Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2014, 08:37 PM   #21
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
Well we got it. The staff helped mount the rest of the E2 hitch and probably got it done 3x faster than I would have. Had them winterize it on account of the weird weather we are having this year. After backing into our driveway 57 different ways trying to figure out where to put it we were worn out enough to call it quits for the day. We spent the afternoon over cacktails reading manuals (how many times can they tell you the same thing? They really need an editor...). Tomorrow we will start to personalize this thing.

As an aside, looking at this machine from in back it is intimidating. Also from the side if you are downhill from it. Dang, the thing is tall!
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:17 AM   #22

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
So now the reality sets in:

Hey, just kidding. We are excited as all get out over this and are looking forward to next week when I take it in to the dealership to install the hinged rock guards and repair some crappy factory work. Speaking of which, did any of you have these problems?

1) Screen door does not even begin to fit. Won't latch by itself and huge gap on the top left from inside.

2) Blind in bathroom hung by a drunk. It lists so strongly to starboard it ought to be illegal. Are they going to poke 57 more holes to fix it?

3) Rivit under table popped out.

4) Water heater mounted wrong, pushes out the outside cover and already rusting on the heat exchanger.

5) TV has a dead pixel that like grabs my attention and now I can't not see it.

6) Blinds over sink. No lower attachment point. They hang straight down and hit the faucet. Really?

7) Bed mattress does not really fit the opening for it, already the melamine is delaminating on the edge of the decorative piece.

When you are asked to pay enormous prices for these things I expect some workmanship. Hell, I can buy a pretty fancy car at this price. Slightly more intense a build and zero defects. Love the trailer, but some of the workmanship and Quality Control is kind of a joke in my book.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:31 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
Does yours have ripples in the linoleum? Both 16's on our dealer's lot had this issue. Since we're visiting Jackson Center later in the spring anyway, we went ahead and scheduled them to do the repair under warranty.

Both 16's also had a protruding edge on the water heater door. I chalked it up to fitting a flat door against the curved wall of the Airstream. Ours isn't bad enough to warrant a fix.

Nothing made by human hands is perfect. Although ours has a couple issues it is mega-slamdunk-head and shoulders above our old trailer both in quality of components and build quality. And aside from that, it seems to have an intelligence of design. Our old SOB seemed to be a random compilation of parts. It just wasn't smart.
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:49 AM   #24

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooter View Post
Does yours have ripples in the linoleum? Both 16's on our dealer's lot had this issue.

Both 16's also had a protruding edge on the water heater door. I chalked it up to fitting a flat door against the curved wall of the Airstream. Ours isn't bad enough to warrant a fix.

Nothing made by human hands is perfect. Although ours has a couple issues it is mega-slamdunk-head and shoulders above our old trailer both in quality of components and build quality. And aside from that, it seems to have an intelligence of design. Our old SOB seemed to be a random compilation of parts. It just wasn't smart.
Mine has no floor ripples. But the other 3 there did which was why we bought this one.

None of the other 3 had the protruding edge. Nor the rust.

Not perfect maybe, but at least acceptable. The bathroom blind issue is horrible and unforgivable if I can look at it and get seasick, the floors unacceptable (and quite obviously able to be done without issue as ours is) and the kitchen blind an major QC issue. The screen door shows nobody even looked at it (I am hopefully to be forgiven as I ASSUMED they checked these things).

I agree, we have looked for many years before making this leap. After a brief period when they were purchased by a certain Greek God and their QC was total offal I would say they are much better than most. But I will say, at twice the price I expect (no really, demand) better attention to detail and better QC THAN ALL THE REST.

That said, I must insist, I still love the unit. I am rather anal about workmanship. I perform to a high level, I don't expect you to buy my product if I don't display BETTER than anyone else in the field.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:17 PM   #25
Jack Dog in So Cal

2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
Countertops

We have a 2013 Bambi 16'. Be careful with the countertops. The material is very soft and prone to dings (a glass soda bottle slipped out of my hand only and inch or so from the tabletop and left a small divit on the white surface.

We had the dealer install an extra battery prior to p/u (room for it), full led's change out AND installed a manual switch for the fan on the fridge (otherwise it runs almost all the time even in cool weather).

We did four nights without hook ups and did great! When using the toilet I do keep two one gallon plastic water bottles in the bathroom and use them to pour into the toilet to assist with flushing and saves on using the electric water pump when dry camping.

I run the frig on propane when traveling (have done so with two other trailers) and never a safety problem. I do turn on the frig with shore power at home 72 hours prior to leaving to get it stone cold when I pull away from the curb. I've been able to keep my stash of ice cream nice and cold on our trips.

Keep the little tin can neat and picked up inside since you'll be spending alot of time showing it off to other campers wherever you go.

Happy Airstreaming!

Jack Dog in
So Cal
JackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:16 PM   #26

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
Still waiting to get it back, but looked at it today to get some measurements for storage boxes. Imagine my chagrin when I discovered the section guards are screwed on the unit. No hinges, can't clean behind them, multiple points now for leaks and they just slapped them on over the clear tape they put on at the factory. I guess the "hinged rock guards" we agreed on during the price negotiations must have meant something else. My bad I suppose for not having them "show me" what they were talking about.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #27
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by renderit View Post
Still waiting to get it back, but looked at it today to get some measurements for storage boxes. Imagine my chagrin when I discovered the section guards are screwed on the unit. No hinges, can't clean behind them, multiple points now for leaks and they just slapped them on over the clear tape they put on at the factory. I guess the "hinged rock guards" we agreed on during the price negotiations must have meant something else. My bad I suppose for not having them "show me" what they were talking about.
Ask them where the hinges are and to demonstrate their function. You are going to have this trailer a very long time, make sure it is how you think it should be. A little thing here or there will drag on you every time you use it.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:30 AM   #28

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
A little late for that. There are (guess) 16-24 holes in the box now. It is effectively ruined. They can't take them back out. I am totally deflated at this point.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:47 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by renderit View Post
A little late for that. There are (guess) 16-24 holes in the box now. It is effectively ruined. They can't take them back out. I am totally deflated at this point.
Sorry to hear this.

This is at the dealer? Ask them how they're going to correct the damage they caused with their installation of the incorrect parts and what their plan is to install the correct ones for which you've paid. If you're not happy with their plan, explain to them that you'd like to give them a chance to address this to your satisfaction before you call the factory to correct these errors and inquire about their standards for dealers.

Any dealer worth their salt knows that this is the time to get it right to have a customer for life. Unfortunately, I fear the smaller the linear feet of the trailer, the smaller their margins and less inclined they are to go the extra mile.

You admittedly sound anal about things like the bathroom blind and such - which you should expect better but you seem to understand some things are more nuisance than problem. Destroying a unit by drilling holes to install the wrong part doesn't fit the nuisance category in my book.

Again, sorry for the deflating experience. Good luck.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:48 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
By the way - please post some pics of this damage. I'm sure smarter people than I will be able to shed some light that will be helpful.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:19 AM   #31

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Sorry to hear this.

This is at the dealer? Ask them how they're going to correct the damage they caused with their installation of the incorrect parts and what their plan is to install the correct ones for which you've paid. If you're not happy with their plan, explain to them that you'd like to give them a chance to address this to your satisfaction before you call the factory to correct these errors and inquire about their standards for dealers.

Any dealer worth their salt knows that this is the time to get it right to have a customer for life. Unfortunately, I fear the smaller the linear feet of the trailer, the smaller their margins and less inclined they are to go the extra mile.

You admittedly sound anal about things like the bathroom blind and such - which you should expect better but you seem to understand some things are more nuisance than problem. Destroying a unit by drilling holes to install the wrong part doesn't fit the nuisance category in my book.

Again, sorry for the deflating experience. Good luck.
Apparently this is the "correct" part. That is what the dealership says and now I have found some other threads here that concur that it is just the way they do it on the sports. It does not change the fact I asked for and was answered positively 3 times when I inquired about my "hinged rock guards". I guess I was supposed to know all this and it is my fault and I have to live with it now.

The blinds are more than a nuisance by the way. The kitchen is missing parts and will destroy the wall and the fixtures if left down. The bathroom seriously is slanted at a 5 degree (at least) angle. It is just wider than the window so if put up correctly at least 3 new holes would have to be drilled in the bathroom wall (two for the right support and one to recenter the hold down) . I hardly consider hanging a blind diagonally a nuisance. I asked them not to fix it if it meant more holes. I will remanufacture the right support myself as Airstream could not take the time to do it correctly. An extra minute of their time will cost me several hours most likely. But hey, it's "good enough". I seriously expected more. I sadly have to accept less.

OK, I have vented now. Only positive things from here on out.

I am considering building some small very light (aircraft honeycomb maybe) cabinets for above the bed to house a Blueray™ and perhaps some clothing. Anybody know offhand where they get their formica for the walls?

Has anybody considered raising the bed 6" or so and putting in a hidey hole shelf for clothing so the trunk could be used for lawn chairs (or kegs or wet bar or slide out kitchen or something)? I mean it's not like the area above the bed can be used for much anyway. (Yes, it has to be balanced so kegs are probably out, sadly). But one can dream...
Old 02-11-2014, 02:08 PM   #32
Jack Dog in So Cal

2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
Segment Protectors

I plan on returning to the dealer I bought my AS to have them install the front segment protectors.

I know they will be "fixed" units but I'm sure I'll find a way to slide something in between the panels to at least get some of the dust and dirt off the surface of the AS. If not what I can't see won't bother me.

I've had my Sport 18 months and have been as careful as I can with road debris and I still have several tiny dimples in the curved panels of the trailer from crap bouncing up off the roadway.

Worth the inconvenience versus having to replace a panel (average cost is around $1,800). Think about purchasing brush mud flaps that install under the rear bumper of you're vehicle. It will cut down on the road debris that your tires kick up from the road.

With the high cost of these trailers I'm trying to keep it looking as new as possible. I just wish I could park it inside instead of in my driveway.

Happy Airstreaming
Jack Dog in
So Cal
Old 02-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #33

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
You are right, probably worth it even though they are fixed. Be forewarned though, they do not cover the (I think they call it the "banana wrap") the dark part at the bottom. And will punch a bunch of holes in the shell. If you know it and accept that it will be easier to take.

On the mud flaps I got some at mudflaps.com called Rock Tamers at a good price. They attach to the stinger if you have a spare inch there. That way when you take the trailer off you don't have to drive around with a hula skirt on.

Banana and hula in the same post. Do I get a prize?
Old 02-11-2014, 04:28 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
One solution for fixing mini blinds WITHOUT making holes: go to forums and interior repairs, page two . There is a post about using magnets, aluminum angle and double stick tape.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:44 PM   #35

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
That's the ticket! I have a ton of rare earth magnets laying about! I may have to buy smaller ones as the one I have you could probably tow a trailer with, but what an idea! I like it better than the holes solution and I can run felt strips up either side of the window to keep the blinds from destroying themselves and the trailer. Hopefully the double sided tape I have (3M) will work well. As it's what is used to put on car trim I have to guess it's good enough, if not, one screw will do.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:54 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Briarcliff , Texas
Greetings from another Austin area camper...

Though mine is not an Airstream, and just "a bit" older than yours..............

Enjoy the new Bambi sir.

There will always be "things to be fixed", and dealers.......I prefer not.

But with a new one they need to pony up, period.

Build quality vs. $ is one reason I went with a renovated vintage.

I know, mine does not SHINE like an Airstream, but......

Dealer in Buda by chance?

2022 Escape 19
7GenTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:08 AM   #37

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
I want to do a rebuild but will wait a few until I get moved up North. Don't have the space down here and I already have a 62 bug I need to finish.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:59 AM   #38
Jack Dog in So Cal

2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
Window Blinds

I'm not a rocket scientist but I pull the blinds up on the kitchen window blinds when traveling. So far they work fine and I havn't seen any damage to the wall.

One thing I'd like to share, coming from a Casita that had blinds on all the windows i wasn't sure I would like the sliding cloth curtains. Now that I've had the tin can awhile I find I like the way they work. The only thing I'm careful with his to make sure my hands are clean so I don't leave marks on the cloth surface.

One other question, has anyone changed out the stock faucet with one that has a tall curved neck. I find the stock unit gets in the way when washing dishes.

Jack Dog in
So Cal
Old 02-12-2014, 07:05 PM   #39

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
Mine has a tall curved neck. Moen I believe.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #40

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
Mine is not that tall. Memory did not serve me well. It is a Moen though.

We got it back the 13th with mostly nothing fixed. They kept it for 2 weeks to get the answer back from AS on whether they would pay for everything. They replaced the TV, gave me the blind hold downs as I asked them not to install them, and did nothing else. I have to take it back next week so maybe they will work on it as they got positive answers on everything I think. Missing rivet and screen door could have been refused by the factory. Nice to know. I have been finding screws that are painted and the heads filled back by the bed. Anybody have a clue on that?

We camped it last weekend and had a good time. Pulled it to Fredricksburg TX for the weekend and stayed at an RV park instead of roughing it just in case. Everything that had to work worked. We didn't need the screen door as we were away most the days. Had to use the heater Friday night. Hot water is nice! Never had that before without heating it on the stove....First time emptying the grey/black tank went smoothly. Used the SWMBO's pillow case to clean it out. (Not really). That was a lot easier than I had built it up to be in my mind. The FJ pulls it OK, maybe not the best tow vehicle in the world but at least I don't have to run out and buy a new one (plenty of power, but the transmission is for rock crawling, not towing). Looking forward to getting it out again soon.

I've been putting in shelf paper (the rubberized IKEA stuff) and getting ready to hang things on the wall like a clock and a thermometer, oven mitts, pot holders, paper towels. I was surprised how much stuff fits in it. What does anybody do with the hampers?

Tags
16' sport