Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #41
Selby

2014 16' Sport
Bexley , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Burfield
I'm pulling 16' Bambi to Arizona from Ohio this fall with a stock 2013 Fj Cruiser. Will update with any issues. Planing to go up Mt. Lemon and other areas with some steep grades. Don't want to add any more weight to the Fj with offroad mods I won't need this trip. The e2 WD hitch seems to be close to 100 lbs or more. I feel like it's overkill for the 16' Bambi but i'm going to take everyones advice and use it to be safe. Trying to figure a good way to install another gas tank or fuel cell on the Toyota.
Burfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Wichita , Kansas
Reply from (NoJeepJarrod)

No sag issues! Replacing the rear coil springs was no more than a half day job. That brought the rear up about 1 3/4". The FJ measured 17 1/4" from the garage floor to the lower edge of the rear tow point before the rear coil spring replacement. Afterward it measured at 19 1/4" and settled after a few months near 1 3/4" change. (Those measurements were with the original BFG tires) As for sag, it's pretty solid, it comes down a little with the trailer hooked up. I'm guessing here, maybe 1 1/4" and thats with full fuel and stuff in the rear cargo area of the FJ. I'm very happy with the suspension changes I went with. Much cheaper than anything else.

As for an additional fuel tank on the FJ, they are way over priced. I know of about two places that make them.

FJ CRUISER AUXILIARY TANK

:: The Long Ranger :: Toyota FJ Cruiser

A few people have settled with a marine style tank mounted on the roof rack. IMO thats just a short term band-aid.

I'd think if you were not off roading the FJ than air bags may be a good way to go. I put my Viair compressor under the hood on the passenger finder with my winch solenoid box.

Well I'm guessing the 16' behind the FJ will pull pretty nice. Whats the empty weight of it? We went with the 22', knowing one of these days we will have a different Toyota to tow with.
tallen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #43
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
16ft weight

Hitch Weights (w/LP & w/o options, water & cargo) (lbs.) is 350lbs
Unit Base Weight (w/LP & w/o options, water & cargo) (lbs.) is 2860lbs
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs.) is 3500lbs

FJ shouldn't have any problem towing. Have considered the next up size like you, for the separate shower and holding tanks, but I think it would be too close to limits, which is okay for a while I suppose, but we don't have plans on swapping out the FJ anytime soon. We do like to offroad some, so I may eliminate the airbags from consideration and just focus on the springs.

All I need now is a hefty deposit to the toy fund for more mods!
KippyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #44
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
FJ SC delay

Bah, trd is still not releasing the 2010+ SuperCharger. Hopeful for late 2013, early 2014. Guess that's more time to same up...
KippyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote