Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2016, 12:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Mods for that CUTE little closet???

No one will dispute we need more closet space in the 16 sport closet....BUT the question is, what are some options to make it more useful??
Big Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:33 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
I guess we must be very light packers. We spent 110 nights in our 2015 Sport 16 last year and still haven't used all the storage space we have. We do tow with a Ford F 150 crew cab so a lot of our stuff is hauled in the truck.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:30 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Wow I guess no one has improved the tiny closet. We are going to add a set of wire baskets to the lower wall in the floor area. And we are going to add a shelf, prob also wire so the light shines through it and place it on the tiny ledge in the upper part of the closet. If we find a wire shelf with a curved front piece, we are going to mount it upside down this way the curved part will stick upwards and hold our things from sliding off during travel. I'll post picks when we get the work done. Right now NY is covered in the blizzard of 2016.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:57 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Air View Post
Wow I guess no one has improved the tiny closet. We are going to add a set of wire baskets to the lower wall in the floor area. And we are going to add a shelf, prob also wire so the light shines through it and place it on the tiny ledge in the upper part of the closet. If we find a wire shelf with a curved front piece, we are going to mount it upside down this way the curved part will stick upwards and hold our things from sliding off during travel. I'll post picks when we get the work done. Right now NY is covered in the blizzard of 2016.
That sounds like a good plan. allowing for access to the hot water tank bypass valves complicates closet organization.
*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:09 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Quick & easy...

Does your closet have one of these?.....

If yes....order this......much brighter,cooler and more efficient.

POI...if it doesn't light, turn it around , polarity sensitive.

Bob
Old 01-25-2016, 08:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Using wire, or those thin, suede-covered hangers, helps maximize hanging space.

I have hooks on both sides of mine, with small packing cubes hanging from them holding socks, etc....uses some of that wasted, vertical space.

The first year or so we had ours, Doug took some cedar paneling we had leftover from home closet re-dos, and lined the floor or the closet with it...the following year after I posted it on here, AS began offering cedar lined closets as an option.

Keeps things smelling fresh.

Maggie
Old 01-25-2016, 08:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Closet improvements in various trailers I've owned:
flat sheet metal hangers with wire rod hooks, allows a few extra clothing items.
small hooks on one side wall for belts
coat hooks on inside of door for 2 jackets
relocated the closet rod closer to the rear wall, to allow for the coat hook.
shoe shelf at the bottom (plastic with legs) We need two levels, since my size 15's take up so much space

I also hang a collapsible overnight bag on the rod nearest the hinge, in the space that is to narrow for a hanger in my closet, since there is no other space for luggage. We have found this handy when we occasionally visit friends when we are on the road, and they have no place to park the trailer nearby.

ps: @ Maggie, I've had two trailers, both 1999 Excellas, that came from the factory with the rear wall of the closet paneled in cedar. I've found when the cedar aroma lessens as it ages, rubbing it a little with extra fine sandpaper will bring the aroma back and make it look new.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:56 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
I have been thinking about a modification very much like the one you describe Big Air. It seems like there could be two shelves on the bottom (making it 3 by including the floor) and a small one on top. I was also thinking of simple wire shelves turned upside down so the lip would go up and hold items in place for travel.

I'm going to add some hooks to the inside of the door for hats, belts and such. I'm thinking of Command hooks so I can move them around if they don't work.

Please take some pictures and post your results.

Stan
Salt Lake City
spenfolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ok, Alan....they didn't copy my idea.

Maggie
Old 03-17-2016, 10:46 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

We finished the closet mods. Check out our NEW post above ^^^^^
We included pics.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:48 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenfolder View Post
I have been thinking about a modification very much like the one you describe Big Air. It seems like there could be two shelves on the bottom (making it 3 by including the floor) and a small one on top. I was also thinking of simple wire shelves turned upside down so the lip would go up and hold items in place for travel.

I'm going to add some hooks to the inside of the door for hats, belts and such. I'm thinking of Command hooks so I can move them around if they don't work.

Please take some pictures and post your results.

Stan

Salt Lake City

We finished the project Stan. I've posted pics. I'm happy with the results. Used up all the dead and wasted space. Check it out!
Nancie