Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2013, 11:14 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1152 View Post
Just picked up our new 16 Sport this past weekend. Really happy with it so far. Looking to make the following changes:
  • Install rock-guards
  • Move propane tanks back to make room for truck tailgate (need to be able to drive with the gate down when we haul our motorcycles in the back)
  • Add additional battery
  • Aluminum propane cover
  • Would REALLY like to have the window installed on the door. Any advice on that would be greatly appreciated.
  • Upgrade fan to electric/reversible fan
  • Add Bumper (Advice on this too would be great)
I'm sure I'll have plenty of other questions soon, but for now, here are a few pictures:

Motorcycle hauling mode:
Hi,

Rock guards or segment protectors. Yes.

Move propane tanks back. Might be easy enough.

Add another battery. Good idea.

Aluminum propane cover. Much nicer than the plastic one.

Window in the door. Not necessary; I block mine, at times, in hot weather. Maybe find someone who doesn't want a window in their door and see if you can make a door trade.

Upgrade to reversible fan. [vent] I did mine. Fairly easy to do.

Add rear bumper. Highly recommended, but I haven't heard or seen one done yet. You may be the first.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:

On order I'm guessing? If so, was it because there were none available in your area?
Pretty much

You all look to be having great fun already. Great photos! Good luck.

I'll be waiting and waiting now

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:37 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Not going to Red Bull GP this year.. Traffic trying to get home is so awful on Hwy 1/101 that traveling by car becomes 4 hour slog.. Laguna Seca County Campground at track is wide open most weekends except for major race weekends, and there is almost always some track activity every single weekend of the year.. We've stumbled upon free vintage races or SCCA regionals or even Porsche Club using the track, and no admission charges to sit and watch...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Re running greywater into the bushes - I don't have much of a problem with that for as long as people are being responsible about it and use minimal and biodegradable soaps. When we went tent camping I met people who used to filter their waste water through the charcoal from last night's campfire, mixed with sand for a natural filtration system.

I am not familiar with US law, but up here in Canada, should you get caught doing this on public land, the fines can be substantial and can even include a clean up bill. Even on private land the best you can hope for is "don't ask, don't tell".
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
I'm curious, can you actually leave the tailgate down when towing the trailer ? Are you sure the ends of the tailgate will not touch the camper in a tight turn ?
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
As GP noted, if tailgate is down, then trailer needs to be moved back by extended tow bar or hitch extender, or else propane tanks need to be relocated to provide clearance between tailgate and trailer parts.. Since his motorcycles are longer than the truck bed, he has no option but to let rear tires ride on tailgate, and add extra clearance between trailer and truck...

I've seen a number of older Airstreams with shorter front A frames where there were dents in both lower front corners of trailer from hitting bumper of car when trailer began to fishtail behind car with large heavy chrome bumpers.. (Think 1958 Buick or 1965 Ford Country Squire..)

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Old 07-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Yes, my sportbike too needs to sit slightly on the tailgate. My solution is going to in fact be to take the tailgate off, and I am going to temporary bolt a piece of 5 inch wide channel to the floor of the truck bed ( in my case I have utili-track channels in the bed that I can use as attach points, so I will not have to drill any holes ). I'll make the channel just long enough past the end of the bed ( just a few inches ) to cradle the tire.
I just didn't wanna see him ding the corners of his beautiful trailer with the tailgate !!!
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
some thoughts

I have last years model of your AS and love it. One comment re your upgrades. Be careful about how much weight you are adding. You will reach the 3500 limit before you know it.

One tip on the sink. I discovered recently while dry camping that the sink is insulated underneath! If you do a couple dishes and don't want to dump the hot dishwater because you might have more to do soon, just put the plastic cover/cutting board back on and something over the thumb hole. The water will stay hot for quite awhile. Since we only have about 20 gallons, it helps. I put hot soapy water at a very low level in the sink then run hot water for rinse into the sink and cover it right away. That way I don't have to save up a big pile of dirty dishes just to save water. That tank empties pretty quickly, as I am sure you have found out.

On the other hand your idea about running the gray water from the sink to outside is interesting. But I am finding that the smell issue eventually comes up in such a small trailer tank. I flush it out thoroughly and use tank deodorizer liberally, but I find that it is easier to control if you have more water in the gray/black tank to help break down the black waste. I was emptying it too often and not letting enough gray water get in there when I had hook ups. Dilution helps.

Also, when you run out of fresh water and it all goes into the tank, you know you are within a gallon or 2 of having a full tank and need to dump soon. DO NOT RELY ON YOUR MONITOR. Already had mine repaired under warranty and I find the readings are inconsistent. Sometimes accurate, sometimes not even close.

Enjoy your new adventure
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post

Aluminum propane cover. Much nicer than the plastic one.

Window in the door. Not necessary; I block mine, at times, in hot weather. Maybe find someone who doesn't want a window in their door and see if you can make a door trade.

Add rear bumper. Highly recommended, but I haven't heard or seen one done yet. You may be the first.
The dealer got back to me today on a few of these things. Says the LP tank cover is $700+!! Anyone know if that seems correct??

I want the window more for light and it would be nice to know what it who is in front of the door when you're opening it. Would be great if someone would swap.

They said that as far as the rear bumper goes they'd have to make brackets to mount the bumper to the frame. Honestly, this I'm pretty sure is something we'll do no matter what. Just seems like a good thing to have.
GP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum View Post
Not going to Red Bull GP this year.. Traffic trying to get home is so awful on Hwy 1/101 that traveling by car becomes 4 hour slog.. Laguna Seca County Campground at track is wide open most weekends except for major race weekends, and there is almost always some track activity every single weekend of the year.. We've stumbled upon free vintage races or SCCA regionals or even Porsche Club using the track, and no admission charges to sit and watch...
I hear 'ya about the traffic. Luckily we usually head out in our outings mostly during the week (both out schedules allow for it). I try and stay away from HWY1 on weekends. North of the Bay by point reyes isn't so bad.

Good tip about Laguna seca. Was there with a friend for a Porsche event last year. Never seen so many Porsche's in my life. Definitely a reality check for the guy that owns a GT3 and gets there and sees every other car is just like his.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
The dealer got back to me today on a few of these things. Says the LP tank cover is $700+!! Anyone know if that seems correct??

I want the window more for light and it would be nice to know what it who is in front of the door when you're opening it. Would be great if someone would swap.

They said that as far as the rear bumper goes they'd have to make brackets to mount the bumper to the frame. Honestly, this I'm pretty sure is something we'll do no matter what. Just seems like a good thing to have.
Hi, I think that is about what they want for the propane cover; Quite expensive. My door has a fogged window and you cannot see in or out of it. Maybe some are clear????? I would want the rear bumper for sure.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:22 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
Re running greywater into the bushes - I don't have much of a problem with that for as long as people are being responsible about it and use minimal and biodegradable soaps. When we went tent camping I met people who used to filter their waste water through the charcoal from last night's campfire, mixed with sand for a natural filtration system.

I am not familiar with US law, but up here in Canada, should you get caught doing this on public land, the fines can be substantial and can even include a clean up bill. Even on private land the best you can hope for is "don't ask, don't tell".
Thanks for the feedback andreasduess. I care about the environment as much as the next guy, but the minimal amount of water we'd be draining I really don't think would be an issue. And I certainly don't mind putting a filter at the end of the hose. That would be easy enough.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Newport , Rhode Island
Howdy, I pick up my 2010 16 sport next month from colonial. I upgraded the battery to a 32, and switched the propane tanks to aluminium #20 . The white tanks don't last long here in Rhode Island. I may just use the plastic cover for winter storage. Can't wait to get out on the road.
eliset123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
I have last years model of your AS and love it. One comment re your upgrades. Be careful about how much weight you are adding. You will reach the 3500 limit before you know it.

One tip on the sink. I discovered recently while dry camping that the sink is insulated underneath! If you do a couple dishes and don't want to dump the hot dishwater because you might have more to do soon, just put the plastic cover/cutting board back on and something over the thumb hole. The water will stay hot for quite awhile. Since we only have about 20 gallons, it helps. I put hot soapy water at a very low level in the sink then run hot water for rinse into the sink and cover it right away. That way I don't have to save up a big pile of dirty dishes just to save water. That tank empties pretty quickly, as I am sure you have found out.

On the other hand your idea about running the gray water from the sink to outside is interesting. But I am finding that the smell issue eventually comes up in such a small trailer tank. I flush it out thoroughly and use tank deodorizer liberally, but I find that it is easier to control if you have more water in the gray/black tank to help break down the black waste. I was emptying it too often and not letting enough gray water get in there when I had hook ups. Dilution helps.

Also, when you run out of fresh water and it all goes into the tank, you know you are within a gallon or 2 of having a full tank and need to dump soon. DO NOT RELY ON YOUR MONITOR. Already had mine repaired under warranty and I find the readings are inconsistent. Sometimes accurate, sometimes not even close.

Enjoy your new adventure
Weight: Thanks for the head's up on the weight. I hadn't been giving that much thought after we bought it. We don't carry too much crap in there and most of the heavy stuff (generators, water, etc) goes in the truck bed. BUT, the wife doesn't always believe in not carrying too much so I took inventory this weekend and I think we're ok.

Sink: Because I carry those three 7-gallon containers I always set one of them up outside on a rock, table or the truck bed. Aside from the fact that the sink is pretty small, It's nice to be able to wash your hands and/or dishes outside. Here's how we had it set up a few weeks ago:

Grey water: I agree about diluting the tank down. Makes for a nice flush. Guess it's just a matter of balancing out how much time you'll have before you get a chance to get to a dump station. I'm also with you on the tank deodorizer. I put on of the little blue pouches and also some of the liquid solution we have. I'd rather spend a bit of money and have a nice clean tank.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:00 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
A few pictures from this weekend. We were in the same campground from a few weeks back. These pictures are at an overlook off HWY-1, near Jenner, CA. As you can tell.....I'm pretty happy with our setup so far.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
Almost forgot.....my wife's creation/solution for tying up the curtains:

Old 07-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #37
TRC
1 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Awesome little Rig, your going to love it! That first picture, is it Jenner? The north coast has some killer spots.
TRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Looks like a pant leg protector from a bicycle shop.. Great idea..

Side shot makes me wonder how moving propane tank will resolve open-tailgate towing issue, given jackstand still sticking up in front of tanks.. I know there are some pretty rugged hitch extension schemes and for trailer that small they should be able to work... I'd keep searching internet and talking to hitch shops to see if you can avoid surgery on trailer...

Robert makes good point about newer door windows being frosted glass, which makes seeing who is outside a challenge.. Our older door is clear glass, but has annoying roll-up window shade between door and screen door.. Small peep-hole device could give you vision outside, but wouldn't address desire for more light..

Old 07-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Most states do not allow you to drain grey water onto the ground. Be careful about that one.
Beautiful trailer and pics!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Love the Truck,and of course the trailer.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote