Old 01-27-2007, 07:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
timemachine,
You are correct in that there is a heat strip and a heat pump. My post was thinking of the heat strips in my two trailers rather than the available heat pump.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:44 PM   #16
Site Team

, Minnesota
The wall thermostat on the Penguin does control the heat strip. You may need to take the cover off and set a dip switch, but it does control.

It doesn't modulate, but it will turn it on and off at whatever temperature you set on the thermostat.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:03 PM   #17
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
This has pretty well already been addressed, but my heat pump will actually shut off when outside temperature hits 40 degrees. My understanding is that is what it's supposed to do. All good advice regarding a little supplemental heat from small heater. However, if the heater is used too much your furnace doesn't cycle sufficiently to keep space around your holding tanks warm. Pretty important if you're "wet camping" below freezing.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:13 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
My thanks particularly to Timemachine. Your explanation correlates with my Safari (and probably yours). I have the 11,000 unit and I have the heat strip - always thought I had a heat pump.
WBCCI #3580 - Region 12 NorCal
AIR #8752
Roseville, CA
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:45 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
" Natasha " came to us as an orphan, rather than purchased new. I didn't get all the build info or documentation I should have. I did recently email A/S to see if they may have a record of my build, reply pending.

My thermostat does have a setting for "Heat Pump" and I had it in my head it was a 13, 500, but not sure. It does cycle on & off and blows cooler air in between, kind of like the furnace.

Shame on me, I thought the heat pump was the primary heat when plugged into shore power and the little furnace was what was used when boondocking.

Why shouldn't all the appliances work off the shore power when connected and not be dependent on using your batteries or propane, HW heater too......

I'm sure this is discussed elsewhere, but while we are on the subject......
Just what kind of " little ceramic heaters " are you folks using ?

Currently 54 degrees and raining. Thanx to everyone who chimed in here and a BIG Hello to my new friends from NH ! Stay warm !

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:29 AM   #20
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4WEDI
[...]

Currently 54 degrees and raining. Thanx to everyone who chimed in here and a BIG Hello to my new friends from NH ! Stay warm !
We have this one from target:

Name:   SSceramicheater.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  15.9 KB

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:58 AM   #21
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
You are asking too much out of the heat pump/strip if installed. I would say anywhere below 50 it can't keep up. I will use the furnace if it drops below 50 especially if it gets down into the 30's the heat pump does not heat the tanks. The furnace does.
Setting the Thermostat to 99 will not make the heat pump put out more heat. It just tells it to shut off at 99. it only knows on of off.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:15 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
[quote=B4WEDI

Currently 54 degrees and raining. Thanx to everyone who chimed in here and a BIG Hello to my new friends from NH ! Stay warm ![/quote]

We are using a Duracraft... similar to the one below. It's nice and small and easy to store. It's about 10x8x8
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	duracraft1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	31435  
NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:21 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
I have the heat strip in my '76 and felt it blowing cold sometimes . I think what is happening is that the heat strip is controled by the thermostat , but also by a thermal or timed shut off . In other words the heat stip is cycling on and off but the fan runs continuous , so it feels like it is not working sometimes . Anyone else notice this ?
Old 01-28-2007, 10:23 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Also I have no idea what the wattage is of the heat strip . If it's low that may be why it doesn't have a lot of heat potential .
Old 01-28-2007, 11:31 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Don't underestimate the heat pump

With the automatic switchover to furnace, I find the heat pump in my Classic 28 entirely adequate right down into the low 30s where it switches over to furbace. We set the thermostat at 70 to 72 and stay comfortable.

I am on 30a power at the storage yard and I leave the heat pump on all the time in the winter with the thermostat set at 40. I have been using a little propane during our cold spell, sp I know that the switchover works properly,

I was working in the trailer this morning in the mid-30s. The trailer interior was at 40 when I arrived. While I used a ceramic heater and the ehat pump to initially help warm the cold-soaked interior, I soon cut off the ceramic heater in favor of the heat pump alone. It was defrosting about every 15 minutes, but kept me comfortable in a T-shirt.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:39 AM   #26

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecos Pete
I spend a lot of time in the trailer when it is cold out. I have found that the most efficient heat is the furnace and a small ceramic heater in the living area (only running when we are in the trailer).
The importance in using this solution is to remember than in temperatures below freezing you need to use both sources of heat and not rely exclusively on the small heater. Use of the furnace in newer trailer will protect water lines and some of the holding tank system from freezing. An independent heater cannot direct air to these areas.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:41 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4WEDI
I have a "Pelonis" ceramic heater in the trailer, one in my workshop, and one at home. I think they are the best made and I trust their tip-over protection.

I use the one in the trailer along with the heat pump for initial warm-up and I place it on the bathroom counter while showering. It quickly warms the bathroom and it feels real good to step out of the shower into the stream of warm air.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:47 AM   #28
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2
I have the heat strip in my '76 and felt it blowing cold sometimes . I think what is happening is that the heat strip is controled by the thermostat , but also by a thermal or timed shut off . In other words the heat stip is cycling on and off but the fan runs continuous , so it feels like it is not working sometimes . Anyone else notice this ?
I think you're right. If the thermostat is set near the ambient temperature, eventually the fan will shut off. I don't know whether its a thermal cool down, or just a timer, but i suspect its thermal.

The rating on the heat strip is 1530 watts, or 5600 Btuh. Take your pick, I don't know which is more correct.

Tags
2006 bambi