Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2016, 05:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
San Diego and Julian , California
Kick the Tires?

Hello to all Bambi owners. My name is Sandy and my husband and I are within a few weeks of purchasing our first trailer and we are thrilled with a choice of a Bambi 16. We will buy new. So here is my wondering for all of you with so much experience. After reading Jcole's problems with his door, it seems I should check to see that the door is closing properly before I roll the trailer off the lot. What else should I inspect? I would be happy to compile a list, using your expertise, and post it for my benefit and for all, as well.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:04 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Savoy , Texas
Door close

We have a 2015 Bambi 22fb. Our door was real stiff to close when we first got it. It is getting easier. There are no rub marks around the fram of the door. I think the seal is getting softer with use.
SpinWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:26 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

First welcome to airstreamers anonymous. Lol. We bought a NEW 16 sport this time last year. We have a 2015. We have four great trips under our belts so far. We are loving the air stream. But there were a few probs. I also read about the doors and sure enough we wake the neighbors every time we close it. I'm not sure if I want the dealer to mess with it or thinking about making a trip back to the factory this year so they can do it. They let you stay at the factory so I've heard. And the factory tour is supposed to be interesting. Well, anyway, on our first trip out we discovered the ceramic toilet had a crack in it. With the seat down we did not see it when picking it up. Also, the cap to the electric plug on the street side doesn't light when connected. This was known by the dealer and they said it's a big job to fix..... Not happy about that. (Another thing I want the factory to look into). I would check for counter top dings and that all electric appliances work. The AC has to be checked there cuz once your home it can't run on your house power for some reason. Guys might know why.
Good luck with the trailer. We really love our 16. Easy to tow. Easy to fit into nice private campsites the big ones can't fit into. We bought some cool stuff to upgrade it a bit. I can fill you in if you want some ideas.
Nancie
Big Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:32 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Hi Nancie,

Nice to meet you and thank you for all your thoughts. I will add your experiences to the list of things to check on before we head off the sales lot.
So, you mentioned you got some goodies for your Bambi. I would love to hear more.

Sandy
SanAndVin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:26 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAndVin View Post
Hi Nancie,

Nice to meet you and thank you for all your thoughts. I will add your experiences to the list of things to check on before we head off the sales lot.

So, you mentioned you got some goodies for your Bambi. I would love to hear more.

Sandy

Hey Sandy
The storage is a bit sparse in the 16. So to figure out what worked for us , we took her out on a maiden voyage and got sense of what we needed. Here are some pics of some things we bought to fill every possible space. Lol
If you have ques just ask. Oh! Also TIm fixed up my closet and I love it. Check out the closet pics on a diff post. It s in the knowledge section under Bambi Hope you can find it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1461972104.160534.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	261539Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1461972121.201365.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	261540Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1461972143.111906.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	261541Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1461972171.276634.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	261542Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1461972189.387536.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	261543Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1461972203.878776.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	261544
Some things are just junky plastic baskets and others are just junky tubs for clothes but they make my life easier and we actually put a lot of thought into all of them.
Hope this gives you some useful ideas.
Nancie
Old 04-29-2016, 06:42 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Oh Sandy you will learn as you read through all the great threads on this site that there are upgrades many people do to their trailers either through the dealer or by doing the work yourselves.
Tim and I did the following upgrades:
1.We put in a FantasticFan cover. This is a must. It covers the main fan so you can leave the fan open and even working in all sorts of weather. We bought this in line. We watched a video on how to install it and we did it ourselves. Lol
2. We bought LCD bulbs and replaces all the reg bulbs in the trailer. The bulbs that come from the factory are terrible. They are hot and draw too much from the battery. This is a must. We bought them online.
3. Tim replaced the trailer leg by the hitch with a motorized one. We bought it online from COSTCO!!
4. Our newest project was to add two batteries to the trailer rather than the one that comes with the trailer. Our 2015 Bambi sat on the lot for almost a hole year so we think the battery was too old. So we bought two 12 volt batteries and two new battery boxes. Tim had to cut one of the boxes just a bit in one corner so they would both fit next to each other on the trailer frame. I LOVE the two batteries!! Our last trip was two weeks ago to Nashville and Memphis and the great smoky mt. And the batteries latest great. I'm so happy. I feel it was a great improvement. Tim says 6 volt batteries would have been even better and would last a lot longer but we couldn't fit them. I love what we got.
5. Last but not least. Lol google Drydek. Four squares of the stuff make a great mat for outside the door. When we pack up I sweep or shake it out and it fits right inside the door until we stop again (The air stream mat that comes with the trailer I keep right inside the door) so it works good, first wipe feet on the plastic Drydek and then step in into the airstream mat.
Happy camping AND shopping.
Nancie
Old 04-29-2016, 07:09 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
We have a '15 we bought new last May. We have towed it roundtrip from Ohio to Florida and on a number of weekenders. The only two minor problems experienced are a screen door which will not latch (we have been using a bungee) and last weekend, the battery started boiling and putting out sulfur fumes. We are returning the battery to the dealer tomorrow for replacement as they think it is internally shorted. As to improvements we switched to LED bulbs inside and are using a sewer solution instead of the slinky (which is a messy pain to get in and out of its underside storage tube). We do carry a slinky for backup but keep it in a sealed storage container in the tow vehicle. Our door requires a mild slam but no more than other Airstreams demonstrated on Youtube.

Overall we like the 16' but like many are considering moving up -- in our case to a 25' twin. The reasons are the wet bath, which is tight for a big guy like me. Also, the larger units have an accessible rear bumper to store the slinky and the stabilizer jacks don't require crawling on the ground to insert the jack handle. The bed in the 16' is really tight for two so I sleep on the dinette. With a 2" memory foam pad it is comfortable but a pain to make up.

Positives for the 16' are ease and efficiency in towing (we tow with a 6 cylinder Honda Pilot and don't have to fool around with a WD hitch). It also has a "cute" factor which draws a crowd and is easy to fuel and park.
*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:02 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Hello Remphoto,

Thank you for your thoughts. I had no idea what a Sewer Solution was so I just found it on Camping World (CW). CW has a nice description and a step-by-video on how it works. Pretty impressive. My question is wondering if you have experienced any problems at dump stations using the 1 inch hose? Also, the kit comes with a 10' dump hose and the host of the video suggests buying an extension. Have you ever needed the extension?
Cool ideas

Sandy
Old 04-30-2016, 07:43 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAndVin View Post
Hello Remphoto,

Thank you for your thoughts. I had no idea what a Sewer Solution was so I just found it on Camping World (CW). CW has a nice description and a step-by-video on how it works. Pretty impressive. My question is wondering if you have experienced any problems at dump stations using the 1 inch hose? Also, the kit comes with a 10' dump hose and the host of the video suggests buying an extension. Have you ever needed the extension?
Cool ideas

Sandy
I haven't used the SS at dump stations because it takes so long and backs up the line. That said, I rarely use a dump station as we prefer full hook up campsites, where it can be used. Also we have a sewer cleanout fitting in our yard at home and can use it there to do a good backflush and cleanout. On a low trailer like the '16 the SS has the advantage of being able to pump the waste uphill. Many campgrounds have the dump drain higher than the trailer waste tank and the slinky does not work well, but the SS does. We did buy the extra 10' and would recommend doing so. One of the moderators and frequent posters on this site, Moosetracks, has used a SS for years and hundreds of nights camping and that's where we learned about it.
*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Air View Post
.... The AC has to be checked there cuz once your home it can't run on your house power for some reason. Guys might know why. ...
There is no reason your 30A service (shore-power) cable can't be used at your home. You should simply have an electrician install a 30A outlet for you using a 30A RV receptacle...or if you are a handy-man type, install one yourself. You'll need 10ga wire and a 30A C.B. in your C.B. box...and the RV 30A receptacle.

If you understand that the electric clothes\-dryer outlet is a 30A circuit (240 volt) you can also open up that outlet and tie into one side of it, which will give you 120 volts. (Three color-coded wires are in that outlet, a white (neutral) a black (hot) and a red (hot). The voltage between the black and red is 240 volts. The voltage between the black OR the red and that white wires is 120 volts,....so, using 10 ga or larger wire, connect your 30A receptacle/outlet you bought at HomeDespot to either the red/white or the black/white pair and you're good to go. You won't even need another circuit-breaker because your elect.-dryer is already so protected.

YOu will also likely find a green (ground) wire inside that dryer outlet. Connect your ground from your RV receptacle outlet to that.

You will not want to run the RV simultaneously with your clothes-dryer, but otherwise this set-up will be all you need. (Obviously however, a dedicated 30A circuit is a more professional solution, but the clothes dryer method is safe and fine for the handy-man who doesn't wish to run an entirely separate circuit.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 01:39 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Hey Everyone,

Thank you to everyone who contributed an idea for my question about what to inspect before a Bambi rolls off the lot. Here is what we collected:
1. Check for misaligned main door, and screen door latch
2. Check for cracks in the ceramic toilet bowl
3. Check that the cap for the electric plug lights up when connected (outside)
4. Inspect counter top for dings
5. Inspect that all electric appliances work
6. Check the AC, and the heater
7. Check the date on the Interstate battery for age.

I hope this list helps as it will us.

Sandy