Old 02-21-2014, 07:15 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by renderit View Post
I was surprised how much stuff fits in it. What does anybody do with the hampers?
+1
We were amazed at the amount of storage. We keep an extra blanket and some other less frequently used items in the hampers. Noise from the furnace tends to come up through the hamper at the head of the bed, but that's easily mitigated by stuffing a coat or towels in there at night.

In the foot end hamper I installed a 410W converter to power the TV when boondocking, as our favorite campground has no electricity. Didn't wanna screw holes in the wall, and it fits perfectly in the hamper where the holes will never show.

Will try to post a pic of the installation this evening when I get home.

Edit to add: our 410W Schumacher converter has a rather noisy fan, and putting it in the hamper helps a ton. Just make sure to leave open space in there for the air to circulate, maybe leave hamper open this summer when it's hot.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #44
1 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Hamper solution

We use the ebags packing cubes for our clothes then store the cubes in the hampers. Two medium size and one large for each of us. One color for her and a different color for me. The cubes are pretty reasonable.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:48 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
If anyone is considering the Schumacher 410W, be advised the fan runs all the time the TV is on. Also, the supplied 12V plug is too short to reach the outlet so I took the one off our old one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	410W1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	206105   Click image for larger version

Name:	410W2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	206106  

Old 02-22-2014, 08:37 AM   #46
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
small city outside a big one , south of some, north of some
How much battery does that thing suck? I am interested, looks to be worth it if my 2 batts will run it OK.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I am now researching ways to keep UPS and FEDEX in business...
Old 02-22-2014, 03:55 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
How much battery does that thing suck? I am interested, looks to be worth it if my 2 batts will run it OK.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I am now researching ways to keep UPS and FEDEX in business...
Buy a TV/DVD combo that runs on 12DC and you won't have to use a stinkin converter.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:41 AM   #48

2014 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
Buy a TV/DVD combo that runs on 12DC and you won't have to use a stinkin converter.
Because the selection of 12 volt DC TV/DVD's is a total joke on quality. The selection of regular ones that will be a fine fit is fantastic. I picked up a 24" Samsung 1080P at Costco for $149 and a Samsung Blueray for < 100. Did not want a combo as I have always had problems on the DVD prior to the TV going out. The Sansui that was in the unit is absolutely not my taste in color reproduction and I have more Blue Ray than DVD anymore. I think the Sansui was excellent in ease of use though. To be honest, I really don't figure on watching a whole heck of a lot of TV while camping anyway, but I am kinda anal on color just because and sound because of hearing problems.

I picked up an Energizer 500 inverter for $41 off Amazon that had great reviews. The reviews on the Schumachers concerned me. I still want to find out how much energy is wasted on these things though. (The inverters ). I'll have one to experiment with soon.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:38 AM   #49
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
That 400 watt inverter should draw a maximum of about 40 amps when running at capacity.

And it's an INverter, not a CONverter. A converter converts 120 volts to 12 volts DC. An inverter inverts 12 volts DC to 120 volts AC.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:06 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
Quote:

No idea. We've got two golf car batteries and just got back from an overnight using the furnace, fridge (w/cooling fan that seems to run almost all the time), approx 2 hrs TV/DVD run time, as well as lights and a white noise machine plugged in all night and the micropulse indicator never showed battery below 3/4...although that's not a very accurate indicator. Next time I'll take the lids off the batts before heading home and check w/voltmeter.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:11 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
That 400 watt inverter should draw a maximum of about 40 amps when running at capacity.

And it's an INverter, not a CONverter. A converter converts 120 volts to 12 volts DC. An inverter inverts 12 volts DC to 120 volts AC.
This is why I'm perpetually confused about those words. Converter is what it says on the actual item.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	converter.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	206238  
Old 02-23-2014, 07:33 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Power used by inverter

The manual on the Schumacher PID410 says it draws 0.4 amps with no load, and it's "optimum" efficiency is 85%. I'd say that is pretty decent.

One thing to watch for, though. A friend of ours with an SOB has tried two different inverters, with poor results. My wife the electrical engineer checked them our on her bench. She found that they both drew significant current when they were turned off. One of them drew over an amp when "off". So if you can measure the "off" current of yours you will know if you need to unplug it when not in use.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:33 PM   #53

2014 16' Sport
Yup, it's an inverter. The draw for the device in watts is easy to figure, the heat generation is the unknown waste point I am concerned with. the fact all of them have constant fans and fins would indicate loss due to heat is a considerable factor.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #54

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
The manual on the Schumacher PID410 says it draws 0.4 amps with no load, and it's "optimum" efficiency is 85%. I'd say that is pretty decent.

One thing to watch for, though. A friend of ours with an SOB has tried two different inverters, with poor results. My wife the electrical engineer checked them our on her bench. She found that they both drew significant current when they were turned off. One of them drew over an amp when "off". So if you can measure the "off" current of yours you will know if you need to unplug it when not in use.
They had an on/off switch and one drew over an amp when off? That's HORRIBLE. Do you happen to remember a brand name? My Xantrex ProWatt 600 claims 90% optimum efficiency and "< 0.6a" no-load draw, but I've always assumed (without testing) that it's essentially 0 draw when switched off.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:13 PM   #55

2014 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
They had an on/off switch and one drew over an amp when off? That's HORRIBLE. Do you happen to remember a brand name? My Xantrex ProWatt 600 claims 90% optimum efficiency and "< 0.6a" no-load draw, but I've always assumed (without testing) that it's essentially 0 draw when switched off.
Yeah, but if what he says above is correct it may be running the fan all the time.
I would hope for at least 90%. If not that is a bunch of heat to dissipate...
Old 02-24-2014, 08:26 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Don't remember the brand

We don't remember the brands of the two inverters tested, so I can't tell you what to avoid.

Tags
16' sport