Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2013, 12:53 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
The gray water thing is a balance between risk of violation and environment.. One option if you have room in bed of truck is "Blue Boy" tank (large flat light blue plastic tanks on wheels - see: Portable Holding Tanks | Tote Tanks | Portable Tote Waste Tank ) with hose input in larger 4" cap.. Can hold a lot of gray water (11 to 32 gallons..), and then dump at home or when you reach place with dump tank, and just run hose from trailer drain cap into blue tank. They come in other colors, and you could et second one for extra fresh water, and be good for days out in boondocks...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #42
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
Why don't you just pull the tailgate off? I believe all of them pop right right. Google your model with the question if you don't know how to do it.
janeinthemtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC View Post
Awesome little Rig, your going to love it! That first picture, is it Jenner? The north coast has some killer spots.
Yeah, right near Jenner
GP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum View Post
Looks like a pant leg protector from a bicycle shop.. Great idea..

Side shot makes me wonder how moving propane tank will resolve open-tailgate towing issue, given jackstand still sticking up in front of tanks.. I know there are some pretty rugged hitch extension schemes and for trailer that small they should be able to work... I'd keep searching internet and talking to hitch shops to see if you can avoid surgery on trailer...

Robert makes good point about newer door windows being frosted glass, which makes seeing who is outside a challenge.. Our older door is clear glass, but has annoying roll-up window shade between door and screen door.. Small peep-hole device could give you vision outside, but wouldn't address desire for more light..
I forgot to mention that I plan on replacing the tongue jack with either one of the fold-up ones or regular type further back on the side. I've measured it out and with the extended ball mount it should work.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Most states do not allow you to drain grey water onto the ground. Be careful about that one.
Beautiful trailer and pics!

Kay
I always find this sort of thing funny. My shower water wouldn't be any different than someone that sets up a solar shower outside. And as I mentioned before, I would actually run a filter to the end of the hose.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeinthemtns View Post
Why don't you just pull the tailgate off? I believe all of them pop right right. Google your model with the question if you don't know how to do it.
This was brought up and addressed earlier in the thread. Problem is the rear tires of the 2 motorcycles. They rest on the gap between the truck-bed and the tailgate. Wouldn't work unfortunately.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #47
1 Rivet Member

2005 16' Safari
Mill Valley , California
Hi,
I'm thinking that there are enough of us to have an informal Bay Area rally. I know there are at least 4 of us in Mill Valley alone. You're in Emeryville. Maybe we could figure out someplace close and beautiful to get together one weekend? Sonoma coast? Russian River? I'm brand new too and am taking Dahlia out on her maiden voyage on Sunday. I would love to trade ideas and learn from the veterans.
What do you think?
Nira
Old 07-25-2013, 11:11 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Roseville , California
My wife and I live in Roseville but we would be interested in joining you if our schedule permits. We are part of an informal boondocking rally at Brannan Island SP near Rio Vista August 9-11.
Zymurbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #49
TRC
1 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by niralouise View Post
Hi,
I'm thinking that there are enough of us to have an informal Bay Area rally. I know there are at least 4 of us in Mill Valley alone. You're in Emeryville. Maybe we could figure out someplace close and beautiful to get together one weekend? Sonoma coast? Russian River? I'm brand new too and am taking Dahlia out on her maiden voyage on Sunday. I would love to trade ideas and learn from the veterans.
What do you think?
Nira
We are exploring the north coast starting next week. If anyone is venturing out & want to meet up let me know. Cheers!
TRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:39 AM   #50
1 Rivet Member

2005 16' Safari
Mill Valley , California
Hey,
Have you all checked out the High Sierra rally? Aug 22-25? That sounds fun.... My friend, and her 19' Bambi, and I are planning on it.
I'm thinking of a Bay Area Rally, mid Sept. in Olema? I haven't even called them to check availability.
This is clearly a little ambitious on my part, seeing as how I haven't even taken Dahlia on her maiden voyage yet. But, I'd really like to learn from my local, like-minded people.
Thoughts?
Old 07-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #51

2010 16' Sport
Long Beach , California
Hi GP, what a great rig! Thanks for all the pics and good info. I got a 2010 16ft in late May, but have yet to take her out for real (due to various and tedious issues with the TV) so all this road testing you are doing is super helpful for me.

The BAL-Leveler was new to me and looks really cool.

What LEDs did you use? I got a couple barrel type with 300 lumens to try out, and am not totally in love with them.

Thanks again for the great tips and thoughts.

LBcat

2010 Bambi 16ft
LBcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
For those with new Airstreams, Congrats.. You may want to check for a thread on group event at Jackson Rancheria in October, or Casini Ranch in April of 2014.. There is a growing group of northern Calif Airstreamers that assemble twice each year for long weekends, pot-luck meals and informal socializing.. Not a club, just a group of people who are enjoying life on wheels.. Group has spun out a few smaller groups, including a number who traveled to Lassen/Lava Beds this month.. New owners always welcome, though Jackson has waiting list with 50 spots confirmed at present...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:08 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
We're heading out on our motorcycle trip in a little over a week so as long as its sometime in September we might be able to make it.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:15 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBcat View Post
The BAL-Leveler was new to me and looks really cool.

What LEDs did you use? I got a couple barrel type with 300 lumens to try out, and am not totally in love with them.

Thanks again for the great tips and thoughts.

LBcat

2010 Bambi 16ft
Love the bal leveler. Again, well worth the money!!

These are the ones we got. This was the 2nd set of lights we tried. The first ones were way too cool a color and looked too much like fluorescent light. These were perfect:

AMAZON
Brightech LED BA15s - Warm White Color- Bayonet Base 36LEDs SMD Bulb - 2nd Generation with 36 LEDs - Replacement for #1156 1141 1073 1093 1129 93 -
http://amzn.com/B008XB9BJY
Old 07-31-2013, 02:30 AM   #55
AlaskaSafari

1997 25' Safari
Fairbanks , Alaska
Send a message via MSN to AlaskaSafari
Congratulations. You've got a nice looking set up. Here's to wishing you meant happy trips!

You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment... ~ Thoreau
AlaskaSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #56
Selby

2014 16' Sport
Bexley , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Burfield
Bought the same model last week and was told by dealer that I couldn't buy rock guards from Airstream for the 16' Sport, (or a bumper) were you able to get rock guards?
Burfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
We actually ended up getting a really good deal on a 2013 Bambi 19 Int. and pulled the trigger on that so no more 16 for us. But, the dealer WAS going to install the rock guards on the 16 we had, so I don't see why your dealer wouldn't be able to do the same.
We're out on the long trip that was supposed to be via motorcycle, but ended up taking the trailer for a portion of the trip. So far it's been great. Oh and by the way, as you'll see in the pictures, it was absolutely possible to move the propane tanks to be able to haul our motorcycles with the tailgate down. Guys at Bay Area Airstream did an absolutely awesome job on that. I'll post more pictures of all the work when we get back.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:54 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Congrats on the 19. Beautiful Pictures !!! Looks like Moab ?
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by knunut View Post
Congrats on the 19. Beautiful Pictures !!! Looks like Moab ?
Thanks. That was just north (about 8 miles) of Kiva Koffeehouse in Escalante on our way to Moab. The other picture was just north of Zion National Park.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:33 AM   #60
1 Rivet Member

2005 16' Safari
Mill Valley , California
Hi,
What did you do with your 16'? I could have sold mine 2 or 3 times just sitting in my driveway! What made you switch? The dual battery and separate holding tanks? I've found advantages and disadvantages in both sizes.
I'm glad, and surprised, you got good service from Bay Area Airstream. They were really unresponsive to me in the service department. You guys should know about Vinnie at Vinnie's Northbay Airstream Repair in Novato. He's great. Look him up on facebook.
Love your pics. Keep posting.
Nira