Old 09-28-2016, 02:36 PM   #15

2017 22' Sport
Oak Park , Michigan
Well we received a little update on our build. It looks like 2nd or 3rd week of December for delivery...Merry Christmas!! So I have a little time, next question.. I have a fairly large (for the city) fenced in yard (Good) but it's all grass (Bad for AS) I'm sure you can guess the question....What does everyone recommend to put under the tires/4 corner jacks? I have access to all the big box depots/Lowes. I was thinking 2'x2' pavers of some sort under the jacks, maybe a couple pieces of pressure treated something under the wheels...or just stay with pavers of some sort?

Thanks
Mike

Old 09-29-2016, 11:39 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Pavers are good. Wood, even pressure-treated wood, eventually rots and attracts insects.
Get a high-quality, baked/kiln-fired paver and provide firm support on soft ground if you want them to survive.

Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:14 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Toronto , Ontario
Composite Lumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviate2112 View Post
...What does everyone recommend to put under the tires/4 corner jacks? I have access to all the big box depots/Lowes.
I use a short piece of composite lumber (1" x 6") under the tongue jack. A short piece under the tires and stabilization jacks would weigh less than pavers and be easy to place and/or move. The composite lumber won't absorb water or rot.

WBCCI #6497
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Less is more. There's a thread on this forum entitled "What did you get for your Airstream today?" Ignore it or risk a trailer full of stuff and no space for you.

More seriously, it's easier to have too much stuff than too little. Your Airstream and dealer will provide enough standard equipment to start camping. Go and see what your particular camping style needs. Forums tend to overkill almost everything.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:13 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
You are picking up your trailer in Dec in Michigan? Make the dealer winterized it for you until you can use it. And if it were me, I'd pull the battery, and bring into a semi warm garage and put it on a battery tender.

Mike
Old 10-08-2016, 11:41 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Deviate,
Congrats on your AS and welcome to our community! We took delivery of our 2017 Serenity 28 International in Aug. We spent a lot of time reading and preparing. I did purchase many items, mostly small and inexpensive but things I thought would be useful (hoses, brass hose connectors, black tank dump accessories, etc). Things like generators and portable solar panels etc can wait until you figure out if you need them. I did buy an EezTire TPMS, I figured it would mitigate some stress running down the road. Our delivery was nearly flawless. We were ready for the PDI and took over 4 hours to ensure we fully understood the trailer and confidence in what we were purchasing - we totally did. We've been on a 4 day maiden voyage and the trailer was awesome. On our trip we experienced challenging gravel roads and some pretty dogs#%t rainy weather. Not a leak, not a single whimper or hesitation on our AS's part just a very positive validation of our AS purchase decision. These machines are in a class of their own. Nothing comes close. Enjoy and welcome again!
Old 10-09-2016, 11:29 AM   #21
2016 19ft flying cloud

Spokane , Washington
We got our 19ft 2016 Silver cloud in Aug
After the first trip out I ordered a portable solar panel from echo Worthy, it seems to do a good job at keeping the batteries topped off while we were out for 5 days.

If I were ordering a new unit from the factory, I'd see if there was a upgrade on the flooring material used,,,ours has a soft floor, that needs to be covered at all times,any little rock you might bring in on your shoe will make an indentation in the material,,,,

A few things you will need, a lock for the hitch,rugs for floor,extended mirrors for towing,back up camera is nice, sissor Jack if your vehicle doesn't have one
Old 10-09-2016, 05:37 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
We will also be getting our first, a 2017 FC 23D bunk, this December or january. Forums are useful and appreciate how helpful people are.

Would it be wise to get a generator, especially if we plan to camp where there is no power hookup? I plan to buy the Honda Eu2000.

Any reason I shouldn't buy it?
Thanks!
Old 10-09-2016, 10:51 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
San Diego , California
Dear Troutboy,

No, there was is no reason not to purchase a generator. Lots of folks use them, especially if they are a little power hungry and like the convenience of sure-fire juice.

There is another camp of folks that go the more green approach by getting a solar panel. The advantage of the solar is that they are not loud and do not need fuel. Also, check out your new 2017. It will come equipped with a Zamp solar power plug on the A-frame. This eliminates the hassle of unbuckling your battery box and placing clamps onto the battery electrodes. An 80 watt portable unit serve you well.

There are many posts about solar panels and generators on the Forum. Read through them before you spend big money on the Honda.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 10-12-2016, 08:10 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Trout boy, we took delivery on a 2017 Serenity 28' in Aug. we had it built with two AC units and the Zamp Solar Panels. The panels are great at keeping the batteries topped off. Not knowing how we would use the trailer I purchased two EU2000is from Genconnex. They were converted to propane. Our first use of them was for three days of no power during and after Hurricane Matthew. The Hondas are pricey but in my experience (we have an EU6500is for the house) are extremely reliable, quiet and efficient.