Old 05-28-2017, 02:17 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Issues with our New 2017 22FB- less than one month old

Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
We just bought a new AS 22BF. We have never had a trailer before. We have had it for less than a month and have already found the following issues. As well when i call AS support, it always goes to VM. Does AS not have real people in customer service?

1. the black water level always reads 0, the other levels are fine. how do we fix this. our dealer is a 7 hour drive away form our home
  2. we did not receive a starter kit as documented nor the owners manual.
  3. we have no manual for the fridge, water heater, furnace gas system.
  4. the tv does not play through the rcvr speaker. the tv also has no audio output to connect to rcvr AUX
  5. the rcvr claims to play dvd movies but there is no hdmi/dvi output even though the TV has a hdmi cable plugged in going into the wall
  6. limited heat comes out of the furnace. when we look behind the microwave, we see that the AS factory installer pinched the heat pipe and it is severely squeezed.
  7. there was a lot of garbage left in our trailer under and behind the sink and furnace. along with saw dust and a spider, we found two candy wrappers, metal filings and metal punch outs
  8. we opened up the area under the closet. that area also had junk left over from the factory installation. does no one do a QA? does not inspect and clean these "hidden" areas?
  9. we see 12 Ga wire used, this rated for 20A. why was 10Ga wire not used as it is the std for 30A in N American home wiring
  10. poor labeling of the fuse panel. the label was in small font and twisted 90 degrees and not aligned with the actual fuses. Is it that hard to produce a properly spaced and readable label for the fuses?
  11. we like design of our trailer, but the workmanship is very poor.
  12. the owners manual that was mailed to us ( as none was in the trailer), seem poorly written and light on information. As new trailer people, we had many unanswered questions
  13. given that you have been is business for so long we expected better drawing of the internal systems, The gas drawing is useless, The water drawing is very hard to read and shows many lines together making it hard to understand what goes here.
  14. the TV antenna on the roof touches the AC unit. why was it not positioned so that they were not touching. we expect the two to wear each other and produce noise on the road

Sorry for your issues.

What dealer did you buy from?

Sounds like they completely dropped the ball in your case.

Can't add much to the above suggestions, they are reasonable in your situation.

One that hasn't been mentioned (and, to me, is the most worrisome) is the black tank monitor reading zero.

Recognizing it takes a while to fill the black tank in normal use, are you sure it's reading zero when filling up?

The monitors are outside the tank these days, so it's possible to check. If it is a See Level system, I believe their web site has some basic diagnostics.

For example:

https://www.garnetinstruments.com/wp...ual_v3.4.1.pdf

One thing to verify is to set the monitor to display 'constant' reading (select 'black' twice, within 5 seconds) then fill the tank with a hose through the potty flap. You'll hear the tank reach full and should see a corresponding level on the indicator.

The rest of your issues appear a combination of poor dealer prep, careless manufacturing standards and abysmal sales follow through, leading to a complete lack of expectation management.

Hate to say, but I would plan on a few more Gremlins creeping up as the trailer bounces down the road the first few trips. Weird stuff happens.

Best of luck.

Rich

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Llando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:08 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
i sent the same report TO as customer support. they never seem to answer the phone, just get vm.

i found another internal number and finally taking to a woman . she said that she would send it into the the manufacturing dept

no response yet. after one week

here are some pics i sent to them to document my issue. the file names describe the issue in each picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a sample of some of the garbage we removed under the sink counter- there was much more buit we t.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	286413   Click image for larger version

Name:	under sink another major kink in hot air hose- this hose is severy squeezed between drain pipe a.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	286414  

Name:	under sink- messy wiring, extra black goop dripping.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	286415   Click image for larger version

Name:	under sink, bracket is not parrallel to ground other screw is .5 inch off floor.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	286416  

Name:	under closet- sever bend in hot air hose thus restricts hot air-poor install.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	286417   Click image for larger version

Name:	atop black tank- alot of dust- removed garbage and shredded paper.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	262.1 KB
ID:	286418  

Name:	under sink, alot of dust- old garge was removed by us.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	286419   Click image for larger version

Name:	behind fridge -why is there a large hole in the wall.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	286420  

Name:	miising screw , not aligned under the closet.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	286421  

waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:17 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
i sent the same report TO as customer support. they never seem to answer the phone, just get vm.

What is it you want Airstream Customer Service to do for you at this point?

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Llando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Looking at your wiring, the NM-B (Romex) exterior coloring is usually:
14 AWG – White
12 AWG – Yellow
10 AWG – Orange
8 AWG – Black
6 AWG – Black
However, this is not an NEC requirement. Some manufacturer's agreed on this scheme, but the cheap wire folks have not.

In an Airstream, recommend not expecting anything to be "best practice".

In your circuit panel, how many GFCI breakers are there, and are the others 15A and 20A AFCI?

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:11 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
How were you so lucky to only have 14 problems? I had 67 with my new 27fb classic. All your issues are fixable. Suck it up and remember you bought the best there is. I know the choices aren't to good, but you've got the best. Enjoy it. I tackle one or two of the issues every year and slowly they go away. I enjoy every minute I am in my unit and thank God he gave me the strength to pay for it.

Happy streaming
gr.austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:43 AM   #26
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
My 2¢ worth... Go back and figuratively kick the &$@@ out of the dealer you purchased from. Pre delivery inspections and delivery walk through should have caught many of the issues you bring up. There will typically be things that you find over the first months, but the litany you listed is inexcusable.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 02:10 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Wethersfield , Connecticut
[QUOTE=waninae39;1954542]We just bought a new AS 22BF. We have never had a trailer before. We have had it for less than a month and have already found the following issues. As well when i call AS support, it always goes to VM. Does AS not have real people in customer service?
[LIST=1][*]the black water level always reads 0, the other levels are fine. how do we fix this. our dealer is a 7 hour drive away form our home[*]we did not receive a starter kit as documented nor the owners manual.[*]we have no manual for the fridge, water heater, furnace gas system.[*]the tv does not play through the rcvr speaker. the tv also has no audio output to connect to rcvr AUX[*]the rcvr claims to play dvd movies but there is no hdmi/dvi output even though the TV has a hdmi cable plugged in going into the wall[*]limited heat comes out of the furnace. when we look behind the microwave, we see that the AS factory installer pinched the heat pipe and it is severely squeezed.[*]there was a lot of garbage left in our trailer under and behind the sink and furnace. along with saw dust and a spider, we found two candy wrappers, metal filings and metal punch outs[*]we opened up the area under the closet. that area also had junk left over from the factory installation. does no one do a QA? does not inspect and clean these "hidden" areas? [*]we see 12 Ga wire used, this rated for 20A. why was 10Ga wire not used as it is the std for 30A in N American home wiring[*]poor labeling of the fuse panel. the label was in small font and twisted 90 degrees and not aligned with the actual fuses. Is it that hard to produce a properly spaced and readable label for the fuses?[*]we like design of our trailer, but the workmanship is very poor.[*]the owners manual that was mailed to us ( as none was in the trailer), seem poorly written and light on information. As new trailer people, we had many unanswered questions [*]given that you have been is business for so long we expected better drawing of the internal systems, The gas drawing is useless, The water drawing is very hard to read and shows many lines together making it hard to understand what goes here.[*]the TV antenna on the roof touches the AC unit. why was it not positioned so that they were not touching. we expect the two to wear each other and produce noise on the road

We own 2015 22FB and had the same issue with furnace duct being squashed. We only had heat blowing from the vent below the bed. Airstream offered to repair. Contact Airstream. This is obviously an ongoing QC problem that needs to be addressed by Airstream.
TinkersToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:31 PM   #28
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigfoot View Post
Hello....I assume you bought your AS at Can-am in London. ...
It is too bad that the OP has not answered your question and left an erroneous impression of who the selling dealer was; but I gather, from his other posts in other threads, that he bought the trailer in the USA and imported it in to Canada. I know from personal experience that Can-Am does a very thorough PDI.

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:56 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
It is too bad that the OP has not answered your question and left an erroneous impression of who the selling dealer was; but I gather, from his other posts in other threads, that he bought the trailer in the USA and imported it in to Canada. I know from personal experience that Can-Am does a very thorough PDI.
Totally agree. CanAM did an excellent delivery job on our 27 FB FC that we purchased last fall. I cannot imagine this came from them.
Philip Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:26 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Ramara , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Jones View Post
Totally agree. CanAM did an excellent delivery job on our 27 FB FC that we purchased last fall. I cannot imagine this came from them.

And ours, awesome delivery. Great to deal with CanAm
Kevin
KSA63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:23 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
we asked CANAm london to do the work 2 months from now in aug 2017. they are too busy (; and did not accept to do the work (; we are stick as there are no local dealers
Old 06-12-2017, 09:25 AM   #32
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Quote:
we asked CANAm london to do the work 2 months from now in aug 2017. they are too busy (; and did not accept to do the work (; we are stick as there are no local dealers
Did you purchase your unit from CanAm?

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:47 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Any reason you can not be more flexible in your timing? If they are booked up at that time I can understand them saying they are unable to fit you in. If they are flat refusing to do the work any time then you can report them to Airstream. Under the new 5 Rivet program dealerships have to work on all Airstream even if you did not buy from them.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:41 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Calgary , -
Black water issue

Did you get your black water reading 0 fixed? I just got my 22FB this week (used) and it has that same issue.
robinjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:54 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
cisco live conference in LV- they have a 22' AS they use- what model?

i am at the cisco lice conference in LasVegas, NV. what did i see, a 22' AS on the floor

it does not look like a sport 22 as the side door is on the front vs the back for the sp0rt

does anyone know what model this unit is?
is this an old model cleaned up?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cisco umbrella AS trailer.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	288133   Click image for larger version

Name:	cisco umbrella AS trailer-inside.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	288134  

Old 06-25-2017, 04:33 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Upper St Clair, PA/Titusville, FL , PA-Summer/FL-Winter
Most items listed are dealer issues, which should have been cleaned up and corrected by the dealer prior to delivery.

Bud
Starting to Look (AGAIN) Number 5 Hopefully
USAF Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:20 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
i am at the cisco lice conference in LasVegas, NV. what did i see, a 22' AS on the floor

it does not look like a sport 22 as the side door is on the front vs the back for the sp0rt

does anyone know what model this unit is?
is this an old model cleaned up?
Resembles a 20 FC, but the door does seem a bit forward.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:46 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
waninae39 - Thanks for sharing with the issues. Sorry that you had the problems and hope by now AS has stepped up to fix all of them. Please do share with us all your new experience so we as newbie can learn ...

We will be driving 1200 miles to Tampa late August to pickup 22FB. Will use your list as a checklist.
playc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:12 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
You've not said who the selling dealer was.what was his response to your problems. If no response then a call to the factory was in order but not before. Sorry about your problems.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:11 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The entire core issue with Airstream and their trailers and buses is now "Corporate Greed". How fast and cheap can we make them with a greater than 50% price increase in the 31' Classic from 2014 (base MSP $97,297 to over $150,000 for 2017/2018) to today. Our 2014 had solid Hickory cabinets while new ones are veneer.

Our 2013 25FB International Serenity was made in July 2012 when production was 25 units per week. Absolutely no issues with the selling dealership or the PDI or the quality of the selling dealer's custom work. Then we started working with the exceptionally inept local dealership where we took the trailer for service. A total disregard for the condition of the trailer after service (I spent several days on hands and knees getting the grease out of the flooring) and a totally botched cabinet modification. They could not care less.

I was at the factory for nearly every day of the build process starting 2 January 2014 on our 31' Classic. Build rate now crammed to 41 units per week. All kinds of QC issues pointed out at they occurred. It was total chaos inside the trailer with folks tripping over one another. Saw crossed duct work under a cabinet, not fixed, Wrong flooring installed as the work order did not reflect the change order approved by the VP of production. Interior installed at that point had to be removed and replaced after the correct flooring was installed. The punch list was personally handed to the QC supervisor and was totally ignored. Lots of interior damage from the high speed run from the delivery chap making a road race from the factory to the dealer. (I knew the exact time of departure and was at the dealership 10 minutes after the unit arrived and before the dealer called me.)

The damage was totally beyond the capabilities of that dealership to fix correctly. The solution was taking the unit to an authorized Airstream third party warranty facility and also a restorer of vintage units. All the QC issues were properly addressed by using non-Airstream parts but ones appropriate for the repairs and custom work.

Our 2015 23D International Serenity was made in September 2014 when production (in the same factory) was now ramped up to 51 units per week. The selling dealership just could not have even looked inside or outside during the PDI. A typical issue was the lack of the Airstream brand name on the rear of the trailer, broken vista window shades, improperly installed shower and toilet, scored wheel bearings at 2,000 miles on the trip to the same repair facility used on the Classic and a hole in the very thin, but most importantly, cheap flooring by the dinette leg.

After significant funds were expended doing the repairs and modifications, the two trailers (2014 Classic and 2015 23D) are as we want them and we are just fixing the minor things that happen because the trailers move down the roads and are not just yard art.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote