Old 02-21-2016, 01:25 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Key not able to open front outside storage. What are my options?

Hi all,
Yesterday we were doing some minor things at the trailer. Went to take on a little drive.

Got back to the storage place, and found that the front storage compartment, which we locked with the key, would not unlock.

In fact, one key broke off in the chamber of the lock. Luckily we were able to get it out in 1 piece and do have other keys.

Tried WD40 and no luck we can't get the key to turn the lock.

So asking what are my options now?

We have a 22 sport.

Thank you for any and all suggestions.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Try pressing in on the storage compartment door near the lockset, when you turn the lock. Very often that will release the pressure on the tang which holds the door shut and it will easily release. When you get it open, a tiny amount of lubricant on the inside surface of the tang may help it from happening again.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Just want to post a follow up for others who may find themselves in this situation.

Long story short. Tried suggestion above. Tried penetrating oil, silicon lubricant. Still would not turn.

Ended up taking the rig to a locksmith who after about 30 minutes got the lock to open. His opinion was that the lock was fine but the keys were cheap. He made some double sided keys and did not feel the need to change out the lock.

Time will tell I guess. But even though this was an inconvenience, it ended up not requiring drilling out or changing out the lock. And expense was minimal.

Piggy Bank
Old 03-05-2016, 02:06 AM   #4

The key to difficult locks is to squeeze some graphite into the lock. I always keep some in my trailer and truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 04-16-2016, 08:23 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Savoy , Texas
Could not unlock

We had same problem with outside storage lock. We were camping in Davis Mountain SP. I could not turn the lock cyclinder. We had factory key and extra key we had made. I ended up having to raise mattress and plywood to get into compartment. Put a bungee cord on the door for the rest of trip. Boy what a job. what a job. I called the dealer parts dept and they sent a new lock/latch. The factory key would not unlock/lock the newer lock. The key we had made would lock but not unlock. So I took the newer latch to a locksmith to have keys made. They work! I had sprayed both latches with lots of graphite to help smooth the mechanism. My opinion is its a low quality latch mechanism.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Spin,
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Do you mind my asking how long it took to remove the platform under the bed to get to the locker? I want to have a "estimate" just in case this happens again.

When my husband had the trailer at the locksmith, the locksmith felt that it was the poor/cheap design of the key that caused the problem. Because it "fits" in the lock in either direction, but was only cut to turn the lock if it is in the lock one direction. So when the locksmith made a new key, he made one that is cut so that no matter which way it is inserted into the lock, it is the right way and the lock should turn.

Time will tell I guess.

Piggy Bank
Old 04-16-2016, 11:15 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I had a similar issue recently. The key would not turn completely in the lock on the front left storage compartment. I could feel the key start to turn, but then stop. I messes with it a while while pushing on the storage door. I finally got it open and found that the inside latch had become fouled by an extension cord that had hooked onto the latch during travel. The lock itself was just fine.

I am now more careful placing loose cords in the storage compartment.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:12 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Savoy , Texas
Time spent approx

15 minutes. Remove mattress, remove screws on plywood, now remove plywood, remove latch, turn latch arm over to open door then hooked bungee cord to arm and find something to connect other end of bungee to. Reassemble bed. I am getting faster.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:59 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Yes, cheap lock, I was using my key for the potable water door for awhile, it worked a bit tight, but it worked. I had an issue of opening the storage door because it seemed to be hung up on the top of the frame. After much prying and coaxing, I finally got it opened and found that there were pebbles laying in the bottom frame from a door mat that I had put in the compartment which pushed the door up into the top frame. I am now very careful about keeping the bottom door frame free of debris before closing the door.