway bars will add some undesirable performance to towing a lighter trailer?
Old 06-21-2018, 11:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I've been using the Equalizer hitch for a long time & on two different trailers & three different tow vehicles. My current set up is a combination of our Airstream 25' towed by our Nissan Titan XD 4x4. I use the 1000 lb bars which some may say may be an over kill & cause a stiff ride & harsh treatment of the trailer but the truth is after 20,000 miles of towing it was the right choice for me. If I read you correct you plan on using the 600/6000 setup & that sounds about right for a 16' AS however, your tow vehicle does come into play here. You should be very happy with your hitch choice as the Equalizer does a great job and is very easy to set up & remove.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:20 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Minneapolis , Minnesota
Will using an equalizer hitch rated for 10,000 pounds on a trailer that is only 3500 pounds negativly affect our towing performance?
Old 06-21-2018, 01:17 PM   #7
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
If you are going tow a 16' with an F150, you really do not need WD, just an anti-sway friction bar. A 10,000 lb WD hitch won't hurt your towing performance, but could have a negative affect on the trailer

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:42 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Petaluma , California
Not to thread hi-jack too much, but I have a 19' sovereign with a dry tongue weight of 550 and dry weight of around 4000 lbs. I just realized my setup is rated at 1k tongue and 10k lb max..

is that actually bad for the trailer? We've towed with it and it seemed fine, but then again, I wouldn't really know what to look for if it wasn't ok.
cgseanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
i would not drive without ....

i have a 22fb sport

i would not drive without
  • WD
  • sway bars
  • brake controller
  • rearview camera

as others have posted.

to take it to a tristed trck stop triple weigh scal once you feel the load is balance and enbsure you have a book balance of weight
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:43 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Anywhere , IN
When I purchased my Sport 16, I also purchased a WD that the seasoned installer at dealer talked me out of. He said it was over kill and probably would be too stiff and cause rivets to pop. He talked me into lighter Anderson chain type. I had no experience before this. So far it has been fine. My tv is a 2005 Tacoma TRD 2 wheel drive. I have only traveled about 3000 miles. So far all is good.
Good luck
KRPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Good for you that you are committed to using a WD/anti-sway solution. Extra margin of stability is always useful, even for a rig that may not need it. In your case, it’s not overkill in my mind.

To your specific question about overspec’ing the WD hitch capacity. The primary issue here is lash up flexibility, or the ability of the tow vehicle to move independently of the trailer (or vice versa). A higher capacity WD hitch generally has a more stout construction, but more concerning is less flexible WD bars. The WD bars are inherently adjustable for the amount of WD applied so you can dial in less, BUT they also don’t flex as easily for say, entering a driveway. So your trailer will bear more load trying to act against a heavier inflexible load bars. The Equalizer detractor (and its greatest strength) is specifically that it’s WD bars are not tapered, and therefore flex less (or apply more force to the trailer) than say another brands 1000lb load bars as an example. So to use a higher capacity Equalizer model on a lighter trailer, doubles its inherent negative.

I would get the appropriate 600lb/6000lb model for your application. Though I also would encourage you to look into the Anderson for your application that doesn’t need as much WD. I’ve used both Equalizer and Anderson. Both would be easy to use and great for your setup.

Found another really long thread on the Equalizer in regards to using for a 22’ AS
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ves-49136.html
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post

I would get the appropriate 600lb/6000lb model for your application. Though I also would encourage you to look into the Anderson for your application that doesn’t need as much WD. I’ve used both Equalizer and Anderson. Both would be easy to use and great for your setup.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ves-49136.html
Isn't that the rock carver guy?
Old 06-21-2018, 08:59 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Minneapolis , Minnesota
Thanks Everyone! Talked with our AS dealer and he advised me to purchase the recommended 6000lb or even the new 4000lb equalizer wd hitch. Basically stating the same concerns others here have mentioned. Now thanks to Pteck I need to research Anderson hitches. Anyone else reccomend them for the smaller AS? All of this research is a bit daunting but totally fun at the same time. Thanks again for the help!
Old 06-21-2018, 10:15 PM   #14
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Do not purchase the Andersen hitch. It is a poor design and the owner of the Andersen company is currently the subject of a thread involving the defacement of an Arch on public land.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f224...179854-28.html

Issues with hitch - poor weight distribution and limited sway control due to small cone surface area.

Equal-i-zer hitch is well liked because it is simple to install after original setup. However, it is too stiff for the Airstream chassis design. If you end up with one, do not run heavy bars and take extreme caution when transitioning driveways and road dips. Note sharp backup turns can bend the A-frame brackets and break bolts, but that is all more likely with the clones.

The Eaz-lift with a friction sway strut is least expensive solution and is flexible enough for the AS. The problem with it is that it is delivered with a cast shank, but a solid welded steel shank is easy enough to find as a replacement. Total is about $350. A brake pad sway control strut does need to be adjusted for sharp backup turns. Recommended as good performing cost effective hitch.

The Reese dual cam is a very good hitch with integrated sway control and it is recommended that the heavier/stiffer the tow vehicle, the lighter bars you should use.

The Blue Ox Sway Pro is a flexible hitch with spring bar sway control. A good alternative. Issue with it is controlling the spring bar energy when setting or releasing. Easy if you raise the rig with tongue jack.

The PPP hitches are expensive, but quite effective at sway elimination. The Hensley Cub is the light weight version and less expensive. If $1500 is in your budget, research the design. Recommended as best performing hitch.

Of course, the above is my personal opinion. Suggest you research and determine what is best for you.

Travel safe - Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:14 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
We towed our 2015 22 FB with our 2014 Honda Ridgeline for a year w/o any WD or AS hitch. Then I purchased the Andersen and it made a difference. Got the tongue weight evenly distributed and eliminated the tiny sway we occasionally experienced prior.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:24 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
The Equal-I-Zer hitch is a breeze to use, functions flawlessly on the road especially in high winds, and if set up correctly, will give a lifetime of good use. Mine is on a 22FB.

Pat I agree that the Anderson hitch would be last on my list due to the owner’s defacement of the National monument at Arches. I don’t understand why you fault The Equal-I-Zer hitch for bending something as ridgid as an AS frame. This makes no sense. Our dealer sells all the major brands and chooses The Equal-I-Zer hitch for most AS.

I believe if it were capable of bending the A-frame of an AS I would find fault with AS and certainly the dealer for recommending and installing it. That said, The Equal-I-Zer hitch is a breeze to hook up and was a great choice for our weight RV and TV combo.
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:45 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Lakeridge , Virginia
Why

If you end up with a F150, using a WD hitch makes no sense. Check out the yellow sticker on your Bambi. If you fill the water and propane tanks, you barely have 400lbs of carrying capacity before you anything. May sound like plenty, but think about your trailer gear (power cord, chocks, hoses, etc.), your cooking stuff, your bedding and clothes, your food and beverages, and all your other stuff. All loaded up the Bambi's axle is pretty much maxed out. Meanwhile, any F150 is well below all it's capacities (payload, towing, axle, and the rest) and the front axle is firmly planted (no steering issues). It just does not make sense to transfer any weight from the truck to the trailer. Adding friction sway control can't hurt, but save your money and your Sport by forgoing the WD hitch.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:05 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Minneapolis , Minnesota
@ Peanut This is an interesting take. I hadn't thought of it that way.
Are there just sway control hitches that don't redistribute the weight? Any recommendations for this kind of hitch?
Old 06-22-2018, 09:50 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbisquit View Post
I'm pretty sure we are going to go with an Equalizer brand wd sway hitch. For the Sport the 600 tw / 6000 lbs version looks perfect. However there a few of the higher capacity hitches on the local used market. Some half the cost of the new 600 hitch. Would there be any issues with using a higher rated hitch on our 3500lb trailer? Any performance issues? Are there any concerns with using a used hitch?
I got my Equalizer hitch used, and at a steal! The owner had bartered some work for it and had no use for one. He put it on Craig's List, and I was on my way!
But it was just the size I needed. Of course, the naysayers here were sure it would fail the first trip, but it's great!
I wouldn't recommend using a hitch with stiffer bars because that might make the ride more jarring.
The other potential problem with a used hitch is the dealer won't want to install it. He wants to sell you a hitch marked up $$$.
Learning how to adjust your own hitch is a good thing although it forces you to add tools to your collection. (Hello, Harbor Freight!)

I had adjusted the head on my TV, and the dealer compromised by charging me one hour labor and he bolted the "L" brackets on the frame. I thought that was fair.

Since you have a smaller trailer, check out the Fastway E-2. It's the baby brother to the Equalizer, operating on the same principle, but with smaller parts and less cost.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:16 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbisquit View Post
Thanks Everyone! Talked with our AS dealer and he advised me to purchase the recommended 6000lb or even the new 4000lb equalizer wd hitch. Basically stating the same concerns others here have mentioned. Now thanks to Pteck I need to research Anderson hitches. Anyone else reccomend them for the smaller AS? All of this research is a bit daunting but totally fun at the same time. Thanks again for the help!
I've used the Anderson with a 22' Airstream on my prior rig. Pleasure to use. Light, easy, and effective. Looks great too with a mostly aluminum build and no exposed greased parts to dirty your pants on. For your particular setup, it would be my first choice.

With my 27FB and heavier weights, I know my setup needs more WD for stability. Something the Anderson is not great at. Yet I still want ease of use and excellent stability. Hence my use of the Equalizer. For this size trailer and setup, it's the ticket. Without more inconvenience and complexity of things like centering cams, finicky tensioners, or pivot projecting hitches, which I don't particularly need as my tow vehicle is burly and heavy.

It might be just me, but I don't get into company politics and such. It's about what's best for me and the value proposition of the product for me. Otherwise, I'd swear off too many great things, including a bunch of technology products.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote