Old 03-23-2011, 08:05 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Amelia , Ohio
Well, it's not connected to any of the TV lights. The mystery remains...

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Tom

Old 03-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Tom...

Are there any switches on the inside of your rig that you don't know what they are for? ...In the bathroom area for instance? The only logical use would be to have extra light when hooking up connections ... but then logic doesn't always come into play as we all well know.

If that light on the underside of the edge of the rig by the dump valves is intermittent when it's turned on, perhaps that's where the odd light is wired in and it's messed up...causing the intermittent connection and no connection at all to the mystery light. I can't imagine someone putting a light there without a way to turn it on.

Have you checked inside the bumper compartment for a switch?

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:00 PM   #31
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I have the same fixture by my step, and the switch controlling it is right inside the door, a white rocker switch in a panel of three switches.

To me it looks like your light is in a non-standard location. With the custom installation the switch could be anywhere, but I'd sure look near the light.

Could you inquire where you bought it and see if they'd contact the PO?
Old 03-23-2011, 04:13 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Just curious, if you plug something into the 110 outlet box below it, does the light light up?

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:26 PM   #33
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
Just curious, if you plug something into the 110 outlet box below it, does the light light up?
Open the covers on the AC outlet.
Perhaps one of them is a switch.

Ken
Old 03-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Amelia , Ohio
The outlets below the light are for the phone and cable hookups. I will check the ac outlets on the other side, though. At this point I'll try anything (almost)

Cheers,
Tom
Old 03-24-2011, 09:29 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
I'd go about it like this....

If you were to pull fuses, one by one till you found the one that put the power to your light, it might show you what else is on that circuit and give you a hint....

Only take a few minutes and maybe it will shine some light on the subject !

heh, heh, eheh....

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:13 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
If TBRich doesn't have the answer, I would go to the other trump card...Johnco. They know everything.

Randy Bowman
Old 03-24-2011, 10:34 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Amelia , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4WEDI View Post
If you were to pull fuses, one by one till you found the one that put the power to your light, it might show you what else is on that circuit and give you a hint....

Only take a few minutes and maybe it will shine some light on the subject !

heh, heh, eheh....
Not quite sure I understand this. I can't get the light to work in the first place, so pulling fuses to determine which one turns the light off wouldn't work. Unless, of course, I'm missing something, which is entirely possible...

Cheers,
Tom
Old 03-24-2011, 10:46 PM   #38
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Could it be factory installed? It looks just like my factory step light. If factory installed maybe someone there has a memory of it. Either some kind of special order item, or covering a flaw in the sheet metal. You can email them with a pic or two.

If it was installed aftermarket the wiring would likely stay between the light and closest source of power with switch somewhere in between. I can't see them running wiring extensively through the shell after trailer was built.

I'd still try to track down the previous owner. Is there any paperwork on board which helps ID him? Service receipts, old registrations? I bet with some detective work you can find out who it was.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:20 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
Couple more places to look...Check out the battery box and see if there are any "aftermarket" leads and/or switches. I'd also throughly scour the rear storage area and see if you can see where he may have run the wires. Judging from the location they would run down between the outer shell and the shower. You can get a small peek of the under shower area if you can stick your head in the rear storage door and look through the cutout for the plumbing that is run through the rear storage area (or use a small mirror). There is a small area between the bed and the bathroom wall that is open to that area, maybe the po ran some sort of "scare" switch he could reach down and trigger? If not there then maybe something under the vanity sink, there is a lot of access to wiring under there too. One last place to check is the panel at the base of the vanity sink. It's held in by cabinet latches and is removable if you gently pry it out. Any foreign wiring should be easily noticed and prehaps give you a clue as to where the switch is hidden. After all that, if it's still a mystery I would probably unscrew the fixture and have someone GENTLY tug on the wires while I listened in all the above mentioned palces and see if I could get a read on where the wires are headed. Then again, this thing could just be some sick joke installed by the po to have you constantly scratching your head for your term of ownership...just saying.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Amelia , Ohio
Johnco,
Thanks so much for the good suggestions. I see that I'm sitting not too far away from you right now. I flew into Long Beach yesterday, and heading back to Cincinnati this afternoon. I thought southern Cal was supposed to be warm and sunny? Anyway, since reading your post, I'm eager to get back and try your suggestions.

The PO made some weird mods to the trailer, most of which have me scratching my head. But it's why we got such a good deal buying it...good enough that we drove all the way out to Las Vegas to get it. I've got the paperwork with the original owners name, but not sure he's the one that modded it. I've asked the selling RV dealer where I bought it to ask the PO if he'd call me, but haven't heard from him/her. They're probably too embarrassed to talk to me about how they screwed up a perfectly good Airstream

Regards,
Tom
Old 03-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #41
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Quote:
They're probably too embarrassed to talk to me about how they screwed up a perfectly good Airstream
"Hello, I'm XXX I just bought your Airstream and I just love it! There's this nice light on the side over the TV input and utilities , would LOVE to use it but can't find the switch. Can you help me with this?"
Old 03-25-2011, 02:15 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
OK - here goes my try at this mystery. I believe all of you are correct in that this is a standard after market install of a common step light. Why? Probably some damage to be hid - I know on my '66 Caravel that's how I covered (or removed) a damaged panel hole with a light right above the utilities.

Dumb question - is the bulb good? All this switch testing has me wondering if the bulb is blown - like it was on alot. Crimp connectors behind it - lucky wier find in the panel by the PO and just hook it up to something 12V inside the panel. Bath light switch?

My bet is the dump valve light switch controls this light too.

Good luck.

clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2006 bambi, exterior, mystery