Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2013, 05:17 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
Just got ours.....(pics)

Just picked up our new 16 Sport this past weekend. Really happy with it so far. Looking to make the following changes:
  • Install rock-guards
  • Move propane tanks back to make room for truck tailgate (need to be able to drive with the gate down when we haul our motorcycles in the back)
  • Add additional battery
  • Aluminum propane cover
  • Would REALLY like to have the window installed on the door. Any advice on that would be greatly appreciated.
  • Upgrade fan to electric/reversible fan
  • Add Bumper (Advice on this too would be great)

I'm sure I'll have plenty of other questions soon, but for now, here are a few pictures:

Motorcycle hauling mode:
GP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:25 AM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Lovely looking new trailer, and some fabulous photos too! We look forward to seeing more from you.

ps: now you can update your profile with your new trailer info
Old 07-07-2013, 05:28 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Lovely looking new trailer, and some fabulous photos too! We look forward to seeing more from you.

ps: now you can update your profile with your new trailer info
Thanks Aage. Was actually just doing that when your message came thru.

Oh and I can assure you there is never of photos with us
Old 07-07-2013, 05:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
The wait is over for you!!! I have 3.5 months

Enjoy and keep pics coming.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:51 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
Nice rig!
daymonjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
You can't haul those 2 crotch rockets and pull the trailer at the same time can ya? You probably could, however, haul 1 crotch rocket turned diagonally across the truck bed.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post

Mr. Brown Ram Man is countin' 'em down!
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
You can't haul those 2 crotch rockets and pull the trailer at the same time can ya? You probably could, however, haul 1 crotch rocket turned diagonally across the truck bed.
Should be able to with a few changes. The first one will be relocating the propane tanks (moving them closer to the actual TT). That and a longer ball-mount should do it.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:59 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post

On order I'm guessing? If so, was it because there were none available in your area?
Old 07-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
Hit the road again this past weekend with the AS. Other than the wife and I being REALLY happy with it, here are some more impressions:

Towing: Super easy to tow and believe it or not, I was getting a little over 13 mpg in the Raptor while doing so.

Power: It was cool where we were so no AC needed. We ran the generator for a bit each day to charge up the battery and did fine with that. We also swapped out all the bulbs inside for LED bulbs and that of course makes a HUGE difference. Incredible that you can run 10 of those lights and use the same power as ONE incandescent bulb.

Water: We were dry-camping (actually, in 5 days in it we have yet to hook up to power or sewer). Water isn't an issue. I have 3, 7-gallon water containers that I bring along in the back of the truck and ended up using only 1 of those (we were out there for 3 nights)

Grey Tank: This is the only place where we will be making a few changes. Water would be simple enough for us to get (as mentioned above). Even if I had to run down the road to fill the containers, that would be fairly simple. The issue would be the grey/black tank filling up quick. Two things I think will help:
1 - We bought a mini dishpan that Camco makes to put in the sink. No sense in having the water we use to wash our hands and brush our teeth go in the tank if we want to save the space. We can run that into the dishpan and toss it out.
2 - This one will take some modification, but if we could install a switch-valve of sorts to the drain pipe under the AS and hook up a hose to it, you could literally run that water out into the bushes. Would be no different than taking a shower outside. This would free up a lot of room as well.

Smell??: One thing we worried about with the combined grey/black tank was potential smell/odor. So far, no problem. One thing I did notice was the water that sits in the traps sitting does tend to smell a bit when stored, it's a good idea to put a bit of bleach in there. I know bleach is bad for rubber seals, but it seems that area is free of any rubber and therefor not at risk. You could even throw some mouthwash in there and I'm sure that would work too.

Bal-leveler: This thing is fantastic. Easy to use and does what it's supposed to do. Honestly, I'd probably pay double for this thing.

Anyway, here are a few pictures from the weekend:

Old 07-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Gotta ask... Where were these photos taken? Please include details on campground locations. --Thanks!
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
GP - Congrats and it looks like you have been testing on Highway 1 south of Monterey.. Not sure how to answer window-in-door question, though I suspect Toscano's in Los Banos would do it for a fee.. I am sure Airstream shop at factory would be happy to cut in a window...

If you haven't attacked propane tanks yet, you should know you can by extender tubes to move entire trailer back up to 14" or 18", with load ratings up to 3,500#.. I've talked to several people using them (often with pickup campers and trailers..) and they claim they work great.. Your trailer should be light enough to work with one of these.. See Hitch Accessories - Reese

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Gotta ask... Where were these photos taken? Please include details on campground locations. --Thanks!
Along HWY1, south of Monterey. No actual campsites, just some turnouts along the way.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Are you headed to Red Bull GP at Laguna Seca? Their campground is terrific if you can still find a space.. If not, there is another in Carmel Valley, and a cute little RV Camping area in City of Monterey near Veteran's Park off Hwy 68 between Pebble Beach and Pacific Grove.. Be very wary of CHP radar traps just west of Castroville on Highway 156 near merger with Hwy 1 coming from Santa Cruz.. We've watched 6 or 8 bikes at a time getting ticketed on GP weekend...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #15
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Wow! Beautiful pictures !

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
That rig is cute as a bug. Don't know if it is applicable to your situation, but on my Ford F 150, the tailgate pops off very easy and might give you the required clearance instead of just leaving it down.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum View Post
GP - Congrats and it looks like you have been testing on Highway 1 south of Monterey.. Not sure how to answer window-in-door question, though I suspect Toscano's in Los Banos would do it for a fee.. I am sure Airstream shop at factory would be happy to cut in a window...

If you haven't attacked propane tanks yet, you should know you can by extender tubes to move entire trailer back up to 14" or 18", with load ratings up to 3,500#.. I've talked to several people using them (often with pickup campers and trailers..) and they claim they work great.. Your trailer should be light enough to work with one of these.. See Hitch Accessories - Reese

I've actually since inquired about the window and was told that it might be easier and perhaps more cost effective to replace the door with one that already has a window. Presumably one from the bambi intl. We'll see what the cost actually is.

Thanks for the link. I've seen those and have heard that a longer ball mounts would be better than an actual hitch extender. I think between that and the relocating the tanks I should have sufficient clearance.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum View Post
Are you headed to Red Bull GP at Laguna Seca? Their campground is terrific if you can still find a space.. If not, there is another in Carmel Valley, and a cute little RV Camping area in City of Monterey near Veteran's Park off Hwy 68 between Pebble Beach and Pacific Grove.. Be very wary of CHP radar traps just west of Castroville on Highway 156 near merger with Hwy 1 coming from Santa Cruz.. We've watched 6 or 8 bikes at a time getting ticketed on GP weekend...
We talked about it but man those races, not to mention the entire area, gets so packed!! We might plan something for next year. You going?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari-Rick View Post
Wow! Beautiful pictures !
Thanks. I'll keep posting as we go along if people are interested.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedwid View Post
That rig is cute as a bug. Don't know if it is applicable to your situation, but on my Ford F 150, the tailgate pops off very easy and might give you the required clearance instead of just leaving it down.
Definitely considered it but the issue is the bikes themselves. We use condor wheel chalks up front and even though those don't take up too much room in front of the tire, it's enough to put the rear wheel right at the end of the truck bed. In other words, half the tire would be hanging over the back.