Old 10-28-2018, 05:00 PM   #121
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Richmond , Virginia
Tough bolts

I'm in the process of installing this kit on my AS Sport 16, but the supplied bolts/nuts are incredibly tough to tighten with a hand ratchet wrench. The nuts appear to be lock nuts, but I just can't get them tightened, I still have approx 1/4" or 1/2" thread. Am I doing something wrong or should I consider getting new bolts/nuts?

VA Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:09 AM   #122
2 Rivet Member

Acton , Ontario
I used a breaker bar....a hand ratchet won't do it. It was a tough job and I skinned my knuckles on sharp aluminum. I used a pair of vice grips to hold the wrench on the other end as well and it slipped off all the time.

sinfulpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:13 PM   #123
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
They are indeed "lock" nuts with internal thread upsets to "set" them semi-permanently to avoid any vibrations from loosening them.
The BEST way to install them is with an air-impact wrench. Then it is an easy job done in a moment. (Sorry if you don't have one or can't talk a friend into coming over with his and his portable air compressor.)
Otherwise, you might consider buying a cheap electric 1/2" impact from Horrible Fright and at least you'll have a nice tool for changing tires later.
Be certain to use only the dark-steel "impact" sockets with any impact tool. You WILL ruin any ordinary socket with an impact wrench.

HOpe this helps.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:51 PM   #124
2 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Seattle , Washington
If I recall, Dexter recommends tightening the nuts to 150 ft/lbs. That's pretty darn tight and not something you're likely to achieve with a regular hand ratchet.
ChrisnPatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:42 PM   #125
3 Rivet Member

Wear safety glasses if you are usin an impact too. As others have mentioned, dark harbor freight or other impact socket. You could have a socket set and tool for less than 50$ at HF
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:28 PM   #126
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Hey y'all...
Got the lift kit installed on my new #11 dexter axle. (new axle for my Argosy, but got a lot of the info from this thread..)

Which means: I have a set to sell, $95 with shipping. (paint is a little banged up, which is how I disappointedly received them. But they're new, and worked like a dream)

Also, holy heck those nuts are hard to install. When my the nuts came loose off of the forty-one-year-old bolts, I thought to myself "sweet! This won't be bad, I'm almost done!" ...I had no idea. I also had no impact wrench.
MrSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:48 AM   #127
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
This thread inspired my last moment dealer install of the 3” lift before I picked up my new 22’ sport. The extra clearance is noticeable and welcomed.
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:20 PM   #128

Naples , Florida
I have a 2015 sport 22fb, I went under the trailer and found the product number and serial number of the axle. It didnt display if it was #10 or #11, its square rather than round and 3 inches on each side. When I emailed etrailer they said a lift wouldnt work, however I wanted to check here. Does a square 3inch by 3inch axle sound like a #11? Or do I have an axle that would not work with a lift?
ZacharyCox84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:06 PM   #129
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Zachary, if your sport 22fb has the original Dexter axle, a Dexter lift will absolutely work. The axle tube will be square. I have to think something got lost in translation between you and etrailer. Etrailer is generally a reliable source. As you can see from this extensive thread, many lifts have been installed on sport 22's covering many model years and many 1/2 kits sold here because of the single axle. I installed the kit on my trailer, but a 28' tandem. Don't give up. I think it's a nice addition.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:09 PM   #130
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
SANTA MARIA , California
Need lift

I'm looking for anyone that wants to sell the other half of their lift for my 16 Sport. Let me know, will pay $95 including shipping.

Thanks.
Golden Central Coast of California
pastorwug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:59 AM   #131
1 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
West Valley City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacharyCox84 View Post
I have a 2015 sport 22fb, I went under the trailer and found the product number and serial number of the axle. It didnt display if it was #10 or #11, its square rather than round and 3 inches on each side. When I emailed etrailer they said a lift wouldnt work, however I wanted to check here. Does a square 3inch by 3inch axle sound like a #11? Or do I have an axle that would not work with a lift?
I have a 2014. I couldn’t find the 10 or 11 either. At least not to my understanding of the labels on the axel. However, the label is very clear on the capacity, 4500#. According to the Dexter site a #10 capacity tops out at 4000#. A #12 runs something like 5500 -7000. The range for a #11 is 3600 -6000. Process of elimination would say this model trailer has a #11.
I looked because my dealer was nice enough to split a #10 kit and just sell me half. But since reading this forum I just knew that wasn’t correct. So I took it back. We compared the larger kit and the smaller kit. They are pretty much identical. Perhaps if you took a micrometer to them the steel for the larger kits are possibly thicker.
NOTE: When we all split these kits you need 8 bolts and 8 nuts. BUT 12 washers. The installation instructions have two washers per bolt for those bolts that install vertically.
Rhuffer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:35 PM   #132
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhuffer2 View Post
I have a 2014. I couldn’t find the 10 or 11 either. At least not to my understanding of the labels on the axel. However, the label is very clear on the capacity, 4500#. According to the Dexter site a #10 capacity tops out at 4000#. A #12 runs something like 5500 -7000. The range for a #11 is 3600 -6000. Process of elimination would say this model trailer has a #11.
I looked because my dealer was nice enough to split a #10 kit and just sell me half. But since reading this forum I just knew that wasn’t correct. So I took it back. We compared the larger kit and the smaller kit. They are pretty much identical. Perhaps if you took a micrometer to them the steel for the larger kits are possibly thicker.
NOTE: When we all split these kits you need 8 bolts and 8 nuts. BUT 12 washers. The installation instructions have two washers per bolt for those bolts that install vertically.
I called Dexter and gave them my axle number and they told me which kit I needed.

Curious if the dealer you referenced is the SLC group and if it is, if you will have them do the install. I am thinking of using them to do the install on our 23FB.

thanks,
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:39 PM   #133
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
SANTA MARIA , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorwug View Post
I'm looking for anyone that wants to sell the other half of their lift for my 16 Sport. Let me know, will pay $95 including shipping.

Thanks.
Thank you Tom for helping me out, Paypal on it's way!
Blessings!
Golden Central Coast of California
pastorwug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:42 AM   #134
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygood View Post
This thread inspired my last moment dealer install of the 3” lift before I picked up my new 22’ sport. The extra clearance is noticeable and welcomed.
I pick up a new Sport 22 FB on March 1st. I had read elsewhere that Airstream Dealers will not install a lift kit. If your dealer installed one, I guess that information is not true. I guess one other concern I'd have is whether installation of the lift kit would be considered cause for Airstream to void the warranty.

I look forward to your response.

Thanks,

Paul
paul10r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:16 PM   #135
2 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Seattle , Washington
Apparently some dealers will install the lift and some will not. Mine would not. Check with your dealer. Regarding warranty, I should think it should not effect the warranty for any component of your rig other than the suspension. Regarding that, if you bottom out and damage something on your rig, Airstream will not cover damage caused by the owner. The unadultered rig rides so low that damage is highly likely, if not irritating to continuously try to avoid, that I'd much rather use the lift (which I have) than worry about voiding a relatively brief warranty. My opinion only!
ChrisnPatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:09 AM   #136
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
San Antonio , Texas
Lift Kit for Sport 22FB Potential Breach of Warranty

ChrisnPatty - thanks for responding to my post.

I contacted my dealer and they will not install a lift kit, citing that they are aware of this procedure, but were concerned about liability and potential warranty implications.

I reviewed the 2019 Sport 22FB owner’s manual, section 3, where warranty information is discussed. I am not sure they’d actually claim a breach of warranty for installing a lift kit, but they certainly have the necessary gotchas in their warranty language if they want to void the warranty.

Specifically, they say in the section titled “Events That Discharge Airstream’s Obligations Under This Limited Warranty” - Misuse or neglect, accidents, unauthorized alteration.... shall discharge Airstream from any express or implied warranty obligation to repair any resulting defect.

Under the section titled “Limitation Of Implied Warranties” - There is no warranty of any nature made by Airstream beyond that contained in this limited warranty. No person has authority to enlarge, amend or modify this limited warranty. The dealer is not airstream’s agent. Airstream is not responsible for any undertaking, representation or warranty made by any dealer or others beyond those expressly set forth within this limited warranty.

All that being said, I will probably initiate direct contact with authorized agents of the Airstream manufacturer in Ohio and see if they will provide written authorization for me to have a lift kit installed.

If they will not provide written authorization, I will likely chance it and find a dealer that will install the lift kit because, like you, it makes no sense to incur real or potential undercarriage damage when there is a safe and efficient means to prevent it. Until I can get this done, I will try to exercise as much caution as possible to try and prevent damage.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:02 PM   #137

Naples , Florida
Evening everyone - I have the other half of the Dexter #11 axle 3 inch lift kit. $90 + shipping or if you're in the Dallas / Ft. Worth area we can meet up. For stats, when lifted - the lower point on my wheel well went from 24.5 inches to 27.5 inches and will probably settle a little lower than that.
ZacharyCox84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:06 PM   #138
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
we did the lift kit last year and sold the other half

it is highly recommended.
we no longer bottom out the rear on steep roads or driveways
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:22 PM   #139
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
San Antonio , Texas
Lift Kit for Sport 22FB

I contacted the factory and was able to secure, is writing, a response that installing the lift kit would not breach the warranty.

Full speed ahead.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:18 PM   #140

San Gabriel , California
lift kits

Our shops at Airstream Los Angeles and Airstream Las Vegas get this complaint quite often from our customers. We offer the lift kit listed below as an aftermarket upgrade in the Service Department. We charge $650 for the single axle kit installed and $999 for the duel axle kit installed.

The lift gives the trailers just enough extra clearance to get in and out of most driveways without dragging the rear end.

Call if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Jason Skinner
Service and Parts Director
Airstream Los Angeles
Airstream Las Vegas

jasonskinner is offline   Reply With Quote