Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Leesburg , Virginia
Noob needs advice

I mentioned in another thread that we just purchased a used 2006 19' Bambi 75th Anniv CCD. I have been reading myself blind in these forums, but have failed to find the specific advice I am looking for.

We drove from San Antonio, TX to Naples, FL to get the Bambi. We drove it 1400 miles home without incident. After a day of washing, cleaning and personalizing we took it down the road to indoor storage. On the way in, the gate closed on the Bambi. It doesnt appear to have done any damage other than transfering some paint from the gate to the side of the Bambi. As an old car detailer, my first inclination is to take a solvent to it to remove it without scrubbing. Mineral Spirits, a petro based product, goof off.... etc. However after reading here about the "thin" clearcoat, I am a little hesitent. Anyone had a similiar situation? Advice for removing without scratching or breaking through the clearcoat?

Second question is regarding a ladder for the back of the Bambi. I have seen many other Airstreams with a nice chrome ladder on the back. I have googled, checked Camping World and others, and have yet to find one that I could install on the Bambi. Any thoughts, advice or links for this?

-Smitty
netman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
You might not need anything that dramatic. Push with your thumbnail, or if you nails are really short, try the edge of a credit card, hold it about 15 degree angle off the surface of the trailer. BE gentle. Just see if it'll come off easily. I might just try mineral oil rather than spirits, or even WD-40 to loosen the paint. I have used diluted rubbing alcohol to get crepe myrtle sap to loosen up, but it will dull the clearcoat if you leave it on too long. Paint thinner would probably be OK, but make sure you wash it off completely.

Good Luck. Paula
Old 05-31-2012, 10:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by netman1969 View Post
....>snip<.....

Second question is regarding a ladder for the back of the Bambi. I have seen many other Airstreams with a nice chrome ladder on the back. I have googled, checked Camping World and others, and have yet to find one that I could install on the Bambi. Any thoughts, advice or links for this?

-Smitty
First welcome to the forums and congrats on your Bambi! You are in for a bundle of fun!

Good advice above on getting the paint transfer off your Bambi...I'd avoid using anything harsh or abrasive if the credit card /finger nail trick doesn't work. You could try something like WD40which can be handy in removing marks but don't run too hard or you'll leave a mark. (Very small amount on a soft cloth...you might want to test in an conspicuous spot first.)

Regarding a ladder on the back of your Bambi, I have never seen an Airstream with a ladder on the back. Other RVs with flat roofs, yes, but never an Airstream.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:45 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

The only use we have for a ladder is to do roof maintenance, and install the 30w solar flex panels when needed, the AS does not lend itself for any other use. When on the roof it's important to stay on the rivet lines and off the end cap as they will not support much weight at all.

We keep a 10'.5 telescoping ladder from Camping World in the trailer.

WD40 on a microfiber cloth will clean a lot of stuff off the clearcoat, I'd try that option first.

Bob
Old 06-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Leesburg , Virginia
Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the advice. I haven't had the chance to work on the paint yet, but I will definately try the credit card and/or WD-40. Thanks also on the ladder. I was mainly thinking of getting up there for maintenance, but the more I have read, the less that seems necessary.
netman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Oh, you may need to get up top for maintenance, all right ... for seam sealing, AC unit repair and maintenance, antenna lubrication, etc. ... but you won't want to do it from a unit-mounted ladder. Scaffolding works fine, ladders with carefully created (e.g. carpeted, etc.) "anti-dent" bars are good if they sit against ribs, etc. There are lots of photos on the Forums of what works. Good luck with the paint removal.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2006 bambi