Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2018, 02:57 PM   #81

2016 22' Sport
Hopkins , South Carolina
Thanks for the tip. I'll probably get my 27 yr. old son to help since he can crawl around easier than I can. I'm still waiting to hear back from LCONTINENTAL in NC.
MikeWhitake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:51 PM   #82
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Mike,

I don't know what the wrench access is like on your rig, but a 15/16 combo wrench and a SHORTY 15/16 combo were almost required on the dual axle that I worked on.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:07 AM   #83

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Mike,

If you can safely lift and support the trailer then remove both wheels you pretty much had the access you need. Then it’s knuckles v sharp edges etc.

But before dropping an axle I’d scribe mark its position straight up onto the frame and return it to that position after lift is installed.

15/16” wrenches will get workout.

Count your bandaids, we score based on how many used.

Gary

Do NOT remove both tires at once. One axle at a time. Remember, you are going to be under that trailer!
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:21 AM   #84
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
Do NOT remove both tires at once. One axle at a time. Remember, you are going to be under that trailer!
sheriff1,

A 22' Sport is a single axle trailer.

My recommendation is based on having installing a lift kit on a 30' tandem and having lifted my 30' multiple times is to lift, then SUPPORT with jack stands and then proceed. The SUPPORT is a at minimum a pair of automotive jack stands on the frame right at the axle.

Automotive, light truck and other vehicle repairs, std practice has been to raise with a jack, then SUPPORT with jack stands prior to repairs under the vehicle.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:47 PM   #85
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
I look VERY forward to performing this lift alteration IF (big if) it will still clear my 10x10 overhead shop door. i never measured it closely as our popup trailer clears it fully deployed. We would continue using it in the shop when the cold October winds off Superior start to drive us back and finally inside. As I still haven't laid eyes on (or under) our trailer I am going to spare you all the questions I have until then but one intriguing thing that Boxite described in his installation description is

"I then placed jackstands (4 of them) beneath the main frames as they run above the sheet metal. It's easy to see where."

I am excited to see where these four points are!

(btw the door isn't fully open in the photo)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vanshopdoor.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	311580  
keweenawbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:27 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
My hangar door (capable of 12'7" but when raised only to 10') easily clears my 22'Sport with the lift kit installed with several inches to spare...and I have a tall Fantastic Fan Vent-cover also. I'm fairly certain that if your door actually provides 10' clearance you'll have no problem.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:08 AM   #87
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
My hangar door (capable of 12'7" but when raised only to 10') easily clears my 22'Sport with the lift kit installed with several inches to spare...and I have a tall Fantastic Fan Vent-cover also. I'm fairly certain that if your door actually provides 10' clearance you'll have no problem.
I hope so!

I have been watching (obsessively) Patrick @ Colonial's 38 minute video. There is one instance where he points the camera underneath the trailer at the axle area. I think I may know what you are referencing with those four jack stand locations. Are they fairly close together fore and aft of the axle on both sides where that triangular steel support rises up to the sheet metal?
Old 05-22-2018, 09:36 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by keweenawbee View Post
I hope so!

I have been watching (obsessively) Patrick @ Colonial's 38 minute video. There is one instance where he points the camera underneath the trailer at the axle area. I think I may know what you are referencing with those four jack stand locations. Are they fairly close together fore and aft of the axle on both sides where that triangular steel support rises up to the sheet metal?
I think you're over-visualizing this...if that's possible. Think of how the trailer is constructed: It's an "H" frame... or "Ladder" frame. The crossmember of the H is the axle...and the side-bar/uprights of the H is the frame forward and aft of the axle. Get under the trailer.... look where the axle is attached...and straight forward and straight aft of those attachments is where the frame continues until the ends of the trailer are reached. Place the jackstands a couple feet forward and aft of those axle attach points and you'll be directly beneath the "H" and be supporting the trailer properly.
One can easily "tap" or "rap" on the sheet-metal covering underneath the trailer with your knuckles and determine where it's solid at the frame vs where it's simply sheet metal covering a hollow space.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:39 AM   #89
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
That's exactly what I thought. With the jack stands where you speak it would seem very solid and would not cause the flexing around the body (door frames, etc.) mentioned in other threads (with the stabilizers & tongue supported)?

It would seem your four jack stands are fully simulating the two wheel's support.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:08 PM   #90
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Durham , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LContinental View Post
I bought a Dexter #11 axle kit to lift my 2018 Bambi Sport 22. Couldn't be happier with the result. I have the other half of the kit to sell. Half of the purchase plus priority mail shipping = $88 total price to US addresses. Let me know, Thanks.
Update: sold
LContinental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:23 PM   #91

2018 22' Sport
Menlo Park , California
Just installed 1/2 of a Dexter #11 axle kit on my 2018 Sport 22. Very happy with the result. I have the other half of the kit to sell. PM me if interested. $95 which includes shipping to US address.
kenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:42 AM   #92
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Lancaster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LContinental View Post
I bought a Dexter #11 axle kit to lift my 2018 Bambi Sport 22. Couldn't be happier with the result. I have the other half of the kit to sell. Half of the purchase plus priority mail shipping = $88 total price to US addresses. Let me know, Thanks.
I'm interested in having this shipped to me in CA. Is it still available?
mammothmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:32 AM   #93
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Lancaster , California
Looking for a single axle kit?

anyone still have half their 22 sport kit left over? Looking to pick up in CA or have shipped to me. For 2017 Sport.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #94
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Durham , North Carolina
Sorry, I sold it last month. Good luck!
LContinental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:50 PM   #95

2018 22' Sport
Menlo Park , California
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenb View Post
Just installed 1/2 of a Dexter #11 axle kit on my 2018 Sport 22. Very happy with the result. I have the other half of the kit to sell. PM me if interested. $95 which includes shipping to US address.
Sold
kenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:15 PM   #96
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Lancaster , California
Hello all. I bought a half kit from another member for my 22 sport.

Waiting for delivery but in the meantime my honey and I checked underneath to see what issues I might need to anticipate.

I have the gas line running through my axle just like a previous poster noted. It is attached with several adel clamps and some of them are riveted so would be a pain to remove/reattach. But not impossible

I'm thinking the best way to deal with that might be to disconnect the gas line at the couplings on either side of the axle, slide the copper out, do the lift, send the copper through the new axle spacer and then reattach the LP couplings? This might require drilling out the adel clamps.

Any other suggestions? Am I overcomplicating? Forum would not let me post an actual pic, but there's a link to my google hosted pic of the gas line/axle below.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6XvPyDAfhFYUpDgf8
Old 07-17-2018, 04:24 PM   #97
2 Rivet Member

Acton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothmama View Post
Hello all. I bought a half kit from another member for my 22 sport.

Waiting for delivery but in the meantime my honey and I checked underneath to see what issues I might need to anticipate.

I have the gas line running through my axle just like a previous poster noted. It is attached with several adel clamps and some of them are riveted so would be a pain to remove/reattach. But not impossible

I'm thinking the best way to deal with that might be to disconnect the gas line at the couplings on either side of the axle, slide the copper out, do the lift, send the copper through the new axle spacer and then reattach the LP couplings? This might require drilling out the adel clamps.

Any other suggestions? Am I overcomplicating? Forum would not let me post an actual pic, but there's a link to my google hosted pic of the gas line/axle below.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6XvPyDAfhFYUpDgf8

I'm going to install my kit in a few weeks. I have a new 2019 model and checked to see if the gas line would be a problem. New to 2019 the gas line is hose not copper with gas fittings at each end. It should be easy to relocate my hose.
sinfulpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:57 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Hm. Are you certain it is really hose, or plastic or rubber covering over the actual copper tubing?

Most of the Airstream gas plumbing is run in copper tubing with flare fittings. Some have hose or plastic tubing over some of it to protect from rock damage...

Real old ones may have black iron pipe in parts of the system...

As a data point, my 2007 is all copper, with flare fittings, and the part of the exposed plumbing on the A-frame is painted black. It connects to the regulator with a hose assembly that connects about midway down the curbside A-frame with a flare fitting. I have NO protective cover on the plumbing under the belly pan.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:02 PM   #99
2 Rivet Member

Acton , Ontario
It's a gas hose with gas fittings at each end
sinfulpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:47 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Cool. I get to deal with nice hard to bend copper on mine...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote