Old 01-11-2014, 07:14 AM   #1
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
small city outside a big one , south of some, north of some
Incoming 2014 16' Sport

We purchased a new 16' Bambi Sport this week after looking for years. We were ready to purchase a T@B but had some luck in the market last year and a number of other thing go right for a change so we hit a hard deal with the local dealership and they came around eventually. We got a great deal, but no time was spent by the dealership informing us of upgrades etc. We have been tent camping recently, we used to have a pop-up for years, so we are aware of the general things, but never had a travel trailer. I've read some things here which concern me.

1) How do you deal with a 2-way fridge? I've always had 3-way. You drive with the LP running? Should I upgrade it right away? What is this fan thing, can I fix it?

2) Never had an onboard crapper. Anything I need to know? I think it will not be used much but wanted it there to avoid late night trips.

3) I read of a number of folks replacing the battery. Anything I need to know? What's wrong with the one in it?

4) On one thread somebody said the AC was on or off. Is that true? No thermostat?

5) Why do people want to change out the LP bottles? What's wrong with them?

Anything else I need to know before I pick this beast up next week?

Old 01-11-2014, 07:36 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
Congrats! We got one last month and love it. So, I'm not an expert but I'll give it a stab:

1) Concensus seems to be, get it cold before leaving home and you could leave it closed and off enroute and still be plenty cold 6 hours later. We typically go about 3-4 hours and the contents feel like it's been running the whole time. We're definitely not upgrading, as it gets much colder than the 3-way that was in our last camper.

2) For solids, flush plenty of water to avoid the dreaded "pyramid of death"

3) Battery is a whole big topic. (multi-page threads on this issue) I'm thinking of upgrading the single group 24 to two group 24's or better yet, two 6V golf cart batteries. You could probably boondock one night with zero to extremely limited furnace use and get away with the single group 24. If you never boondock, the single g24 is very adequate.

4)Dunno about the AC, haven't needed it yet, but I can tell you it has a knob to turn and no digital thermostat. I imagine it's like the old window units from a few years back where you could set the knob to your comfort level and it would cycle as needed on its own. I kinda like that because it was always very confusing in our last camper (non-airstream) to have furnace and AC both connected to a digital thermostat.

5)I don't know. Big is good; more is better? Although, there are some snazzy aluminum ones that could be polished to an astounding shine, I'm sure. The two standard bottles are fine for us. I'm diggin' the automatic changeover regulator. Our old camper only had one propane bottle.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:51 AM   #3

2014 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooter View Post
2) For solids, flush plenty of water to avoid the dreaded "pyramid of death"
Never thought of that.....
Old 01-11-2014, 08:57 AM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by renderit View Post
Never thought of that.....
The Sport 16 only has a single combined black/grey holding tank. So, after a shower or two, there should be plenty of liquid for draining the black stuff.

The Sport has two twenty pond tanks, two thirty pounders would extend your use significantly. See if your dealer would be willing to swap the stock ones for the larger ones for a nominal fee.

There is nothig wrong with the factory batteries, they are covered by a nationwide warranty if you have a problem with them, and almost every garage sells them. You can upgrade to AGM for slightly better life and endurance, if you want to.

LED retrofit would be a good idea for interior lighting. It is much cooler, they last longer, and draw much less power than the stock incandescents. Tthat upgrade would probabl cost around $300 or so.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We changed the GR24 battery to a 27 after it's useful life and have no problems. All interior light was changed to LED for less than $150. We start the fridge a day before and keep it on while traveling. The two 20# gas bottles will last more than two weeks if boondocking. The AC fan will run continually when turned on but the compressor cycles on and off depending on your comfort setting. Ours keeps us cool even in temps above 100. The more is better mentality is nonsense but to each his own.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:05 PM   #6

2014 16' Sport
Thank you all. I have a request in to check how much an extra battery would be, and I ordered 12 soft white led bulbs on line for $118. One more question, is the ball 2 5/16? Just started stocking up on bio toilet paper too but I can't say that out loud...
Old 01-11-2014, 08:23 PM   #7
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by renderit View Post
Thank you all. I have a request in to check how much an extra battery would be, and I ordered 12 soft white led bulbs on line for $118. One more question, is the ball 2 5/16? Just started stocking up on bio toilet paper too but I can't say that out loud...
Yes, 2 5/16" ball.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
LED retrofit would be a good idea for interior lighting. It is much cooler, they last longer, and draw much less power than the stock incandescents. Tthat upgrade would probabl cost around $300 or so.
Not needed, LED lights became standard in (I believe) 2013 so all 2014's already have them.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:05 PM   #9
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Not needed, LED lights became standard in (I believe) 2013 so all 2014's already have them.
We have a brand new 2014 Sport 16 and a new Sport 22 on the lot, both have incandescent lights.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:13 AM   #10

2014 16' Sport
Quote:
We have a brand new 2014 Sport 16 and a new Sport 22 on the lot, both have incandescent lights.
Correct. We lot visited the new trailer yesterday and it has 1141 incandescent bulbs (I counted 11 so I bought 12). Supposed to pick it up next Saturday am. Today I have to wire in the 7 pin and brake controller and set up the first part of the Fastway E2 WD hitch.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Quote:
My mistake I guess just the higher trim levels have LED lights standard.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
RWC , California
Congrats from me too. You will love it!

My response to your questions:

1) 2 way fridge in the 16 isn't an issue. Get it cold before you go and you'll be fine. It's a small box ... stays cold. I wouldn't recommend driving with the LP on.

2) On-board bathroom is great. Only thing you need to know is that the 16 has a combined tank (grey/black) that is small. For extended trips 2 to 3 days or more, you need to pay attention to the level. You need to take it easy on washing dishes, etc.

3) Battery - I did add a second battery ... they will both fit without modification. They are two GR 24's. I wanted to do two GR 27's but it required changing or welding a new holding area so I ditched it. Some switch to one GR 27 ... that's great too. If you switch out the lights to LED, single battery that comes with it is probably fine.

4) AC - yes true. Thermostat is for the furnace only. AC controls are on the ceiling at the unit. It is either on or off ... but cycles condenser on based on where you set the cold dial.

5) LP - we've had no issues with the two that come with it. Been camping this winter a number of times (granted it is in California) and run the furnace, fridge on LP, stove, water heater, etc and can go on numerous 2 to 3 day trips without filling them. Some don't like the plastic cover and opt to upgrade to the aluminum/SS one ... heard close to a grand or more for that from a dealer. Up to you.

Again, good luck & enjoy it!
Old 01-15-2014, 10:07 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
Can confirm the rear storage compartment light is LED. Exterior sewer drain light also appears to be LED. Outside step light is hard to determine without taking apart. Wife said she read that all the exterior lights are LED, so guess that means all exterior, not just the marker and signal lights.

It is lit like a Christmas tree back there, BTW. Quite striking at night, perhaps because the side markers are also visible from the rear due to those voluptuous curves.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:36 PM   #14

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
renderit, since you're from Austin I have to say if you travel in Texas May-September, I would recommend traveling with the LP on with the refrigerator operating on gas where this is permitted by law. With all due respect to those in cooler climates, our summer temperatures are a problem if you're going more than a couple hours away very early in the day.

There's an eternal difference of opinion on this as with several other aspects of traveling with our trailers where one way works for some but others wouldn't consider it at all. In any event I recommend a wireless thermometer so you can monitor the temps without opening the door.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
16' sport