Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2017, 11:28 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Lifting a Bambi with Henschen axle?

We have a 2006 International CCD 16', but would like to lift it 3 inches or so. Crawling underneath, I found it has the Henschen #3500 axle, which pre-dates the Dexters. I am wondering if the #10 Dexter lift kit will fit, assuming the frame mount holes remained the same. Has anyone done a lift on a Henschen axle using the Dexter kit, or knows of another alternative?
Old 09-18-2017, 08:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
The company (GKN/Henschen Axle) is also located in Jackson, Ohio. I'll bet Airstream can put you in touch or answer the question. (But I believe Henschen has quit making torsion axles.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Seems like a pretty easy job to make or have made what you need. Looking at my frame rail width it appears about 2" wide so 2" x 3" rectangular steel tubing in 3/16 or 1/4" and drilled to match your hole centers. We have a specialty bolt dealer that could supply the needed grade 8 bolts and nuts and washers needed, not hard stuff to come by.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:43 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Thanks for the responses. I traced Henschen down to the distributor that handles them now (I forgot whom) and left a question on their support page. Not sure this will go anywhere. However, I found another thread where someone used the Dexter lifts with a Henschen axle. This wasn't the same axle (I think it was a #11), but they reported that the holes lined up. This all makes sense, because if I were Airstream I would have requested both suppliers to supply attachment holes in exactly the same points.

As Al said, this should be a pretty straightforward fabrication if needed. Of course, I'm trying to make it as easy as possible. If the hole lineups are the same for my 16' CCD regardless of brand, which I suspect they are, then I can just order the appropriate lifts from Dexter. My axle is #3500 rated, so that equates to a #10 axle. Even better- these lifts come in pairs, not fours.

I don't know anything more I can do to test this hypothesis, other than just ordering the parts and seeing if the holes line up.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:44 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Timely discussion for me as well. I just got off the phone with a couple people at Dexter (contacted through their sales number on their website). Neither had heard of Henschen, and both acted like I was the first person who'd even attempted this (which seemed weird, but oh well). I suppose fabricating them isn't too bad.

This guy (Steve from The More We Explore) made his own out of angle iron/gussets. Looks like it's missing two holes when the picture was taken:

https://www.instagram.com/themoreweexplore/

Scroll down and you'll see pics of the lift kit and pics in progress. I'll post here if I happen to get a follow up from Dexter, or any other info that helps add to the topic.

Dave
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:04 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Very interesting Instagram page. Thanks for the tip.

I read his comments on the lift photos. He said something like it cost him $65 and a bunch of fabrication time, but compared it to >$200 to buy from Dexter, and not have to wait their delivery times. It was an ambiguous statement, and still made me wonder if the bolt patterns could be compatible. I didn't see him say the name of the axle, only that it wasn't Dexter.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
etrailer also sells lift kits: https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...ries_and_Parts

Some of their listings mention the distance between hole center to center....and some don't...but they have experts who will answer your questions of the products.

And their prices on Dexter lift kits are much more pleasant than most distributors. Single axle kits are sold for as little as $45 and double axle kits for $125. https://www.etrailer.com/question-220964.html
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Good information, thanks!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote