Old 05-23-2018, 09:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
LG TV with JVC mobile DVD receiver

Having been a home integrator most my life I am stunned by the fact the the 22" LG TV (720p), which rightly has an HDMI input, is apparently connected to the JVC mobile DVD receiver that has only a composite video (480i) output.

Airstream must of used a simple converter cable right? Is it buried in the wall or behind the JVC where we can remove it and upgrade the DVD receiver? We basically have a $100 TV mated with a $100 media player BFD!

I would like to base a small Mac Mini w/an air mouse up in that cabinet too, probably add a 4k TV/Monitor in the sleeping section and upgrade the LG to a TV that would synch up correctly on a simple parallel HDMI splitter.

I think I read somewhere here in the forum that someone else was mystified where the other end of the HDMI cable is/went.

keweenawbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Thanks for all the input. Getting rid of the junk TV, DIN DVD/receiver and analog thermostat. Going with (2) 27" 4K LG monitors both with Chief Kontour mounts - one wall and one pole (for the bedroom). Ironically the old power supply was plug and play! They will both have to stow away in portrait position for space in the kitchen & the view in the bedroom. Going with a very compact and slim Pioneer net receiver (110v) and an Atmos 3.1.2 speaker array (bdrm). Also that digital heat only Honeywell thermostat was a no brainer 10 minute install. Oh I forgot the Apple TV 4K little black box and flat pack HDMI 4x2 matrix switcher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180620_193116827_BURST001.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	314666   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180620_201009_261.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	314667  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180620_201009_258.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	314668  

Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by keweenawbee View Post
Having been a home integrator most my life I am stunned by the fact the the 22" LG TV (720p), which rightly has an HDMI input, is apparently connected to the JVC mobile DVD receiver that has only a composite video (480i) output.

Airstream must of used a simple converter cable right? Is it buried in the wall or behind the JVC where we can remove it and upgrade the DVD receiver? We basically have a $100 TV mated with a $100 media player BFD!

I would like to base a small Mac Mini w/an air mouse up in that cabinet too, probably add a 4k TV/Monitor in the sleeping section and upgrade the LG to a TV that would synch up correctly on a simple parallel HDMI splitter.

I think I read somewhere here in the forum that someone else was mystified where the other end of the HDMI cable is/went.
I need to answer my own question here and it’s good news. The cable from the back of the tv is HDMI all the way. Behind the JVC unit it plugs into a USB powered active converter that accepts the SD composite video and analog audio from the JVC outputs.(the audio will travel both directions apparently which is cool when ithe TV is receiving local broadcasts)

Remove that active converter (I did) and you have a HDMI cable to use for whatever, which BTW carries digital audio signals if you had a head end unit that could handle them (jeez!).