Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2014, 07:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Gus, Thanks so much. Shower then pump it. Sounds easy enough.

And if it's not a hijack or too far off topic, any advice or opinions on the 16 vs 19 and boon docking? Curious on why particularly you changed sizes? Thanks, as we are looking and have only been able to see in person so far a 16 and 20 in the Bambi.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:21 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
For water hauling I purchased a Harbor Freight Spot Sprayer. It's 15 gallons and has a 12 volt pump on it and a 15 hose. I cut the alligator clips off and wired it to a 7 pin plug. I then plug it into the trailer plug and turn the pump on via the on/off switch. I though it was pretty clever and a lot easier than holding 5 gallon tanks and get wet shoes.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:37 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I have the dishpan but I use it to dump the water into the toilet. Now I have a second possibility. The LED lights are great.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:18 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Love the motion lights but wish they were solar. Looking for a solar night light. Maybe a lantern to light inside at night then a dog walker light if it not enough light outside. I have the dishpan and also a lavatory plastic liner. We do have two 5 gallon containers to reload FW. We use plastic tubing and it loads fast.
Keep those wonderful tips coming.
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
How to dry-camp forever (almost) and a few other tips....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Gus, Thanks so much. Shower then pump it. Sounds easy enough.

And if it's not a hijack or too far off topic, any advice or opinions on the 16 vs 19 and boon docking? Curious on why particularly you changed sizes? Thanks, as we are looking and have only been able to see in person so far a 16 and 20 in the Bambi.

We loved the 16 and would have been plenty happy keeping it, but we knew we'd eventually upgrade to the next size up. The dealer offered us even money for the 16 on trade and gave us almost $9k off of the price of the new 19. So.....if we were going to do it, why not then, right?

To us the difference between the 19 and the 16 was:
- obviously a little more space. Just consider that the extra space is almost like adding another of the rear bed width. I think one way to explain it is that with two people, you don't have to move out of each other's way as much.
- separate vanity/sink
- separate shower/toilet (16 has marine style combo bath) - not having to dry everything when your done showering is a real plus.
- separate grey/black tank: with our current setup this wouldn't be too much of an issue. This wasn't a deal breaker for us necessarily, but it is nice to have the extra capacity if you need it.
- decor - we really liked the international series and one can no longer get the international 16. Only sport now.
- rock guards, bumper (storage), stainless propane tank covers, electric tongue jack, etc. we were going to add some of these things if not all of them and probably would have ended up spending as much as just buying the new 19. (Bumper $900, stainless propane covers $700, rock guards $1,300, etc, etc)
- inverter - 16 didn't have one
- bigger fridge - if you're going to be out for a while this is also a nice thing to have
- towing, for us is no different but that of course depends on your tow vehicle.
- no fantastic fan in the 16. The 19 has 2 of them.
- (edited) 16 has only one battery vs 2 in the 19

I really don't want to make it seem as though there is anything "wrong" with the 16. It has it's merits. It IS less weight and easier to tow with some vehicles. It is also of course more maneuverable as well. It just depends on what you want. To me, the 19 was just more finished and left less to be desired or needed. No different than someone that has a 25 vs our 19. It has a lot more room and amenities, but for us, the benefits of having the smaller unit outweigh the extra room.

Here's a few pictures of our 16

Our 19 International:

GP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:40 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Awesome!
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:55 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Love the tips, and the motorcycles too. I use a Condor steel chock with quick mounts on the bed to hold the bikes; rock solid and you don't have to compress the forks so much when hauling. Also use a Big Boy single 9' folding ramp to load them.

Even though I have an 8' bed, the roll up bed cover takes up a foot, and the bikes don't fit with the tailgate closed unless I angle them. I like the idea of moving the tanks back so towing is possible when the tailgate is down. How hard is it to remove the batteries with the propane rack in the way?
Old 05-04-2014, 12:43 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Spokane , Washington
Beautiful pictures.
Shaggy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:15 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Gus,
Thanks for the info and the pictures. We will be stopping at a different dealer over July 4th and hopefully get to see the 19 and 22 there. DH sure likes the price on the 16, and we didn't really go for the 20 layout with the dinette on the aisle. But I really am interested in seeing the 19 in person, for all of the reasons you mentioned. In particular to see if we think its easier for a sleeping person to be hopped over if the other person needs to get out of bed.

Thanks again for the detailed info. I will be getting an additional week of vacation in 2016, so we are most likely not buying for a year or so, unless a great deal falls our way.

Saving my pennies in my piggy bank!

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:12 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Fantastic thread. Thanks for taking the time to summarize it.. I was wondering how you handled hauling and pumping your extra water so this was helpful.
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Great ideas, thanks for sharing!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I have been at campgrounds where tenters were forbidden to dump wash water on the ground, only at gray water dump stations. As has been said, I would hate to get to a fly infested primitive campsite caused by the lastcampers dumping gray water with food particles,etc, all over. If it is permitted okay, but many places it is not, and those who do it are being selfish. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:53 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Me View Post
Love the tips, and the motorcycles too. I use a Condor steel chock with quick mounts on the bed to hold the bikes; rock solid and you don't have to compress the forks so much when hauling. Also use a Big Boy single 9' folding ramp to load them.

Even though I have an 8' bed, the roll up bed cover takes up a foot, and the bikes don't fit with the tailgate closed unless I angle them. I like the idea of moving the tanks back so towing is possible when the tailgate is down. How hard is it to remove the batteries with the propane rack in the way?

You can't see them in the pics, by we have the same setup with the condor wheel chocks. Makes it really easy to load the bikes solo as well since you don't have to hold the bike up to strap down each side. Not to mention what you said about compressing the forks.

We have a fold-a-cover that we remove and leave inside the camper when we haul the bikes. When we get to where we're going we unload the bikes then put the cover back on. Having the lockable truck bed is a HUGE convenience.

To move the tanks back they welded brackets that put the tanks over the battery box. They painted everything the same as the rest of the trailer so it really looks as though it came that way. They made it so that you have to remove the tanks to get to the batteries, but being that we never really have to access the batteries, it's not that big a deal. Especially when you weigh the benefit of being able to tow with the gate down.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:55 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Gus,
Thanks for the info and the pictures. We will be stopping at a different dealer over July 4th and hopefully get to see the 19 and 22 there. DH sure likes the price on the 16, and we didn't really go for the 20 layout with the dinette on the aisle. But I really am interested in seeing the 19 in person, for all of the reasons you mentioned. In particular to see if we think its easier for a sleeping person to be hopped over if the other person needs to get out of bed.

Thanks again for the detailed info. I will be getting an additional week of vacation in 2016, so we are most likely not buying for a year or so, unless a great deal falls our way.

Saving my pennies in my piggy bank!

Hey when it comes to spending money, desperation and/or impatience never helps!!! Take your time. Good luck in your search.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:57 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
I have been at campgrounds where tenters were forbidden to dump wash water on the ground, only at gray water dump stations. As has been said, I would hate to get to a fly infested primitive campsite caused by the lastcampers dumping gray water with food particles,etc, all over. If it is permitted okay, but many places it is not, and those who do it are being selfish. Jim

Agreed. It's always up to the particular camper to do the right thing. Unfortunately not everyone is bright enough to not s#|t where they sleep.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:59 AM   #36
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
I have been curious about this as back in the day the grey water always got dumped in mother natures hands. When we started seriously camping again a few years ago we noticed the new sensitivity to it.

We always walked the "slop bucket" to the bathroom and dumped it in a stool if there was no utility sink. Is that the accepted norm still? Have not really been anywhere since we got the Sport yet where we had to worry about it, but we certainly will be and I don't wish to pull a faux pas.
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:49 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Have been to campgrounds where there were specific gray water only dump stations near the tent camping area. Note, gray water only. If a pee bottle is used at night it goes to the regular dump station. Jim
Old 05-05-2014, 05:56 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
We dump our gray water into the regular black water dump. Jim
Old 05-05-2014, 10:46 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
How to dry-camp forever (almost) and a few other tips....

On a brighter note.....
(Our current accommodations)
Old 05-05-2014, 11:26 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
ooh where is that?
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote