Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2016, 07:18 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Oak Park , Michigan
New to Airstream

Hell all,

My wife and I just ordered a 2017 Bambi 22FB here in Michigan. This will be our first Airstream and 2nd rv, so we're both on the green side of the lifestyle in general. We opted for the 22 just to have a bit more room and to possibly be able to bring our 99LB Greyhound along with us.
My questions..or question:
What are some things I need to be aware of, for instance...battery that comes from the factory, will I need to replace right away, solar, dual battery setup..just some basic things. We'll be doing 3 to 4 day trips, most likely with at least electric hookups. Are there any tricks or tips, winterizing etc...

Thanks in advance and sorry for the noob questions...this is a big purchase for us and I just want to do the right things.

Mike
Deviate2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
If you are ordering from the factory, the battery that comes with the trailer will not sit on the lot for enough time to run it down and cause damage. So you don't need to replace it unless you want to go a different direction, i.e., 6 volts, lithium, etc. For me, the most important upgrades were to swap out the single stage converter charger for a multi stage, and Centramatics, and a Viair 12 volt compressor so I can know that my Good Year marathons are properly inflated every time.
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Welcome and congratulations! You will love it!

I recommend you start with the minimum basics, then go camping and learn what you need and don't. Experience is the best teacher and you'll spend your money more wisely.

Have fun and be SAFE!
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:58 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
The 22FB has an adequate 3 stage converter, so no worries there. If you are going to have electric hookups most times, you're all set.

I replaced the stock 12 volt battery on mine with two 6 volt Lifelines, mounted under the bed. That lets us easily go 3 or 4 days without hookups. I haven't yet but I plan on adding a storage box on the tongue where the stock battery was.

If you don't have heated storage you will need to winterize. Your dealer can do it, or you can learn. It's not difficult.

Congratulations on choosing (in my biased opinion) the best Airstream model of them all!
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Hi, welcome from central Kentucky and congrats on the new AS

I agree with MPSGOLF, go camping and see what you need. Take a short 1 or 2 day shakedown cruise, then go back to the dealership for any fixing before a long trip. With a new AS I would think you're going to find there are more creature comfort things you'll need than mechanical things.

If your AS doesn't have them, get some wheel chocks, approved water hoses (white, usually) rubber gloves, stinky slinky. Super Walmarts have some of the basic stuff. Get a block of pressure treated wood for the tongue stand. That should get you through the shake down trip. When you come back you can start looking at the various web sites for other things.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Welcome Mike. You are in for many good times with your new trailer. When it comes to the Airstream I think you will develop two lists. One is a "needsa" list and the other will be a longer "wantsa" list.

Right now you really don't need anything other than the basics that Rich pointed out. I will put in a plug for those plastic Lynx Levelers or something similar. They are light and easy to store. I do carry extra wood blocks in the back of the truck when I need more help. Prefer the plastic ones.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Do nothing as pointed out prior. Take the basics, don't change batteries, converter etc. We have had no problems with our three Airstream factory batteries or converter - ever. The ONLY thing I might recommend is ordering 16" Michelin Tires and wheels from the factory. You can do it later, but we have ordered from the factory as that makes them an AS supplied item on the trailer just in the event something goes wrong.

I'd also think about a TST tire monitoring system. Not expensive and gives constant air pressure and temp readings on your tires. Very easy to set up and gives you the info on the tires you can't get otherwise. I ran this system for about 8,500 miles this summer and liked having the knowledge of what our tires were doing.

Most important - relax and enjoy.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Batteries

As far as batteries go, they are nasty little critters. As long as you are plugged in, you will never know how long they will last. I boondock about 40% of the time and needed to monitor charge levels. I purchased an inexpensive digital voltage meter that plugs into one of the 12 volt outlets.

You don't need one of these now but they are nice to have.

I purchased my 2006 from the original owner in 2009. It had a single stage charger and he left it plugged in for all of 3 years! When we inspected the trailer it was plugged in and of course everything worked. We unplugged it and it all looked good. Later we would find that the charged battery would only last a few hours. The batteries were toasted. We learned this when camping in the cold close to home. It was one of those hard knocks lessons.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:04 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
San Diego and Julian , California
Hi Mike,
Congratulations, you are in for an adventure. We purchased our 2017 in July and all ready have 2,700 miles under the tires. Everything the good folks said before cannot be improved, especially the "do nothing until you get a couple short trips under your belt." You do not know how you will live in the coach until you actually do. The coach comes with nearly everything you need. So, get out there in your new AS, have a load of fun, and then keep and running list of what you want your dealer to improve when you go in for a first service.
While you are waiting, get a copy of Newbies Guide to Airstreaming by Rich Luhr. You can order it from Amazon. I read it while waiting for my AS and felt ready to go by the time our baby was delivered. It has a good chapter on winterizing to suffice your query, batteries, and lists of supplies to have on board.
You may also discover that your Airstream dealer will give you a "starter" package. Inside the package are many of the practical items mentioned earlier. Ours included a stinky slinky, gloves, black tank deodorizer pods, electrical adapter, and more than I can remember to list. With the starter kit in hand, we were plugged in and ready to play. Except, we did buy chocks and a tire pressure gauge, and pump.
Read up, take a trip, and let us know how it goes!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 09-26-2016, 02:15 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

san jose , California
Only thing I can add is if you like bbq/smoked meats, the Green Mountain Davy Crockett is a must have portable wood pellet smoker. You can't make bad bbq with this thing if you use good wood pellets. So many features to list and built like a tank (it is fairly compact, but heavy due to it's well made construction). Instead of obsessing over the trailer too much, I found cooking/bbq/drinking/relaxing was the main reason for getting an AS and will help you stressout less about trailer maintenance/etc.

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment...-davy-crockett

Make sure your WD/Sway control is setup well and everything else will be butter. Safe travels.
vis0rd0wn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:32 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
I have the anderson levelers and love them. Just set them and back onto them. I just use the front mounted "U" bubble that the previous owner put on there. Set the levelers on the side where the bubble is high if using the U level.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:30 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Oak Park , Michigan
Thanks Everyone for the comments. The 22FB that we were looking at got sold out from under us but we found another dealer and have one ordered should be here by December. Unfortunately that probably won't let us do any camping up here in the cold of Michigan until early spring.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:39 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Florida , Florida
Your Airstream will come with a great book The Newbies Guide to Airstreaming. It's a fantastic resource.
sm171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:57 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Resist the temptation to go out and buy everything that appear good in catalogs and what others do. Remember, you'll have to load/unload and maintain/dispose of that stuff and it'll steal your space and time.

Go for a few trips and THEN decide what you really want.

I was surprised how much of my "stuff" I don't use. I also was surprised to find my marine BBQ worked perfectly for an RV BBQ as well. (Magma Marine grill)

I've yet to use the patio mat I bought a year ago. Wasted money. YMMV\
(The stair-step "scrubby" pads (treads) for the stairs have sure kept the interior cleaner, however.)

Zero-gravity chairs were a good one, tho'.

Hope this helps.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Oak Park , Michigan
Well we received a little update on our build. It looks like 2nd or 3rd week of December for delivery...Merry Christmas!! So I have a little time, next question.. I have a fairly large (for the city) fenced in yard (Good) but it's all grass (Bad for AS) I'm sure you can guess the question....What does everyone recommend to put under the tires/4 corner jacks? I have access to all the big box depots/Lowes. I was thinking 2'x2' pavers of some sort under the jacks, maybe a couple pieces of pressure treated something under the wheels...or just stay with pavers of some sort?

Thanks
Mike
Old 09-29-2016, 10:39 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Pavers are good. Wood, even pressure-treated wood, eventually rots and attracts insects.
Get a high-quality, baked/kiln-fired paver and provide firm support on soft ground if you want them to survive.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:14 AM   #17
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Composite Lumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviate2112 View Post
...What does everyone recommend to put under the tires/4 corner jacks? I have access to all the big box depots/Lowes.
I use a short piece of composite lumber (1" x 6") under the tongue jack. A short piece under the tires and stabilization jacks would weigh less than pavers and be easy to place and/or move. The composite lumber won't absorb water or rot.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:26 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Less is more. There's a thread on this forum entitled "What did you get for your Airstream today?" Ignore it or risk a trailer full of stuff and no space for you.

More seriously, it's easier to have too much stuff than too little. Your Airstream and dealer will provide enough standard equipment to start camping. Go and see what your particular camping style needs. Forums tend to overkill almost everything.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
You are picking up your trailer in Dec in Michigan? Make the dealer winterized it for you until you can use it. And if it were me, I'd pull the battery, and bring into a semi warm garage and put it on a battery tender.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:41 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Deviate,
Congrats on your AS and welcome to our community! We took delivery of our 2017 Serenity 28 International in Aug. We spent a lot of time reading and preparing. I did purchase many items, mostly small and inexpensive but things I thought would be useful (hoses, brass hose connectors, black tank dump accessories, etc). Things like generators and portable solar panels etc can wait until you figure out if you need them. I did buy an EezTire TPMS, I figured it would mitigate some stress running down the road. Our delivery was nearly flawless. We were ready for the PDI and took over 4 hours to ensure we fully understood the trailer and confidence in what we were purchasing - we totally did. We've been on a 4 day maiden voyage and the trailer was awesome. On our trip we experienced challenging gravel roads and some pretty dogs#%t rainy weather. Not a leak, not a single whimper or hesitation on our AS's part just a very positive validation of our AS purchase decision. These machines are in a class of their own. Nothing comes close. Enjoy and welcome again!
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote