Old 10-02-2009, 08:03 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
I second the vote for C & G. They are very experienced at panel replacement, a friend of mine just had all of his upper rear endcaps replaced on his Bambi and they did an excellent job in a very timely manner. They also did an excellent job of replacing the floor in my '06 Bambi after the leaking water tank rotted the floor out. First class outfit.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:14 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Keep us posted on your repair issues and perhaps a name of the shop it is in now. I'm sure others would like to know where not to take their Airstream to. Best of luck to you and we all feel your pain.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2003 22' International CCD
Carlsbad , California
Hi - OK I met with the manager of the still unnamed RV center. He was quite nice and understood that I would just like to have our trailer returned the same way it went in. He did not get defensive or try to make excuses. Said that they stand behind their work and that he would get it resolved.
I told him that I would only feel comfortable with repairs by an authorized repair center. He claimed that they had some experience with Airstream and that he would see it through. Without getting into all the specifics...the direction he said he was going was satisfactory to me (other than the pain in the rear and inconvenience). However things are never over until they are over, so I'll post more on the situation as it takes shape.
I just wanted to say that this is my first post and the response from everyone was great....thanks...(well what should I expect from the Airstream community?). I look forward to contributing as well. Starting some interesting interior mods and I'm sure I'll need some direction : )
Old 10-03-2009, 10:16 PM   #18
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacosta31 View Post
..It was in pristine condition when I took it there and I would like to get it back in the same way...
hi ya gator...

nasty dent, bummer of a deal.

BUT consider NOT having it repaired.

assuming the sealants are TIGHT on the window and panels, once the rock guards are back on this won't be real visible.

insurance might cover the costs, the dealer might pay for the repairs...

BUT it will not be exactly as NEW.

it order to get that "pristine" look, bucked rivets are needed.

that means PULLING OUT THE INTERIOR SKIN and furnishings...

most a/s dealers don't do this type repair, much less non a/s shops.

get a bid from the factory in j/c (email a bunch of photos) for AS NEW repair...

meaning with bucked rivets.

the price will be shocking, but the repair estimate from the factory can be used for a SETTLEMENT with the rv shop.

yes it can be repaired at most a/s shops with olympic rivets, but it will not be PRISTINE...

i've seen some very good panel replacements done by dealers but there are subtle clues to the repair and the potential for LEAKS at the window...

i see no reason to disrupt a perfectly sound shell for this issue.

yes it's painful, yes your baby has been nicked up,

but imo the common repair is NOT a "as new" solution,

and travel to j/c for 'as new' repair could approach 10k$ with transport and travel expenses.

another way to soften the look is to add a window perimeter vinyl graffic...

maybe eye lashes or eye brows...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Wimberley , Texas
I was starting to think I was the only one that thought that way. I almost got grumpy again. No matter which way you decide to approach it, good luck, we all feel your pain.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:33 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I have the same "beauty marks" on my '86 Sovereign. It hasn't caused any problems but then it is 23 years old. Ouch is what I would think if it was pristine and that happened.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:30 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2003 22' International CCD
Carlsbad , California
Fixed - well I know that nothing ever goes back the same as the way it left the factory, but the panels have been replaced. Camping World's (now I'll say their name) manager paid to have the damaged panels replaced. They had some experience with C&G Trailer in the past and worked out the cost of the replacement with them.
I had some warrantee experience with C&G while I was still covered and so I felt comfortable with where it was going at least. The replacement was done quickly. Thought I was just going in for a simple pressure leak test, but wound up with the damage. C&G does not have the pressurization equipment (they are thinking about getting it). So now I'm still not sure if the leak is fixed, but I'll be flood testing it or waiting for the first rain.
Thanks for all the advice from everyone about what to expect to make a proper repair. About the idea of the diminished value from "new" and the rivet type, .....we got the Bambi for a good price initially because of a dented panel (one of the ones just redone but we had it replaced). So "pristine" was a bit of hyperbole as it wasn't completely untouched (but repaired to scratch free). Besides we will put some scratches on it as we use it
So now on to the custom tricks and finishes....just put in a custom mat under the propane tanks ....I'll post it soon.
Thanks again everyone for your input and guidance.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:46 PM   #22
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacosta31 View Post
Fixed...
thanks for the followup!

always good to read about a good outcome from a happy camper.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2007 bambi