Old 03-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #43
New 2019 Owner

2019 16' Sport
Clearwater , Florida
In own a 16RB and I like it better than the 22. Drawbacks are no grey tank and a smaller wet bath but the storage I prefer with the rear hatch convenience and I hate the dinette and lack of space between kitchen. All Airstream needs to do would be to stretch the 16 to 22 add more space to the bath and closet . Then add a grey tank and some bigger capacities. Both trailers suffer from the lack of an inverter and the AC is noisy. But there is nothing like the views from the bed and dinette. They should let me design a trailer. 😂

stewartprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:54 PM   #44
SilverFire

2013 16' Sport
EUGENE , OR
Smile 16' vs 22'

16' Bambi considerations, if not living fulltime

1. Less wear & tear on TV
2. Higher resale value
3. Trailers 18' & longer better off with double axle
4. Park length restrictions TV & trailer length
5. Ease of parking
6. Smaller foot print
7. More desireable dinette layout

SilverFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:36 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Leesburg , Florida
I have the 22' and agree on dinette issues. Poor design. I removed it and replaced with chair, ottoman and custom cabinet. Love it now. I camp 6 months at a time so well worth it!
LuLuAdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:51 AM   #46
New 2019 Owner

2019 16' Sport
Clearwater , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartprice View Post
In own a 16RB and I like it better than the 22. Drawbacks are no grey tank and a smaller wet bath but the storage I prefer with the rear hatch convenience and I hate the dinette and lack of space between kitchen. All Airstream needs to do would be to stretch the 16 to 22 add more space to the bath and closet . Then add a grey tank and some bigger capacities. Both trailers suffer from the lack of an inverter and the AC is noisy. But there is nothing like the views from the bed and dinette. They should let me design a trailer. 😂
Note: It’s the 22’ that I hate the dinette and lack of space between the kitchen. Was a little unclear.
stewartprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:47 AM   #47
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
San Antonio , Texas
This might address your towing concerns. We are AS/RV novices in every way and purchased a new Sport 22 in NM that we towed 950 miles home. This was just last week and in crazy desert southwest winds, and with zero towing experience. We have a Ford F150 that is able to tow 5000 lbs max (tow package but no EcoBoost....novice mistake), so not a lot of towing oomph compared to other TV’s. It was a piece of cake, even with the wind and even for me. The Sport 22 is narrow, easy to see around without extended mirrors. The exterior width is 7 ft 4 in and I believe it is the narrowest AS available (the 16’s exterior width is 8 ft). Passing, changing lanes, turning was quite easy. I’m a big chicken, and I even drove it myself on the winding roads in the Davis mountains and alongside the 18-wheelers on I-10. It corners well and great to manuever. Early in the trip we got ourselves into a tight spot in a parking lot and we were able to do an unexpectedly tight u-turn. When we got home it took us only ten minutes to back into our 14 foot wide storage space (our very first reverse experience was at the end of our 950 mile trip). If I feel comfortable towing and maneuvering the 22, everyone else on the planet probably would be too.

The 16ft is definitely completely adorable from the outside, and I like the dinette in the front windows, but we were concerned about the small wet bath. After spending a week in the 22, I’m glad we chose the 22 over the 16. The fact that your friend’s used 22 is such a great deal makes me think it would be the better choice.
PattyAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
NA , New York
What’s the big deal with the wet bath? You don’t need to spend your vacation in it.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:38 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
For comparison, the 16’ and the 22’ are Sport models. The Sport models are supposed to be extra lightweight for easier towing. (The 22’ is within 200 lbs of the little Nest!) They are both also Bambi models which means single axle.
The 22 is the Extra Narrow model at 7’-3.25” wide.
The 16 is a Narrow Body at 8’ wide.
In the Flying Cloud line, the 19’, 20’ and 23’ models are also Narrow Body at 8’ wide. The 19’ and 20’ are also single axle Bambi’s.
The 23’ is the smallest 2 axle model.
Models that are larger than 23’ are Wide Bodies at 8’-5.5” wide. All those are double axle.
Bed-wise, the 23’ is the smallest model with a 60” wide Queen bed. (60” in the FB. The corner bed is 48”)
The 22’ Sport has a 54” wide front bed.
The 16’ Sport has a 48” wide rear bed.

Now, onto opinions. Pluses for the 22, for us, the 54” bed is more comfortable and roomy than the 48”. It is close to a queen. (6 less”)
We really think the bigger bathroom with separate shower vs a wet bath is better.
Separate grey and black tanks, 24 gal plus 18 gal vs a 21 gal combo. That’s more capacity when you don’t have hookups.
You could argue the extra narrow body is easier to tow (especially in narrow construction highway lanes) and see around.

Pluses on the 16, wider feeling living space due to the different floor plan (and the actual wider body).
Much more comfortable dinette.
Obviously the smaller size could fit in tighter little camping spots, and even tight parking lots.
Super cute factor.

However, If we had our new bigger tow vehicle when we bought the 22, we would have gotten the 23FB, which is essentially the same floor plan as the 22’, but wider and roomier, with a real Queen bed and no climbing over each other, and easier to make, 2 axles, bigger tanks, stove exhaust hood, and the QuietStream ducted A/C (from personal experience with the noisy non ducted AC in the 22’ and 16’. I really wish we had that!)

I know your question was between the 16 and 22. They’re both great! But go sit in the 23! Ha! Or get the 22.

Good luck with your decision! For us, now we’re interested in the 25’ Globetrotter!
My advice is to plan for your future 2-foot-itis in advance!

-Rich
Rg416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:55 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Forestburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
What’s the big deal with the wet bath? You don’t need to spend your vacation in it.
Good question. However having graduated from a wet bath non-AS to the 22FB Sport w/ private rear bath, there is no comparison. When the wife wants privacy to put on makeup, step out of shower, use the lavatory without sitting on the toilet, and someone use the toilet or even brush their teeth while the other is in the shower, the rear bath is a must. Grandkids can dress in the bathroom in privacy. The shower is nice storage area for lightweight stuff while towing.

Having had a wet bath, when we shopped for a new AS, the roomy rear bath made the choice for us between the 16 and 22.

Also of note: We didn't have to upgrade to a larger TV when we bought the 22FB. It tows like it isn't even there. With the balanced weight and using a WD hitch, I can keep up with most all traffic. Narrow body can be a problem if you get trapped inside all day during rain, but it is just not a big enough issue to go to a wider AS for us.

my 2 cents...
Ham Radio Call sign K5FT
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:42 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
NA , New York
In a dilemma between 16' and 22'

We are quite happy with our 16’ the issues you raise in my mind are minor, my $.02, BTW the 22’ is narrower than the 16’ and it also tows like a dream with great gas mileage and easy access to many more parking spots. 16’ Sport are very desirable and have good resale.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:14 AM   #52

2018 22' Sport
San Antonio , Texas
Wife and I chose 22 over 16 last year. We are full timers and are ver happy with the choice. Bathroom and bed were key criteria for our decision. Our Tundra has no problem with its weight. Storage is a challenge that we’re solving.
CinTerLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:06 AM   #53
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
San Antonio , Texas
True. Might be kind of an unnecessary “luxury” item for camping, but I love the 22 bath anyway. The wetbath is probably totally do-able for one person.
PattyAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:31 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boise , Idaho
Thank you all very much for your replies!

Although many seemed to lean towards the 22, we have decided to go with the new 16' Sport. We couldn't be more excited to pick it up on Thursday!
James3344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:44 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
LOL, well, interestingly my Airstream floorpan was built for 23 years or so BUT the one thing people said against it was the small bath. I think like you do- use it and get out!

As far as which is best, that is up to your camping style. For me, I would have to take the 22 and then make it mine (whatever that would mean) as I have done with my '06. I find that any kind of dinette gobbles up space and the flip table is not a comfortable sitting area either. As a matter of fact, as I followed the postings of many full timers I learned the #1 thing they removed in Airstreams was that dinette. I rented a motorhome with a wet bath for a summer years ago. It is sufficient but I also like the bit of storage and space a bathroom affords -at least a bit of storage.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:37 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by James3344 View Post
Thank you all very much for your replies!

Although many seemed to lean towards the 22, we have decided to go with the new 16' Sport. We couldn't be more excited to pick it up on Thursday!
Very exciting! Congratulations! I think you'll be really happy. I keep thinking about your dilemma and always come back to the rear bed--how private and lovely it is and the dinette in the front with the windows around. I removed the dinette table and had a maple butcher block table made. It has a hinge about 6 inches out and I can remove the remaining 28(?) inches so that it is more comfortable to sit there when I don't need the table but the 6" "ledge is good for a coffee mug.

Keep us posted!

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote