Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2014, 06:13 PM   #1

2012 16' Sport
Morrill , Nebraska
Maybe we should sell our Bambi???

I really thought I wanted to go camping...a lot! I was wrong! We have a darling little 2012 Airstream Bambi and we've used it once! I think we may need to sell it, but I have no idea how much we should ask for it. I just know how much it cost new. It has a scratch on one side of the exterior and it's prefect inside. Just wondering how much of a loss it will be if I present this idea of selling to my husband.
colleenh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
Do it sooner rather than later, unless you want to keep it for 30 years and sell it as a vintage

I
sinjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:54 PM   #3
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
colleenh100,

Sorry, can't help you on selling ideas. But maybe you got off to rough start and just need some coaching or just some better luck to start enjoying camping.

If I could keep my better 1/2 dry, well fed and had a cup of coffee ready when she woke up, I was doing a good and that was via tent camping.

Lots of good help available here.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:09 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Check the classified ad section here to see what other trailers like yours are being listed at. Also check sales on eBay to see what trailers like yours really sell for.

You'll probably have to take quite a bit off of the price of a brand new one to get it to move. Have you considered taking it to your local AS dealer and asking them what they would give you for it? Maybe they would sell it on consignment?

Good luck!
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
I think there must be more to this than we know. Perhaps some therapy would be in order.

At any rate, this is a really bad time to sell a summertime toy. You will probably get much more for it in the early spring. That will also give you and your hubby some time to talk about it and maybe come to answers to what is really the problem.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We don't use our Airstream to go camping, we use it to travel and have our own little home and sleep in our own bed wherever we are. It's a precious luxury, and we are in it 6-7 months a year somewhere.

No Airstream is easier to travel with than the Bambi, and that's a luxury in itself. Plan some trips, see some stuff. It's wonderfully habit-forming.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Oh, I do hate to see you give up on Airstreaming after only using your Bambi one time. I can't imagine that. And you will probably take a big hit on selling it. Unless there are mitigating circumstances that you have chosen not to share, you really ought to be fair to yourself (and your Bambi) and give it another go. If it would help, you could find a rally near you and gather with other Airstreamers to see if that kind of camping would better suit you...or find some friends to share the camping experience with — Airstreamers or not.

If you must sell, your best bet as to pricing is to look through the classifieds here. on other selling sites, dealers dealers who sell used rigs.... to determine what similar rigs are going for...

Good luck, and I for one, hope you can find it in yourself to give your Bambi a 2nd chance,
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:05 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
"Camping" in an Airstream... If we based our opinion on the first trip... We wouldn't be here and the AS would be gone.

We even bought used and had challenges. We kept with it and now YEARN for out chance to "Stream"... It is a special consciousness.

Now, what was trip #1 like? Can you drive? You can probably tow it yourself and invite hubby along! =}

Whatever your reason(s) we wish you all the best in your choice. Hopefully it wasnt out charming demeanors that snuffed it out.

Price... Well, probably $8000 when you drive off dealers lot. Then about 8% per year would be purely speculative.

Also, selling at the end of the "camping season" not likely to bring best price.

So... Sorry to see ya go after only one post.. Be well.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #9

Lincoln , Nebraska
Hi! My family lives in Lincoln, NE and we have 2 boys who have started to really get into camping - if you ever want to sell your Bambi and not have to list it etc., we would be really interested. My email is LauMcL@msn.com - or if you're able to fall in love with it again that's wonderful too thanks! Laura
LalaLaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Keswick , VA
I agree with lots of the responses especially dkottum. We also don't "camp", but use our AS for traveling. We have joked about calling it "Silver Nitrate" the stuff you seed clouds with to make it rain. The first four times we were out this year all it did was pour! That said, we are still "newbies" but make an effort to meet folks at each new site and have made some wonderful contacts for future trips and seen some great country. Keep plugging away. If you have to sell my opinion is use a dealer. We tried to buy a used AS and ultimately bought a new one. Something about paying an individual all that money without some kind of guarantee. Best of luck in whatever decision you make.
herkvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:58 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by herkvet View Post
We have joked about calling it "Silver Nitrate" the stuff you seed clouds with to make it rain. The first four times we were out this year all it did was pour!
Some of my favorite times in my trailer have been a relaxing afternoon or evening, cozy and dry in the trailer with a book and hot cocoa while the rain pours down outside. That patter of rain on the roof just erases everything else that's going on.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:29 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by herkvet
We have joked about calling it "Silver Nitrate" the stuff you seed clouds with to make it rain. The first four times we were out this year all it did was pour!

Some of my favorite times in my trailer have been a relaxing afternoon or evening, cozy and dry in the trailer with a book and hot cocoa while the rain pours down outside. That patter of rain on the roof just erases everything else that's going on.

While you're relaxing in the afternoon listening to the rain with a cocoa in your hand, your husband is probably stammering and muttering each time he hears a rain drop on the aluminum and wondering where the next leak will be. He probably has a beer or two in each hand...but relaxing!!!
mocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Actually I'm the one who worries about leaks, he's usually napping

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:20 PM   #14
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Airstream dealers will have a "book" or list price for the various models and ages. I'm not sure where your closest dealer will be, but you can find out from the Airstream web site. There will be a market for a gently used Bambi, but mostly because of what you'll take on the depreciation over the cost of the buyers purchasing a brand new one.

But wow, too bad! We camped for 7 years in our little Bambi and really enjoyed it. A combination of insurance money from pay-out on an accident and seriously wanting to spend more time camping convinced us to move up slightly to the next size.

Do you mind sharing why you decided Bambi-camping isn't for you?
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
I know the feeling of frustrations because most of us have been there, one time or another for some reason or another. Keep telling yourself that it is all worth it, and it is. It's nice to set outside your trailer and watch the people walk by and most make a very favorable comment. I had a fella that works for a company that makes water filters ask me if he could take a picture of our trailer for their magazine in exchange for his product--a filter. He said mine was the nicest trailer he has seen. On several occasions I have parked between these great big, humongous, beautiful, motor homes and people will stop to ask me questions about my Airstream. The pride that I feel more than makes up for the frustration and temper tantrums I put myself through. Hang in there kiddo..... Tom
mocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Go to the NADA website and enter the information about your trailer and get the average retail price. Adjust for the scratch if its bad.

Sorry it didn't work out for you. Maybe the floorplan is the issue. If you don't like the floorplan after your first outing you may not feel like using it. Sounds like you may have scratched the trailer at that time.

Here is a blog that may inspire you to keep it. They live in Oregon.

The Small Small Trailer | Weekend adventures in our 16 ft. Airstream Bambi

Kelvn
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
that was her one and only post.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:43 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Guess they must of sold their trailer and moved. No follow up post after the first one.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Hmmm... something just ain't right about that post. We may never know what the deal was there.

Anyway, to those of you who are still here, MERRY CHRISTMAS !
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:57 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
It seems it doesn't matter if it is a 16' or a 30', you see almost new trailers, barely used, for sale. Some people like the idea of camping but not the reality. I'd advise any prospective buyer to rent for a week (any trailer - the experience is the same) before buying. We were fortunate to be able to rent an Airstream trailer before we bought.
We have a Shasta retro trailer on order. The FB group associated with these trailers is showing alot of buyers with no camping experience, but a desire to own one based on the "cuteness". Most of the posts discuss the color coordinated crap they have found to decorate the trailer with. The posts dealing with substantive issues show a surprising lack of knowledge about towing, waste tanks, basic electrical functions, etc. The result is that I predict that half of these will be back on the market within a year or two after purchase.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote