Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2016, 10:39 PM   #1

Kent , Washington
Question Need Plans for Hitch Receiver for Bike Rack

We have a 2014 16' sport and would like to install a hitch receiver in back for a bike rack. Our Airstream dealer recommended a local hitch installer. They want an arm and a leg and over $600. I've started talking to a very reliable metal fabricator who is interested but has never done this particular job. He would like to see plans. Can anyone help? Any alternative ideas? Thanks!
JoenJan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:44 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
RareStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Re: Need Plans for Hitch Receiver for Bike Rack

The links below are to related threads currently in discussion on this topic. Strongly suggest you read these in their entirety before deciding whether to pursue this subject further.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Ugh. The words AD NAUSEAM come to mind!

Good one, RareStream!
Old 06-30-2016, 05:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Search function.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Not recommended by many here. However there are numerous examples of succesful installs. Keep searching the net for ideas.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:14 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
I agree, it's do-able. But, a few things HAVE to be accomplished:

1) Get the lightest bike rack you can find; the least bulky, and one that holds the bikes CLOSEST to the receiver but one that holds the bikes securely with the LEAST amount of movement.

2) Make SURE, again, that the bike rack is slid into the receiver as CLOSE as it can be to the trailer; then, drill a new hole in the bike rack for the hitch pin.

3) Make absolutely sure that you secure the TOP of the bikes and/or rack to the mid-line of the trailer so that the bikes and rack can not move AT ALL.

4) Again, secure the bike rack and bikes so they can not move WHATSOEVER.

5) No more than TWO bikes on the rack.

6) Make sure the bikes are as LIGHT as POSSIBLE.

7) Almost forgot...have a competent shop design and install a 2" receiver to the rear cross member of your trailer.

8) Do NOT purchase a bike rack that uses a 1 1/4" mount with a 2" adapter. Buy one that is designed for a full 2" receiver. This will allow less play in the set-up. If you MUST have a bike rack that utilizes a 1 1/4" receiver, then have a 1 1/4" hitch mounted on your trailer. Avoid using adapters at all cost. Utilize a hitch wobble eliminator. But, this does NOT negate the need to secure the top of the bikes to the mid-line of the trailer to prevent movement.

9) Again, an anti-wobble hitch mount is NOT a replacement for properly securing the bikes to the mid-line of the trailer!!!

10) Again...make absolutely sure the bikes can not move in ANY plane WHATSOEVER. This is what causes sway and rear end separation.

11) Make sure your weight distribution hitch is positively set up PROPERLY with the proper weight distribution on all FOUR of your tow vehicle's wheels.

12) If necessary, offset the added weight of the bikes and rack on the rear of the trailer by adding weight to the front of the trailer (such as filling a water tank, putting heavy groceries or something up front, etc.).

To sum up...basically, if you can get the bikes very close to the trailer, secured to the midband area of the trailer and keep them from moving in any way/shape/form, with an absolutely properly set up hitch, you're good to go.

This is the ONLY way to do it safely.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Or this

http://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Motor...on/CC-275.html
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I think this is the only authorized rack. Your dealer should be able to get you one. I have one for my 27' trailer. Two bikes max. They are tight up against the trailer. Takes some work to configure it so the bikes don't scratch each other as they are very close together, but once set up is great.

https://store.airstream.com/product/...kes-by-fiamma/

Skip the rear hitch receiver. I believe Airstream does not support that modification and it will only cause you headaches.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:35 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
I think this is the only authorized rack. Your dealer should be able to get you one. I have one for my 27' trailer. Two bikes max. They are tight up against the trailer. Takes some work to configure it so the bikes don't scratch each other as they are very close together, but once set up is great.

https://store.airstream.com/product/...kes-by-fiamma/

Skip the rear hitch receiver. I believe Airstream does not support that modification and it will only cause you headaches.

I would avoid the Fiamma unit.

Not only is it hideously ugly, but the upper mounts snap in half on WAY too many occasions which of course drags your bikes down the highway...usually without your knowledge. This could cause a horrible accident and/or death. Fiamma will not accept a claim for a defect and the mounts are stupendously expensive for such a small cheaply made POS part that WILL fail again.

The Fiamma unit also limits your ability to easily access your rear storage and you can't just easily remove it like you can with a hitch mounted bike rack.

This all may be moot, however. I'm pretty sure you can't even mount a Fiamma on a Sport anyway since there is no rear bumper or trunk...but who would want to even if you could? The back end of the Sport is a good looking trailer. It would be shame to ugly it up with that spaghetti mess of bent gray bolted-on tubes.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:39 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
you can buy a bolt on receiver for the front of your tow vehicle if you use a truck or suv and they are reasonable in price .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:01 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
$600 is not an arm and a leg, you are dealing with an experienced hitch installer. Quite frankly, that is cheap. I would go that route before trying to fabricate something unproven and by those not in the business.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:48 AM   #13
Luminous

1983 27' Excella
Vesuvius , Virginia
Roof rack on TV.
LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:24 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
We have tried almost every location for transporting bikes and found (although not perfect) bikes in the trailer work best. They stay clean and dry and away from thieves.

http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...&cutoffdate=-1
Old 06-30-2016, 10:50 AM   #15
Airstream Obsessed

2006 30' Classic
1989 29' Excella
Sandy , Utah
Plans not needed...

You don't really need any plans though, just go to your local Metal scrap yard and buy as much steel pipe and steel plate as you can find. Get a heavy duty receiver hitch and have someone start welding it all together. Make sure to add lots of extra steel supports. All the extra weight on the back will make the tongue lighter and therefor your tow vehicle will not have to work as hard...

Oh wait!!! Did you say 16' Airstream? I thought you said 36' Airstream.... NEVERMIND!

(All in jest!)

Seriously though, do your research, look at other options. Mounting a rack that connects to the frame alone is not wise, unless you keep the weight to a minimum. Try to find an option that distributes the load between the frame and the body. Good luck.

Here's my solution, works for me. I will be posting details later.

AVDESIGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:07 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
We mount ours on the truck bed cover

Simple solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bikes on truck.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	265584  
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:06 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoenJan16 View Post
We have a 2014 16' sport and would like to install a hitch receiver in back for a bike rack. Our Airstream dealer recommended a local hitch installer. They want an arm and a leg and over $600. I've started talking to a very reliable metal fabricator who is interested but has never done this particular job. He would like to see plans. Can anyone help? Any alternative ideas? Thanks!
JJ16, sorry the trolls jumped in on you early.

Welcome to the board and keep asking and you will get the answers you need.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:31 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Even if you use the AS approved one you must keep the weight down. Two bikes may be over the limit for that rack.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:37 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareStream View Post
I would avoid the Fiamma unit.

Not only is it hideously ugly, but the upper mounts snap in half on WAY too many occasions which of course drags your bikes down the highway...usually without your knowledge. This could cause a horrible accident and/or death.
Can you cite instances? I've only heard of one, and in that case the user overloaded their rack with electric bikes.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:40 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
I have to agree with Alphonse...sorry you got some initial discouragement. This board is usually much more patient with new members. Keep asking, and just ignore responses that don't fit what you're asking.
Question for the initial respondents: What would be better? LT or LS tires? Sendel rims? Upgrade to Michelins in 16" sizes?
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote