Old 10-23-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Decatur , Alabama
Smile New Bambi 19' owner

I just purchased a 2006 Bambi that had been used three times. I made this buy without researching this site and after reading a while wonder if I made a mistake. I had a Casita 17 Freedom deluxe and liked it very much. I thought I would be upgrading to a camper that would last me the remainder of my life structurally. After reading many complaints about support and issues I am thinking I might not keep this unit.

One question I have is about towing. The Casita required nothing extra to tow, no equalizer or anti sway bar. I tow with a 2007 Honda Ridgeline. What would you suggest as far as prepping the Ridgeline for towing the Bambi? It is rated at 5000# towing capacity.

Thanks guys...

Stephen

Old 10-23-2008, 04:14 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari SE
Ottawa , Ontario
I don't think you'll regret buying an AS. As you've probably already read this site is full of proud AS owners.

As far as towing goes there is a ton of info here and I learned a lot from it. Go to the forums tab and down to the Towing heading. There's info on Tow vehicles as well as hitches. As you'll see the Ridgeline (on paper) may seem not to have enough towing capacity but there are a number of people here that have it as a TV.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:12 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Decatur , Alabama
Being new

I have just found this site and really bought the Bambi based on the great look and layout. I am looking forward to studying and learning from the old salts here.
Thank you!
Old 10-23-2008, 07:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Nightwind15,
Welcome to the Forum and Airstreaming. Get out there and enjoy your Airstream, I do not think you will regret it. I think the 19' Bambis are great. For a small trailer I think the floor plan is really functional. My only concern would be for the poor person that has to sleep against the wall. Getting up un the middle of the night when nature calls must be a "bear". I think the 16' trailers are a little tight, but then again that's just my opinion. There are plenty of folks here that love their 16'ers.

Can I ask why you moved from the Casita to Airstream?
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:47 PM   #5
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Stephen, I replied in your Ridgeline thread. The Casita Liberty Deluxe 17' is one of the heaviest 17' fiberglass trailers at nearly 4,000 lbs loaded, and nearly a 400 lb tongue weight. The Bambi 19' is similar. Both require weight distribution and sway control hitches, even though you were fortunate in that you towed your Casita without it. I would't recommend bare-ball towing for any trailer with that kind of weight. I've had a number of Airstreams and fiberglass trailers over the years, and used weight distribution and sway control on almost all of them. It is remarkable how much they improve the handling of the rig, even though you may not think you "need" them.

Roger
Old 10-24-2008, 11:05 AM   #6
Dan

2013 25' FB International
Altadena , California
I also have a 19' AS and until I bought a Ford F350, I towed it with my MB ML55 with no problem....as long as I didn't try to go up really steep hills...which is why I got the F350....the ML55 has a tow rating of 5000lbs like the Ridgeline but the rear end ratio is all wrong for towing and I found that out the hard way when I nearly killed the poor thing driving up to Lone Pine campground above the 395 Hwy....what's ironic is that when I bought the 19' the sales guy predicted that I would end up buying a larger tow vehicle and he was right. I would say this.....as long as you aren't going high....you will be fine....but if you like to go high and breathe in the Alpine air....you may end up buying a larger truck like I did...and if you do...buy a diesel truck....now that I own one I cannot believe I was able to live without one for so long....
Old 10-24-2008, 04:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
A happy 2006 19' Bambi Safari SE lover here. They are great little trailers and I bet you won't regret the buy. We never have. Loaded they are about 4500 lbs so you are right at the limit with your current tow vehicle, particularly if you hold to the "80% rule." A good weight distribution/anti-sway hitch will help in the towing arena. We tow with an 07 Toyota Tacoma double cab V6 with a factory tow package rated 6500 lbs, and use an Equal-I-Zer hitch. Anything larger and I think we'd want more truck.

Have fun with your new toy and happy trails!
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:56 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Charlottesville , Virginia
Hi Stephen... My wife and I bought a Bambi 19 ('08) this past May. I live in it for my work around 10 days a month. I have been busy making small modifications here and there to customize this machine. We tow with a 6 cyl. Toyota Tacoma... so far so good. First thing I did was to build a small counter extension to the right side of the sink. It is made of oak and walnut (to blend with the AS decor) and includes a removable cutting board. The unit slides in place on dovetail ways, then stores in the closet when not needed. Second modificaton was installing 25 gallons of water storage in the back of the truck for all those times we dry camp, or go to campgrounds with only a communal water supply. I put in place a water pump, so I can drive to a water supply, fill the truck tanks, drive back to the set-up trailer and off load the water into the AS tank. Very handy. Currently at work on putting together a battery system... six 6 volt deep cycle batteries (2 on the AS, 4 in the truck bed). Connected in series/parallel the two battery banks provide close to 700 amphours...enough to run the show for 5 days in cold weather. I've never had so much fun.
Cheers
Jim
Old 10-24-2008, 06:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
A 19' trailer?? No way- that's way too small for me. You'd never see me in anything that small. 19', man that's one small trailer.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
A 19' trailer?? No way- that's way too small for me. You'd never see me in anything that small. 19', man that's one small trailer.
Uhhh...yeah...it's a WHOLE lot smaller than a 20'!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper
Hi Stephen... My wife and I bought a Bambi 19 ('08) this past May. I live in it for my work around 10 days a month. I have been busy making small modifications here and there to customize this machine. We tow with a 6 cyl. Toyota Tacoma... so far so good. First thing I did was to build a small counter extension to the right side of the sink. It is made of oak and walnut (to blend with the AS decor) and includes a removable cutting board. The unit slides in place on dovetail ways, then stores in the closet when not needed. Second modificaton was installing 25 gallons of water storage in the back of the truck for all those times we dry camp, or go to campgrounds with only a communal water supply. I put in place a water pump, so I can drive to a water supply, fill the truck tanks, drive back to the set-up trailer and off load the water into the AS tank. Very handy. Currently at work on putting together a battery system... six 6 volt deep cycle batteries (2 on the AS, 4 in the truck bed). Connected in series/parallel the two battery banks provide close to 700 amphours...enough to run the show for 5 days in cold weather. I've never had so much fun.
Cheers
Jim
Harper, can you post a pic of your counter extension? I am thinking of doing the same thing using a pair of small door type hinges so I can slide the extension On and off as needed. I am not sure how you fabricated the dove tail you mentioned.
Thanks!
Old 10-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
Smile Weight distribution and Bambi

I have a 19' Bambi and would recommend weight distribution. Recently, I had a tire (GYM) blowout and the WD kept everything straight and manageable. I have a Reese hitch and tilt it forward according to the instructions.

Come to Alumapalooza in May/June and learn neat stuff and visit the factory.

Welcome.
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
hamiltonmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Hook it up, tow it around like you did the Casita, and see how it feels. If it doesn't feel any different, you're set. If it does not feel right, then make an adjustment - add a w/d hitch, more air in the TV tires. If you still don't like it - sell it. Plenty of people looking for used 19'ers.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Austin , Texas
I have been living full time in my 19' Bambi for the past three years, I have put approx 40k miles on it pulling with a Jeep Commander 4.7l 7300 lb tow capacity. The only problems I have with it are a couple of popped rivets, (easy to replace) burned out light bulbs that are being replaced with led, and a blown tire this past summer traveling across New Mexico (GYM). Now the Commander just had a new rear end replaced under warranty at 94k miles (thank goodness for a lifetime power train warranty) I purchased this size trailer because it was the largest trailer I would be able to park on the family Lake Lot where I am living. The Commander pulls the Bambi without a problem (except noted above, this year model jeep has had a lot of pinion gears go out even on vehicles that have never towed a trailer) from Deep South Texas to Utah ( about 5 trips). We have been thru Durango Silverton, and Uray with the rig. It has been out to the Big Bend region more times than I can count. Try pulling a 25' up to the Chios campground. Even after all the trips the Bambi still feels and looks like new. I do not ever plan on selling her. Oh and by the way, when you go camping a lot of people will come over and ask about your Bambi, the most curious are the owners of Casita's.

Tags
2006 bambi