Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
One other point about the 22FB Sport: you can drop the dining table down level with the cushions and create a "lounge pit" that sort of looks like something out of an Austin Powers movie. The Colonial website has a photo on one of their inventory listings for this model.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:41 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
There is less than $10k difference between a new 20' and 23D (dinette/lounge in front) and the improved feeling of spaciousness, seating under the pano windows where it is much more pleasant, larger capacity, and tandem axles is remarkable.

We're biased because we traded our 20' for these things. I would recommend you consider this 23D model, it is the largest of the small Airstreams.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:58 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
1994 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Olympia , Washington
After considering all of these things and reading more forums, I'm now thinking I shouldn't have dismissed the 19 flying cloud. As soon as I entered and saw the bed back in the corner I turned and walked out, so I'm going to head to the dealer to have another look. I thought it would be nice to wake to the surrounding view, but considering the space won't be utilized for the view like it would with a dinette there...I'm thinking I could live with the smaller bed, more storage, etc. as compared to the 22. We will have to spend more time at the dealership now...
chevl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Chevl66,

I had a 19 before upgrading to the 20, so here are a few observations on the 19 vs the 20.

1. The bed is significantly smaller on the 19 compared to the 20 and much harder to make. I found it almost impossible to put fitted sheets on the far corner.

2. The toilet is set at an angle and my knees hit the door while sitting down, and I am not a tall person, 5' 8"

3. There is literally no counter space to prepare food on.

4. I did like having the bathroom sink outside the bathroom, allowed for two people to get ready at the same time.

5. My 19 did not have the panoramic window in the front so I did not get to experience that, but I am sure it would have been nice. My 20 has two large windows by the dinette which open quite a bit and makes it feel very open and inviting.

Hope that helps.

-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevl66 View Post
After considering all of these things and reading more forums, I'm now thinking I shouldn't have dismissed the 19 flying cloud. As soon as I entered and saw the bed back in the corner I turned and walked out, so I'm going to head to the dealer to have another look. I thought it would be nice to wake to the surrounding view, but considering the space won't be utilized for the view like it would with a dinette there...I'm thinking I could live with the smaller bed, more storage, etc. as compared to the 22. We will have to spend more time at the dealership now...
jpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
We had a 19 ft and bought our 20 for those same reasons
Old 03-12-2014, 08:07 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
Renton , Washington
We love our 19 flying cloud for the more spacious, less linear feel of the floor plan. Use it mostly for weekends and some longer vacations since we still both work full-time. Two adults, two dogs (70# &9#). Use dinette for food prep if we need extra space. Perfect for our needs!
orange kayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:14 PM   #27
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
We aren't owners yet, still investigating our options.
Howdy and welcome, Chevl66! Glad to see you joined us, and don't hesitate to post any news you may have, or questions on what you want to do.

As far as size goes, one frequently sees people on here selling a smaller TT and buying a larger one. I suppose I have seen folks do the opposite, but I can't remember the last one...
Old 03-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Smithville , Texas
Like you, we researched ourselves to death before choosing a new 23FB for reasons that have proven to be valid.
If you can't get around the bed to make it, you will soon dread trying to reach over to tuck sheets against the wall. 23 FB is a walk around (Actually squeeze around)
Our second selling point in buying this trailer is the counter space in the bathroom, and the nice shower.
Ours is a 2010. After pulling our home away from home way over 100,000 miles from Texas to Alaska, Texas to Newfoundland, and all sorts of places in between, we still love it.
Matt Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:53 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
We took a careful look at the 19 before buying our 22. The big problem with the 19? The bathroom next to your head as you're sleeping. I don't know ... just seemed a little too close. I mean, there are some things you don't really need to know about each other, even after 30+ blissful years, you know?
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:32 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
It's Decision Time!

After more trips to the dealer, and countless hours spent studying floorplans, storage containers or cabinets, daydreaming about how we'd really use it, etc. I ruled out the 22' almost as soon as I thought about storage - NOT that we take tons of stuff with us, just that with the bit of stuff you need - hoses, cords, tools, etc. that will eat up a bit of storage space and I really came to the conclusion the sports are like buying a "base" model car (no options). I don't want to buy one, to buy another one in a year.

I narrowed it down to the 19' or a 20'. When I first started looking, I liked that the bed was in the front. The more I thought about it though, it could be a wasted view - which is why I started considering the 19'. I decided I could live with the bed in the back corner, in exchange for the table in front of the windows in the front. But after really assessing the 19' and REALLY not liking no counter space, storage seems to be less, the bathroom door angled right in front of the toilet, and no need for an additional awning (which I think aesthetically is a must) we've decided to order a 20'.

I "shopped around" as much as I could - looking online, calling Colonial and getting their price for the 19' Int. and a 20' FC. After meeting with my dealer, with those prices, I'm coming out at $160 more than Colonial but added the awning package to my order - so I'm thinking, not too bad. They already had one on order with a build date of 4/24 so I will be able to make the changes that I want and keep the same date. Yay! I can't wait!
Old 03-22-2014, 04:46 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Chevl66,

Congrats! Seems you went with the same process of selection as I did.

I am sure you will enjoy it tremendously.

Take care,

-J

Quote:
After more trips to the dealer, and countless hours spent studying floorplans, storage containers or cabinets, daydreaming about how we'd really use it, etc. I ruled out the 22' almost as soon as I thought about storage - NOT that we take tons of stuff with us, just that with the bit of stuff you need - hoses, cords, tools, etc. that will eat up a bit of storage space and I really came to the conclusion the sports are like buying a "base" model car (no options). I don't want to buy one, to buy another one in a year.

I narrowed it down to the 19' or a 20'. When I first started looking, I liked that the bed was in the front. The more I thought about it though, it could be a wasted view - which is why I started considering the 19'. I decided I could live with the bed in the back corner, in exchange for the table in front of the windows in the front. But after really assessing the 19' and REALLY not liking no counter space, storage seems to be less, the bathroom door angled right in front of the toilet, and no need for an additional awning (which I think aesthetically is a must) we've decided to order a 20'.

I "shopped around" as much as I could - looking online, calling Colonial and getting their price for the 19' Int. and a 20' FC. After meeting with my dealer, with those prices, I'm coming out at $160 more than Colonial but added the awning package to my order - so I'm thinking, not too bad. They already had one on order with a build date of 4/24 so I will be able to make the changes that I want and keep the same date. Yay! I can't wait!
Old 03-22-2014, 07:57 AM   #32
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
The 16 at least has quite a bit more storage than I thought. I am pleasently surprised. The 20 is a fantastic set up, I wish we could have afforded one, but it would require a different tow vehicle for us which just pushed things too far. I think you will be happy with your choice though. The 16 works well for us as we are coming in from tent camping for the last 15 years.

I will make maybe an unpopular observation here, just think about it. You complain about "wasting a view" with the wrap around up front with the bed, which is partially correct. We have a dinette there so we are not "wasting" the view of the butt end of our tow vehicle or everyone staring in from the street. The "view" to the front of the campsite is a much over-rated thing! I wish our 16' was built backwards with the view to the rear. It would fix the "suicide door" as well. Then you could back it in and look in the woods, or across the valley, or over the lake.....All those pictures of marvelous vistas in the brochures are pretty much impossible to obtain unless you are a stunt person or also tow a front-end loader with a ball on a stinger...
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:51 PM   #33
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
That, my friend, is *exactly* why we chose our 27FB.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:35 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
And that, my friend is not a universal opinion. We specifically wanted only an Airstream with the living space in the front.

There is no one looking into the front because you cannot see in through the window rock guards. We don't always camp backed up to marvelous views. Sometimes it's brush.

Sometimes it's another camper. We use RV resorts often for extended stays; we wouldn't want our living space in the rear there. In remote camping, it is truck in front, bicycles on the back bumper. Unless we unhook both, which we usually do.

The front living space doesn't always have the best view, but it never has a bad one.

The so-called suicide door is a nothing issue, use a rubber door stop under the grab handle for safety, if you need to. And the door is up front where it is usually more convenient.

I do like the pano windows front and rear, speaking of views.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:38 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
The 20' focus is the kitchen and storage IMO, the 22' emphasis is the bathroom- to me but I submit final opinion to the owners of the models.

LOL, the windows again. So far I have mostly been in camping spots where the view was woods in the rear and noise in the front. I don't find the windows to be that important. I like the door the best! If I were buying a brand new Airstream, I would go for the 28' with a single pano in the front.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Oh yeah, windows, kitchens. We all like what we have until we get something else, then we like that.

Most of us do agree we like our Airstreams, so that's a safe statement. Oops, corrosion, floor rot, quality control . . . hitches, trucks . . .

Old 03-22-2014, 09:06 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Stop DK you're killing me!
Old 03-25-2014, 10:37 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
It's Official! We ordered today.

2014 20 FC, build date is 4/17-4/22 or something close to that. I chose the Mica interior, as I already have plans to customize the colors into something else. Awning package, convection microwave, 1000w converter. Dealer included a hitch and brake control. Our dealer also has a new "package" that includes full inspection, filled tanks, install of hitch/brake controller, exterior polish, orientation, and overnight stay w/ full hookups if you desire. The starter kit they provide has a fresh water hose, waste water hose, toilet paper, black tank chemicals, 30 - 15 amp adapter, disposable gloves, and a small bucket.

BTW, they were recently informed of a 4% cost increase for 2015 models (that's dealer cost I believe).

They are a Zamp Solar authorized dealer...I'm thinking of some portable panels, but not sure what size to get - how do you figure out what it would take to replenish 50% of your batteries? Or what is reasonable to expect from solar?

Thanks for all the suggestions & opinions, it really did help to make our decision more thoughtful of a process!
Old 03-26-2014, 05:35 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Chevl66,

Congratulations. I am sure you will thoroughly enjoy it.

-J
Old 03-26-2014, 08:49 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Congrats chevl66, you will make it yours and like it for sure! I do not have solar; however, I have been informed that you want a panel that is regulated at 13.8volts. A solar panel of 50 watts regulated at 13.8volts (higher than 12V to charge) is 3.62 amps. If your battery has an amp hour rating of 93 A/H then to be fully charged with the 50 watt panel, it would take around 28 hours of full sun to fully charge the battery from approximate zero charge state. I hope this adds some perspective to the solar. The time factor drops as higher wattage panels (more amps) are used. What I found in digging is that typical batteries are safe up to 20amps (275watts@13.8V) at a regulated 13.8V. The same scenario would be 12.8 hours with 100 watts of solar and a zero state. The assumption here is that 50% charge would be half of these times to the same single battery.