Old 05-30-2012, 10:58 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Leesburg , Virginia
Yamaha Gen

I just wanted to add that we just purchased our first travel trailer. It is a 2006 19' Bambi 75th Anniv. CCD. With the purchase we got a Yamaha EF2400. Now we haven't had the opportunity to use it yet, but the previous owner said that it runs the AC just fine with the lights on that everything else on Propane. What I can tell you is that the generator hadn't been run in almost 3 years. I gassed it up and it started on the 2nd pull. Very smooth and quiet. I cant wait to run the trailer on it, but I do want to get a larger gas tank. In fact, I have been thinking about how to hook it up to the truck gas tank. Anyone ever done that or have any thoughts on it?

Smitty

Old 05-30-2012, 11:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I know I'm gonna take some heat from all you Honda and Yamaha guys. I bought two Champion 2000 inverter gensets at Costco and ordered the sine connector with the 30amp plug. They stack nice, run well are quiet and will run everything on the AS. Time will tell about reliability. Champion seems to want to make a presence in the US market and their products have gotten good ratings. I hope it was a good choice. They sure look nicer stacked together than the other ones.
Dan

Old 05-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #17

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by netman1969 View Post
I just wanted to add that we just purchased our first travel trailer. It is a 2006 19' Bambi 75th Anniv. CCD. With the purchase we got a Yamaha EF2400. Now we haven't had the opportunity to use it yet, but the previous owner said that it runs the AC just fine with the lights on that everything else on Propane. What I can tell you is that the generator hadn't been run in almost 3 years. I gassed it up and it started on the 2nd pull. Very smooth and quiet. I cant wait to run the trailer on it, but I do want to get a larger gas tank. In fact, I have been thinking about how to hook it up to the truck gas tank. Anyone ever done that or have any thoughts on it?

Smitty
2 potential issues with running the generator directly from the truck's fuel tank.

One is that modern fuel systems are very particular about pressure and venting in the system, and it doesn't have to be far off what the computer expects to cause it to flag it as a problem and light the "Check Engine" light, and potentially cause you to fail an inspection if emissions is part of your local vehicle inspection regiment.

Another is that you must be careful to pull fuel from significantly higher than the tow vehicle's fuel pickup, so that you don't accidentally run the fuel too low.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:53 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Leesburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
2 potential issues with running the generator directly from the truck's fuel tank.

One is that modern fuel systems are very particular about pressure and venting in the system, and it doesn't have to be far off what the computer expects to cause it to flag it as a problem and light the "Check Engine" light, and potentially cause you to fail an inspection if emissions is part of your local vehicle inspection regiment.

Another is that you must be careful to pull fuel from significantly higher than the tow vehicle's fuel pickup, so that you don't accidentally run the fuel too low.
Thanks DKB, I very much appreciate the advice. We have an 06 4-Runner with a 23 gallon tank and rarely let it fall below a quarter of a tank. My thought was that if we fill up on the way in to camp (or close), that gives us a good supply of gas if we are boondocking. I seriously doubt we would need to do this often at all, we expect to camp at established grounds more often. But, it may be an option. As far as I can tell, there are no screens or filters between the fill and the tank, but naturally I will verify that first.

Smitty
Old 05-31-2012, 11:51 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Forums! And congrats on your new Bambi and your new generator... You're all set then! Let the fun begin!

(We have a 13,500 BTU AC so we use two Honda 2000s when we want AC and one other times... Space is a premium for us so it's nice to have the smaller footprint than the 3000w when we need only one...not to mention more manageable weight ...for us.)
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:23 AM   #20
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

DW loves the power but hated the gas smell, so I converted to dual use LPG four Seasons ago. LPG gets used anytime we're camping, the small tank lasts close to a week with careful use.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PROPANE CONVERSION, HONDA 2000 001.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	658.5 KB
ID:	159784  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
This thread has gestated for a while, and many users have offered sage counsel on various generator options, so I hope I'm not hijacking it by offering my perspective.

The generator question seems to pop up a lot, and many users have articulated their very legitimate sizing requirements to meet their needs, such as 2000w or so in order to power most microwaves, 3000w or the combo of 2-2000w to power most AS AC units, etc. Some users with more limited needs, express an interest in powering only a few lights, and charging their batteries to extend their dry camping. They’ve asked about the 1000w generator to meet those needs.

My view is that the 1000w generator will easily power the lighting, and will charge the batteries, especially if you remove them and connect the generator directly to a quality external charger. Besides that, the 1000w has significant limitations, that aren’t justified in the small pricing differential between the 1000w and the 2000w sold by Honda and Yamaha. Consequently, my view is that if one is buying either of those quality brands, then I would spend the extra couple of hundred bucks and buy the 2000w over the 1000w, even if your current needs can be met with only the 1000w unit.

On the other hand…I think there’s another, far cheaper option for those with very basic lighting and battery-charging needs. I realize that there’s a love-hate view of Harbor Freight products on the forum, but I’ve found that while many of their products may not meet heavy-user professional needs, they economically and satisfactorily meet many typical homeowner needs, which often only get occasional use. If I were shopping for a 1000w generator to meet those very basic needs, then I would take a look at this 800w HF unit, currently sell for $99 (with Super Coupon). On the surface, my only aversion is 2-cycle, but for $99, limited power requirements, occasional needs, you’ve got very little value at risk versus the $800 or so for the 1000w better-known brands. If it doesn’t work out, save it for the home emergency, or take it to a recycler.

Maybe some other forum users already have experience with this product that they could share, pro or con.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HF 800w Generator.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	159798  
Old 06-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The blue unit above is sold under MANY names and with a few configurations. I just couldn't pass up this chinese unit at a local store for $99 badged as a Coleman and green in color. Mine must be the "deluxe" unit as it has a volt meter, a 12V outlet and a couple other items.

It's a 2 stroke and quite loud. I'd never use it in a campground, but it's fine for toting to a worksite to power a saw, drill, etc. Runs well and actually will pull 1200 watts at 118 volts. Parts? uh, it's a throwaway.

I'll also say, if you are boondocking with no neighbors and you can stand the noise, it is plenty to charge the batts through the converter (pulls 900W max and tapers off). After say 15 minutes the converter drops to pulling about 400 watts, then you can watch TV, use lights, etc.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
I do have one caveat about the pictured $99 generator. It is based off a 1970s Yamaha design, the ET800. It was never designed to run electronics or anything sensitive to voltage surges/spikes/transients. Some YouTube videos will see 160 volt spikes when turning on and off loads.

With the economy as shabby as it is, if that generator is all one can afford, then that is it, and there is no shame in having one. However, if this is going to be someone's "main" generator and one could afford more, I'd at least buy a Champion open-framed model that is a four stroke, or even better, an inverter generator which would give clean power. Of course, the ideal is a Honda or Yamaha, but they are pricy but well worth it.

The uses I can see for the ET800 clones is either something to have in case of emergency (and its carb is delicate, so it will need to be run completely out of fuel and the float bowl drained before storing, or it would need to be stored fuel that has both the oil and Sta-Bil in it), or powering something that can handle the dirty power, such as incandescent light bulbs, pumps, or the like.

Kamiak is right about 1000/2000 watt inverter generators. The price difference is so low, (oftentimes just a C-note) that unless the weight or space is a major concern, just get the 2000 watt model. This will handle most loads except for a larger microwave, or a 13,500/15000 watt AC.

Tags
2006 bambi