Old 10-01-2009, 11:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2003 22' International CCD
Carlsbad , California
Ouch! '07 Bambi body damage

Hi - had a leak at my front wrap around window and took it in to (for now unnamed rv center) for a pressurized leak test. So they told me leaks were coming from around window hinges but they want to check further. I went to check tonight to see if they had finished and saw what I thought were dents in the panels (it is a bit dirty). Looking up close, I see that they have sprung the stone guard front window covers so far open, they have dented and scratched the adjacent panels.
Manager is supposed to call me in the morning. Doesn't look good....can this be repaired or do I need to talk with them about panel replacement?
I'll try and attach a couple of pics.
GRRRRRRRRRR>

2007 Bambi 19" (cool upgrades coming)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1641.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	88062   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1642.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	88063  

Old 10-01-2009, 11:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacosta31 View Post
Hi - had a leak at my front wrap around window and took it in to (for now unnamed rv center) for a pressurized leak test. So they told me leaks were coming from around window hinges but they want to check further. I went to check tonight to see if they had finished and saw what I thought were dents in the panels (it is a bit dirty). Looking up close, I see that they have sprung the stone guard front window covers so far open, they have dented and scratched the adjacent panels.
Manager is supposed to call me in the morning. Doesn't look good....can this be repaired or do I need to talk with them about panel replacement?
I'll try and attach a couple of pics.
GRRRRRRRRRR>

2007 Bambi 19" (cool upgrades coming)
Those segments cannot be repaired.

The only fix, is replacement..

Depending on a shops labor rate, each one of those segments will cost about $1100.00 to $1200.00 to replace.

You might consider advising your insurance company and place them on notice of the issue. They can pay for the work and then subrogate on the shop that caused the damage.

You can also have the shops insurance company pay for the replacements.

I would not suggest that you have the same shop replace the segments. First of all, if they are not a dealer, they cannot buy any parts from Airstream.

If those 2 segments are not properly replaced and sealed both internally as well as externally, you will have water leaks you don't even want to talk about.

Using a shop that has extensive Airstream sheet metal replacement experience, will assure you of proper replacement.

Andy

Old 10-01-2009, 11:24 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Carlsbad , California
Thanks Andy- Good to know. Gives me something to tell the manager in the morning. I'll start by asking them to notify their insurance. Not sure what the tech was thinking? Must have pushed pretty hard on the panels. Have you seen this happen before?
Old 10-01-2009, 11:49 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1970 23' Safari
1956 16' Bubble
Jamul , California
Ouch!
I think Andy's advise is spot on, good luck getting it all taken care of.
I've had two leaks, both properly taken care of.
Stream Safe,
Bob U-
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1970 Safari 23' Land Yacht
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:59 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
That's a nasty dent. We had leaks in the same area of the wrap around windows in our Bambi. Took it to the dealer who "fixed" it and it still leaks. Luckily, we have no dents.

I am interested if your leak is fixed and what exactly was the fix, if you know. I am not at all sure that my dealer's service personnel know how to fix the leak or really tried very hard. My confidence in their ability is low. Not sure what my next move is or where to go.

Regards,
Caryl
Old 10-02-2009, 12:12 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
I guess that I was fortunate

After seeing what happened to you, I feel lucky that Revolution RV (where we bought our AS and now out of business) only put a small dimple in the upper rear left rounded panel. We took it in for warranty work when it was new and it came back with a small dent and no warranty work done. But those dents in yours...one wonders what they thought they'd get away with?
Old 10-02-2009, 01:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks Andy- Good to know. Gives me something to tell the manager in the morning. I'll start by asking them to notify their insurance. Not sure what the tech was thinking? Must have pushed pretty hard on the panels. Have you seen this happen before?
I have seen the same segments dented numerous times.

Always the same reason.

Carelessness, by an inexperienced shop, and a few times by the owners themselves.

Leaving the wrap window rockguards unlatched to clean those windows, and then unattended, is not wise. A small wind gust can move them with enough force to cause those dents.

Best way to clean the wrap windows is to take the rock guards off, by simply raising them upward off the hinges, then put them back afterwards.

Searching for water leaks in the same areas would require the removal of the rockguards as well.

Once those segments have been dented, they are done, as the metal was stretched by the cause of the dent.

Andy
Old 10-02-2009, 01:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl View Post
That's a nasty dent. We had leaks in the same area of the wrap around windows in our Bambi. Took it to the dealer who "fixed" it and it still leaks. Luckily, we have no dents.

I am interested if your leak is fixed and what exactly was the fix, if you know. I am not at all sure that my dealer's service personnel know how to fix the leak or really tried very hard. My confidence in their ability is low. Not sure what my next move is or where to go.

Regards,
Caryl
I would suggest, in order to protect your warranty interests, that you send Airstream a certified letter, advising them of the problem, and asking them what they suggest you do, to resolve the leak problem.

Water leaks are seldom difficult to correct, "IF" the dealer has someone that really knows the Airstream products, inside and out, very intimately.

If not, then things such as water leaks, continue to be a problem.

Many years ago, the boxy Land Yacht motor homes did have a leak problem, at the roof to sidewall junction, that took several months for the factory to pin point the reason, which turned out to be a flaw in the construction method.

Andy
Old 10-02-2009, 09:16 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Wimberley , Texas
Seems like it would be better to create some kind of trim piece to cover it than ripping up the Bambi. If it is repaired it may happen again. Sort of like having a windshield replaced. A trim piece could beef it up so it may not happen again. My Bambi has marks and slight indentations just from, like Andy said, cleaning them. Good luck and let us know what happens.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:04 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Carlsbad , California
Thanks everybody, I'll keep you posted. Trim piece? The trailer is pretty new and well maintained. It was in pristine condition when I took it there and I would like to get it back in the same way. Not sure any trim piece could look good. Yes replacing those panels would be like radical surgery but couldn't a qualified repair shop do a good job? or am I asking for more problems from the tear down and replacement? I know replacement rivets are different from those from factory build. Talking to the Mgr. this morning.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks everybody, I'll keep you posted. Trim piece? The trailer is pretty new and well maintained. It was in pristine condition when I took it there and I would like to get it back in the same way. Not sure any trim piece could look good. Yes replacing those panels would be like radical surgery but couldn't a qualified repair shop do a good job? or am I asking for more problems from the tear down and replacement? I know replacement rivets are different from those from factory build. Talking to the Mgr. this morning.
Proper and correct sheet metal replacement on an Airstream trailer ot motorhome, is a piece of cake, for a shop that has done it time and time again, and that has a proven history.

If the replacements take place at a wanna bees, then that an entirely different program.

Wanna bees are usually a shop that is not directly connected with Airstream, and cannot buy the parts, unless they are in Ohio at the factory, or from another dealer.

When that happens, the repair costs are inflated out of proportion.

Andy
Old 10-02-2009, 11:45 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Sorry for your Loss

I feel your pain and as others have said its best to go to a shop with Airstream experience and let your insurance company know of YOUR decision as to where to have repairs made. There used to be an Airstream dealer in San Diego but have since gone by the way side. The closest authorized Airstream repair dealer to you and the best in my opinion is C & G Trailer in Bellflower. Contact Rod or Darlene at 562 634-6286 you'll be happy you did. Best of luck.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
mileage

If you get an insurance company involved, you will need a written estimate from a dealer of your choice.

Be advised, that insurance companies cannot provide an accurate estimate of repairs to your Airstream, but they will try.

They may attempt to give you a check based on their estimate.

Refuse any and all offers from any insurance company and again, get a written estimate from a dealer of your choice.

Andy
Old 10-02-2009, 12:59 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Mileage

The mileage from Carlsbad to

Irvine Ca 52.5
Bellflower 77.2
Corona 79.5
As per google maps
In my opinion C & G Trailer are the best however getting quotes from two are a good idea

Tags
2007 bambi