Old 03-03-2014, 06:58 PM   #57
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
small city outside a big one , south of some, north of some
Starting to personalize

How AS says the mattress should fit.

How I fixed it quick (can't open lower doors far enough yet, but you can't open them all the way the other way).

Cheryl's color choice.

Added a shelf. (Have not put in the cable management yet).

Put some fish in the "sardine can™"

Threw in a clock to top it off.

Then we spiced it up...

Old 03-05-2014, 09:51 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
Like what you did with the bed edge...gonna look into that for ours. Thanks for the idea!

Maybe the tendency to squeeze mattress into too small a space is pervasive in the industry. Our old SOB was so tight, stuffing blankets around the edge would almost make your fingers bleed. We replaced that mattress with an aftermarket foam which I cut an inch smaller on all sides and that did the trick.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:09 AM   #59

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooter View Post
Like what you did with the bed edge...gonna look into that for ours. Thanks for the idea!

Maybe the tendency to squeeze mattress into too small a space is pervasive in the industry. Our old SOB was so tight, stuffing blankets around the edge would almost make your fingers bleed. We replaced that mattress with an aftermarket foam which I cut an inch smaller on all sides and that did the trick.
Sure, it's part of the general "our numbers are bigger than their numbers" marketing game. "Our mattress is 58 inches wide while theirs is only 56 inches!" etc.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:48 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
They had an on/off switch and one drew over an amp when off? That's HORRIBLE. Do you happen to remember a brand name? My Xantrex ProWatt 600 claims 90% optimum efficiency and "< 0.6a" no-load draw, but I've always assumed (without testing) that it's essentially 0 draw when switched off.
It is very rare for an inverter to draw any power at all when the switch is in the off position. Some may draw a few mA to keep the circuits which actually control the on/off function hot (so small wires can be used and small switches can be used) on the on/off feature, but my experience is that few even use any to do that.

The thing which draws power is the inverter on, but nothing connected to it, or nothing actually using any power on it. That idle draw can be quite low (60 mA or so) to really high (1.75 A). The factory 1000 watt Sine Wave inverter on my 2014 FC 20 has an idle current of 1.75 amps, on but doing nothing at all. The modified sine wave 1000 watt inverter in my '74 Argosy only takes 0.4 amps when doing nothing.

Inverter idle current is all over the map, and cannot be known unless the manufacturer states it in their literature, which may or may not happen. I have measured small inverters (under 100 watt output) with idle currents of 60 mA (.06 amps) to 0.6 amps. Pure sine wave inverters generally (but not always) have higher idle currents than modified sine wave ones).

Some sine wave inverters have a "search" function which shut them essentially off when there is no output load, and switching them on automatically when a load is detected. There is some power used for that search function, but it is quite small, in the range of 15 to 20 mA. I am going to install one of those in my FC 20 this year and use it mostly rather than the power hungry idle factory inverter. I will leave the big one in place for the microwave and toaster I like to use in the morning but use the other one for smaller loads, and leave it on search function all day. The one I have in mind has a 300 watt output, and will not do the microwave or toaster.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:55 AM   #61
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
small city outside a big one , south of some, north of some
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Sure, it's part of the general "our numbers are bigger than their numbers" marketing game. "Our mattress is 58 inches wide while theirs is only 56 inches!" etc.
I actually think that is it. It's a size thing because who in their right mind would buy a 46 in width bed in a trailer?

If you flip the thing over you can't get much in an out of the doors beneath. You would be limited on the access there. With it right side up you gain about 6 inches of width the door opens before it hits the heater or the inverter. Upside down items of a foot or less go through.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #62
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
With the SOB it must've been something like..."how small can we possibly make this space and still fit a 'short queen' mattress?" It's amazing how much roomier the Bambi's mattress feels to us. Of course, sleeping comfort is highly subjective.

Tags
16' sport