Old 01-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2009 16' DWR
Venice , Florida
New member with a question

Hi everyone, I am really excited about obtaining a Bambi 16' trailer. I am looking at a couple of them, one is a 2006 Quicksilver and the other is a 2008 DWR.

While researching on the internet I came across some disturbing complaints about leaks, both internal, and external that are causing the floors in these units to become wet. From what I can gather, the subfloor is particle board, which is like a sponge when it comes to water and very quickly begins to disintegrate. I can see where this can be a very expensive proposition to remove all interior, pull up the floor and replace with something like marine plywood. Apparently, one of the leak tests involves pressurizing the unit and pouring soapy water all over the outer surface to see where bubbles are coming out. This sounds like a lot of work and may be expensive as well.

It was my understanding that Airstreams outlasted most other trailers and were built with the utmost quality and care, hence the initial cost. I have been looking at Airstreams since I was a kid. To me, they represent an American Icon, just like the Jeep or a Harley motorcycle.

Now I am wondering if my dream of owning one of these American Icons is better left unfulfilled. Has anyone here experienced these problems and would you be willing to share your experiences?

Thanks form a wannabe Airstream owner.

hellsbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

"Now I am wondering if my dream of owning one of these American Icons is better left unfulfilled."

Fulfill your dream!
We bought a new Bambi in 2005, have been tens of thousands of miles all over this great country on all kinds of roads and, while there were a few quality control problems in the beginning, it hasn't leaked a drop. Although I realize that could change any day, it continues to be one of the best investments we've ever made. Not just the Airstream, but the travels and the friends we've made, both on the road, and on this forum, are priceless.

Welcome to the forum.

2005 Bambi
1968 Trade Wind
2007 Ford F250 4x4 Crew
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #3

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
They all leak, at least eventually. Even if they were each perfect before leaving the factory, use and abuse towing them in the real world will require maintenance to prevent and/or stop leaks. The real benefit of the Airstream is that it's durable, maintainable and eventually rebuildable, and it's worth maintaining both because of its potential resale value and because well-maintained Airstreams will hold up to decades of use. TANSTAAFL.

Some models in some years have OSB subfloors. Oriented Strand Board is *NOT* particle board, though it's not that much better if it gets wet. For any Airstream purchase, a thorough inspection is very important so you can avoid the bad ones, have any small issues fixed prior to/as part of the purchase, and know more or less exactly what you're getting yourself into.
ó David

Il Carriaggio ó 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto ó 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ó Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
2009 16' DWR
Venice , Florida
Thanks for the comments. I just made the deal on the Quicksilver. I am looking forward to my Airstream adventures. I will be pulling it with my Toyota FJ Cruiser.
hellsbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
GOOD for YOU!!!! you're gonna love it. Dreams do come true. Here's to many safe and happy travels. John
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote

2008 bambi