Old 03-11-2014, 07:14 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
I own the 20 Safari SE and we love it! The layout is great, specially the space in the kitchen makes it very convenient for cooking and preparing foods. While the bed is a little small and one of you have to crawl over the other it is cozy and makes it "fun". Yes the bathroom in the 20 is a little small, but it is the least used room. To me the 22 wastes too much space in the bathroom area.

I do like the seating on the 22 better, but we don't use the dinette all that much as we typically hang out outside, isn't that what camping is all about?

My biggest issue would be the level of "trim" of the sport, the Flying Cloud is well appointed with little details that make a big difference. Starting with the aluminum gas tank cover, rock guards, stove top, sink, lights, and much more.

If you want to save some money, you can also take a look at used Airstreams, yes you have to be patient until the right one shows up. But this is how I have bought both of mine.

My 20 I purchased used from Colonial Airstream, and I could not have been happier. You can call Patrick at Colonial and let him know what you are interested in and he can let you know as soon as they have a used one coming in that matches what you are looking for.

From my experience the 20 models are very popular and go very quickly. They currently have one that is pending and looks like a great deal. You can save $20,000 or more easily by buying used. The one we bought was in better than new condition as the previous owner had done a bunch of very nice upgrades.

Best of luck.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
2007 Base Camp
Santa Ynez , California
When we were first looking the best advice we got -- and we got it from the Forums -- was to go to a dealer and spend a good amount of time in each one visualizing how you would use it. Lie in the bed, and sit in the bathroom. Get a feel for what would work best for you.

The smaller (i.e. 48" and 54") beds are a serious consideration. The second best advice we got -- also from the Forums -- was to install padded "bumpers" around the bed to insulate you from the cold walls. It significantly adds to the useful size of the bed. We made ours and covered them with the same flannel fabric we used for the comforter so the bed is cozy and looks a bit like a nest!

Old 03-11-2014, 10:08 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We love our 22' Sport. Have had it since 2007. Lots of room and a larger bath. Perfect match for our TV.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Spokane , Washington
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the feedback. We have thought about going "used" but around here, they really aren't much of a savings. The dealer here is great and will price-match anywhere else. I've always been a "I don't buy new" anything type of person, so this may be my first time!

I have spent some time in both the 20 and 22fb models. That's why the 20 bed concerns me. I understand the "camping" concept, but it never fails to rain when we camp, so having a cozy place to be would be great (rather than hiding out in the car until it stops, then trying to air-dry everything)!

Really leaning towards the 22. Will let you all know! Thanks again!
Old 03-11-2014, 12:59 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Centrally Located , Wish you were here!
Question Dream

I'd recommend camping out in each of your dealer's trailers.

Play house - pretend to cook for yourself and/or friends. Pretend to sit and read. Pretend to wake up in your own way and move around with your toothbrush, etc. Type on your computer. Feed your dog. Spend time sitting still with your eyes closed. Feel the sunshine streaming through your windows.

Dream about your days - will you be outside all day? What about rainy days?
Afternoon naps? Evenings relaxing after a long day of adventure, or hiking, or driving?
How do you sleep? How do you live? What is your vision for using the Airstream?

Everyone uses their trailers differently.

Basically it is the same I advise to anyone looking for their trailer.
Just like anyone restoring a trailer, live in the trailer before you do any changes.

http://byams55flyingcloud.blogspot.com/
Byams55FlyCl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:31 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
chevl66,

There are plenty of people from the west coast that have made the trip to Colonial in NJ to pick up their camper. To me, it would be worth the trip to save $20,000 by buying a gently used unit. Besides I would simply make it into an adventure!

If you are diligent and patient you can find some great deals. Buying from a highly reputable dealer like Colonial makes it that much easier.

I have no connection to the fine folks there, just a satisfied customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevl66 View Post
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the feedback. We have thought about going "used" but around here, they really aren't much of a savings. The dealer here is great and will price-match anywhere else. I've always been a "I don't buy new" anything type of person, so this may be my first time!
Old 03-11-2014, 05:39 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
San Antonio , Texas
One other point about the 22FB Sport: you can drop the dining table down level with the cushions and create a "lounge pit" that sort of looks like something out of an Austin Powers movie. The Colonial website has a photo on one of their inventory listings for this model.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:41 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
There is less than $10k difference between a new 20' and 23D (dinette/lounge in front) and the improved feeling of spaciousness, seating under the pano windows where it is much more pleasant, larger capacity, and tandem axles is remarkable.

We're biased because we traded our 20' for these things. I would recommend you consider this 23D model, it is the largest of the small Airstreams.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:58 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Spokane , Washington
After considering all of these things and reading more forums, I'm now thinking I shouldn't have dismissed the 19 flying cloud. As soon as I entered and saw the bed back in the corner I turned and walked out, so I'm going to head to the dealer to have another look. I thought it would be nice to wake to the surrounding view, but considering the space won't be utilized for the view like it would with a dinette there...I'm thinking I could live with the smaller bed, more storage, etc. as compared to the 22. We will have to spend more time at the dealership now...
Old 03-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Chevl66,

I had a 19 before upgrading to the 20, so here are a few observations on the 19 vs the 20.

1. The bed is significantly smaller on the 19 compared to the 20 and much harder to make. I found it almost impossible to put fitted sheets on the far corner.

2. The toilet is set at an angle and my knees hit the door while sitting down, and I am not a tall person, 5' 8"

3. There is literally no counter space to prepare food on.

4. I did like having the bathroom sink outside the bathroom, allowed for two people to get ready at the same time.

5. My 19 did not have the panoramic window in the front so I did not get to experience that, but I am sure it would have been nice. My 20 has two large windows by the dinette which open quite a bit and makes it feel very open and inviting.

Hope that helps.

-J

Quote:
After considering all of these things and reading more forums, I'm now thinking I shouldn't have dismissed the 19 flying cloud. As soon as I entered and saw the bed back in the corner I turned and walked out, so I'm going to head to the dealer to have another look. I thought it would be nice to wake to the surrounding view, but considering the space won't be utilized for the view like it would with a dinette there...I'm thinking I could live with the smaller bed, more storage, etc. as compared to the 22. We will have to spend more time at the dealership now...
Old 03-12-2014, 08:06 PM   #25
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
We had a 19 ft and bought our 20 for those same reasons
Old 03-12-2014, 09:07 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
Renton , Washington
We love our 19 flying cloud for the more spacious, less linear feel of the floor plan. Use it mostly for weekends and some longer vacations since we still both work full-time. Two adults, two dogs (70# &9#). Use dinette for food prep if we need extra space. Perfect for our needs!
Old 03-12-2014, 09:14 PM   #27
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
We aren't owners yet, still investigating our options.
Howdy and welcome, Chevl66! Glad to see you joined us, and don't hesitate to post any news you may have, or questions on what you want to do.

As far as size goes, one frequently sees people on here selling a smaller TT and buying a larger one. I suppose I have seen folks do the opposite, but I can't remember the last one...
Old 03-12-2014, 10:58 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Taft , Texas
Like you, we researched ourselves to death before choosing a new 23FB for reasons that have proven to be valid.
If you can't get around the bed to make it, you will soon dread trying to reach over to tuck sheets against the wall. 23 FB is a walk around (Actually squeeze around)
Our second selling point in buying this trailer is the counter space in the bathroom, and the nice shower.
Ours is a 2010. After pulling our home away from home way over 100,000 miles from Texas to Alaska, Texas to Newfoundland, and all sorts of places in between, we still love it.

2016 F-350 6.7 Diesel (Overkill and loving it)
Matt Kline is offline   Reply With Quote