Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-16-2017, 08:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
Sheridan , California
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 51
Need generator advice

We're thinking about buying a Honda EU2000I for our 16' Sport to use the heater, TV, microwave, or recharge battery . Have several questions:
Do you simply start the generator, plug the trailer 30 amp chord into the trailer and into generator's 20 amp electrical plug ( with 30 amp adaptor )?
If we purchase the generator with the 30 amp electrical outlet ( for chaining ) will this work with the 30 amp trailer chord?
Is there any other issues that I've missed, such as grounding?
Thanks
__________________

__________________
Airabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:13 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member
 
Mount Dora , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 114
You will need an adapter with the EU2000i Companion model as well. It has a twist lock outlet on it.
These are great generators, you won’t be sorry to have bought one.
Whichever one you get, using an adapter is no big deal.
Install an Easy Start in your A/C and it will run that, too.
__________________

__________________
2017 FC 27FB
2017 F250 Lariat Crew Cab
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
AnnArborBob's Avatar
 
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,774
Images: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airabel View Post
We're thinking about buying a Honda EU2000I for our 16' Sport to use the heater, TV, microwave, or recharge battery . Have several questions:
Do you simply start the generator, plug the trailer 30 amp chord into the trailer and into generator's 20 amp electrical plug ( with 30 amp adaptor )?
If we purchase the generator with the 30 amp electrical outlet ( for chaining ) will this work with the 30 amp trailer chord?
Is there any other issues that I've missed, such as grounding?
Thanks
The answer to the first question is: yes. Using a 30 to 20 amp adaper, plug your shore power cord into the generator just as if it were a power pole at a campground.

As far as the second question is concerned, I don’t know. It may be that the 30 amp outlet on a “companion” type of generator is not energized unless it is properly daisy chained to a second generator. In any event you should have a 20 to 30 amp adapter for use when you only have access to a 20 amp outlet (such as at a friends house in their driveway.)

Know that if your sole uses for the generator are those you state (i.e., no AC) you could get a single 1000 watt generator and be fine. The only caveat is that when running the micriwave, you should not have any other significant loads on the generator. Your battery charger will not charge the batteries any faster with a 2000 watt generator than it will wih a 1000 watt unit as the stock Airstream charger’s output is limitd to between 3 and 5 amps (@120 volts AC or 30 to 50 amps @ 12 volts DC.) a 1000 watt generator is lighter, less expensive and slightly more fuel efficient than a 2000 watt unit.
__________________
Bob Martel
WBCCI# 5766
AnnArborBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:30 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
 
Mount Dora , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post

As far as the second question is concerned, I don’t know. It may be that the 30 amp outlet on a “companion” type of generator is not energized unless it is properly daisy chained to a second generator.
The twist lock 30 amp outlet on a Honda Companion is energized regardless of whether it’s paralleled or not.
__________________
2017 FC 27FB
2017 F250 Lariat Crew Cab
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:35 AM   #5
Rivet Slave
 
Rocinante's Avatar

 
2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,640
Blog Entries: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
The twist lock 30 amp outlet on a Honda Companion is energized regardless of whether it’s paralleled or not.

Yup, exactly right. However, unless you parallel, that outlet will only provide 20 Amps. There’s no electricity genie hiding inside.
__________________
Rocinante is our 2014 International Signature 27FB
(Named for John Steinbeck's camper from "Travels With Charley")


Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:49 PM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master
 
PKI's Avatar
 
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,113
So, no. The companion outlet will not work with a standard RV plug. Consequently the only reason to purchase companion unit is for additional power. You can purchase it later if needed, so first one need only be the standard, which is a bit less expensive. Caution, there was a recent post warning about Honda scammers. They look like real distributors, but will take your money and personal info while only sending you condolences from your friends.

Note - AC can be run with an EU 2000, if the "Easy Start" type upgrade is installed (ramps amp draw to keep it from spiking at start up). The concern is impact to AC warranty. Have not seen a recent update on that status, but one company is supposed to be selling direct. Maybe in time, they will have acceptability status.

If you don't want to use and carry gasoline, propane versions are available and can include dual/tri fuel capability for maximum flexibility.

Noise - IMPO, load has a bigger impact than generator brand. Unless the unit is industrial with no intent to be quiet, you will likely be OK. The other issue with noise is how long you run and when you run. End of day when folks are enjoying the outdoor relaxation space is a bad time. Early morning, while good for coffee and to recapture the overnight use, is when folks are trying to sleep in a bit is really not best either. After 9:00am for a two hour run and after dark for a one hour top off when folks are retired, but not trying to sleep may be best. Again, a personal opinion and not always needed or appropriate.

Solar - a portable solar panel is a good addition that lets you take advantage of mostly free power and minimize your generator use.

Good luck with your investigations and travel safe. Pat
__________________
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:19 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
BambiCamp's Avatar
 
2017 16' Sport
Adirondacks , New York
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 38
Airabel ... we faced with the same decision and went with the Yamaha Ef 2400. Wanted AC and did not feel I could install the EasyStart. The Yamaha lives in the bed of the TV, a pick-up - over the axles and under a folding tonneau cover - folded cover acts as roof for rain. It is locked to the floor using the LowPro Lockdown system. Very pleased to have AC!!
__________________
BambiCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,196
I know you did not ask, but the Champion is half the price and is a great generator for what you listed- $470 on Amazon. I have one I purchased a couple years ago. It is very reliable, starts with one pull, is very quiet, efficient, and light weight also. Honda and Yamaha are great also; just a bit pricy. Only difference other than Champion is half the price, is "if" you decide you want to run your AC at some point, the Honda and Yamaha may run the 13.5BTU AC with the use of installing an Easy Start capacitor...Champion will not quite get you there with a single unit but you can connect 2 and it would still be about the same as a single Honda or Yamaha investment. But, that's a few hundred more dollars also...
https://www.amazon.com/Champion-2000...000w+generator

I upgraded this last summer to the Dual Fuel model Champion 3400 which runs my AC fine and uses propane... one of these is still cheaper than the smaller Honda or Yamaha.
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,311
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Hi, Honda has a new up-graded 2200 generator that you might consider.
__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
Mollysdad's Avatar
 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,719
Honda, and I assume others use a twist lock plug so the cord doesn't fall out due to vibration.
The good news is that it's a standard twist lock, so there's a choice of adaptors.
I got this one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The only downside is it makes the RV cord exit at a weird angle, sideways. However, it makes it easy to secure it to the handle on my Honda. (3000)

No, no one grounds their generator. (Now someone will say they do. I've never seen it.)

Gas is a pain. I finally spent more on the JustRite metal cans, and they fit inside your average plastic milk crate snugly. I secure the crate to the truck and the cans don't move much, wear the bottom, or smell. Keep in mind if you're using the genny in the truck bed, you don't want to be lifting large gas cans to refill it. 2.5 gallon cans will run it for a while. Some folks use a marine type 6 gallon tank, with a different gas cap, and the EUHonda 2000is will probably run forever on 6 gallons of gas. (I believe the Honda 2000is has a fuel pump to make this possible.)
__________________
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
rodsterinfl's Avatar

 
2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,434
Images: 8
There are several options that were not on the market even a few years ago. Naturally everyone has their opinion. I would recommend a Yamaha 2400isHC 3-way. First, it is more powerful and is designed for running engines with a built-in capacitor that gives it a round-about tested 10 second burst to 3000 watts or so to provide engine/motor starting surges. Secondly, the Yamaha 2400 build uses the 171cc (5.5 HP) engine of the larger 3000 watt unit, less strain and is direct drive. Third, if you plan to use gas it has a built-in petcock and gauge. The 3-way option provides usage from LP tanks, natural gas or gasoline. It is not the same as the older plain 2400is unit- no HC or capacitor. Also, there is conflicting information on websites like yamahagenerators.com that say it will not run most 13,500 AC units then in the bullet points it says the exact opposite. It depends on the wattage and what ELSE you plan to run at the same time, like the converter/charger. It only has a 20 amp plug. I use my adapter and plug in the trailer. My converter charger has a switch to put it on standby until needed. I have no issues with my AC with that setting.

There was an excellent article about four years ago comparing the then current models in the 2000ish range and rated the Yamaha #1. The two most common issues with generator maintenance are gummed up carb and belts. The Yamaha does not use belts, has an all metal drive (last I checked) and if you run it on LP, no gumming issues. Honda belts do last a long time but...I have heard great things about that Champion too. The Yamaha 2400isHC is very different from other units in the 2000 watt range. If you compare it to the Honda 2000, a very popular model, you will pay a bit more for the Yamaha, $400 or so, but you gain what I have mentioned- 400 watts regular load plus the 10 second burst ability to go much higher. The Honda 2000 98cc (3HP) has a belt and it has a plastic cam. Not that it is bad but comparatively speaking, it is a difference. The sound level is about the same as tested. The Honda is quieter with no load and noisier at load. Shop around though. There are so many options and prices. There are new models, etc. Also, there is a company that specializes in LP snorkels or some such that give the LP option to just about any model which is highly recommended.
__________________
WBCCI 8653/AIR 60240
2017 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecobeast Gen 2 3.55 Platinum
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
Mollysdad's Avatar
 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,719
BTW, I didn't see an upgraded Honda 2200 in a inverter generator.
There are lots of 2200 construction generators. Don't.
The EU 2000 IS is a quiet, reliable, lightweight, inverter generator.
(Inverter generators don't run at a constant speed to maintain 60 cycles.)
Don't buy the open frame kind used at building sites.
__________________
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
There are several options that were not on the market even a few years ago. Naturally everyone has their opinion. I would recommend a Yamaha 2400isHC 3-way. First, it is more powerful and is designed for running engines with a built-in capacitor that gives it a round-about tested 10 second burst to 3000 watts or so to provide engine/motor starting surges. Secondly, the Yamaha 2400 build uses the 171cc (5.5 HP) engine of the larger 3000 watt unit, less strain and is direct drive. Third, if you plan to use gas it has a built-in petcock and gauge. The 3-way option provides usage from LP tanks, natural gas or gasoline. It is not the same as the older plain 2400is unit- no HC or capacitor. Also, there is conflicting information on websites like yamahagenerators.com that say it will not run most 13,500 AC units then in the bullet points it says the exact opposite. It depends on the wattage and what ELSE you plan to run at the same time, like the converter/charger. It only has a 20 amp plug. I use my adapter and plug in the trailer. My converter charger has a switch to put it on standby until needed. I have no issues with my AC with that setting.

There was an excellent article about four years ago comparing the then current models in the 2000ish range and rated the Yamaha #1. The two most common issues with generator maintenance are gummed up carb and belts. The Yamaha does not use belts, has an all metal drive (last I checked) and if you run it on LP, no gumming issues. Honda belts do last a long time but...I have heard great things about that Champion too. The Yamaha 2400isHC is very different from other units in the 2000 watt range. If you compare it to the Honda 2000, a very popular model, you will pay a bit more for the Yamaha, $400 or so, but you gain what I have mentioned- 400 watts regular load plus the 10 second burst ability to go much higher. The Honda 2000 98cc (3HP) has a belt and it has a plastic cam. Not that it is bad but comparatively speaking, it is a difference. The sound level is about the same as tested. The Honda is quieter with no load and noisier at load. Shop around though. There are so many options and prices. There are new models, etc. Also, there is a company that specializes in LP snorkels or some such that give the LP option to just about any model which is highly recommended.
I could not find the model you mention, supporting propane? I like the Champion since it is about same weight as Yamaha and Honda models in this output range; however, there are at least 2 clear differences from the Champion I notice:
1) cost- the Champion Dual Fuel is about $300-$400 cheaper.
2) capability- the Champion will run the 1500AC without any help; the Yamaha model mentioned will run the 13,500AC. There is a caution on other AC units:
NOTE: The EF2400iSHC will NOT run most Air Conditioner units and does NOT have a 30 amp electrical receptacle. Yamahagenerators.com does not recommend purchasing this model to run your Air Conditioner.

I think the Yamaha and Honda are great units. I think the Yamaha sounds a little quieter of the 2; the Champion is very close if not the same in noise, weight. But the Champion also has electric start, runs propane, and is less expensive...great choice for the price.
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master
 
rodsterinfl's Avatar

 
2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,434
Images: 8
Need generator advice

Try this link. They also sell the snorkel kit for LP https://www.motorsnorkel.com/ef24ish...generator.html

They used to modify the carb for you and sell it warrantied. The old way required drilling into the carb. I had them do it to be under warranty. Now they have a no-drill method so customers can do it. BTW the 2400 says surge to 2400 but it actually tested higher. I will look for the test although it is four years old or so.

Yeah, I see the note from Yamaha generators.com note too the bulleted statement on he same page that it will run most 13,500 ACs as other sites state.

You know, while looking up the info on the Yammy I read a review on the Champion 3100 and it was pretty good and $799! I would look at that one and also check about a snorkel for it to use LP. Hey, interestingly the motor on the Champion is 171cc. The same cc as the Yamaha 2400 and 3000. Wonder if it is the same motor? Wow. That might be your ticket.

http://generatoradvisor.com/champion...ter-generator/
__________________

__________________
WBCCI 8653/AIR 60240
2017 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecobeast Gen 2 3.55 Platinum
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEED ADVICE! Buying a 2015 vs. 2016 -- what do I need to look for??? lovespirit Buyer Guidelines 26 07-31-2015 04:17 PM
Parallel non inverter generator with inverter generator? mtbguy Generators & Solar Power 3 07-15-2015 02:48 PM
Solar or generator or and generator? badkat Full-Timing 15 11-17-2014 10:59 PM
Simple Generator Needs Advice Sought ironfem200 Generators & Solar Power 25 08-12-2007 03:18 AM
Need help/advice -- Onan generator failed Taxman Generators & Solar Power 1 05-11-2007 10:14 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.