Old 05-04-2015, 03:14 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
How to clean stains from walls?

Our 22' Sport has a couple of dark stains on the front walls where the dinette cushions laid against the walls. It's the cloth wall coverings which look like maybe hair oil or something darkened the light-colored fabric.
I'm sure it's just glued to the aluminum wall I'm reluctant to use any type of spot remover that has solvent in it...
... Does anyone have a solution they've tried and worked well?

Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi

WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:53 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
2006 30' Classic
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I also have a few stains In the fabric on my trailer. I have tried cleaners and even paid a professional steam cleaner with no luck.
I was told that the stains were probably from the glue used to adhere the cloth to the walls.
firstwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Not sure if we are talking the same wall covering - ours has an off-white fuzzy material I think they call "Mouse fur" here on the forum.

We had a few water stains running down the wall covering from minor leaks at window frames (since fixed I hope!) and tried a little oxyclean on the stains and it worked well in that instance.

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
You may want to try an in expensive spray can of BRAKE CLEANER (bout 3 bucks) at W-mart...for impossible stains. I know it sure does work for decal glue.
AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:14 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2008 22' Safari
Yes, it's the light colored "mouse fur" wall covering that has a few grey stains. It looks like the dinette cushions might have had a greasy hand rested on top and the wall got a little dirty.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:46 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Blacksburg , Virginia
I have a 2005 safari with mouse fur. Have had excellent results using hydrogen peroxide mixed 50-50 with water. Wet a rag and dab the solution on the stain. let it sit for 15 minutes or so and then pat dry with a dry cloth. Repeat as needed. Works great on water stains.
Buzzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Our 'dark spots' are aluminum oxide wicking to the surface as there was some water leakage... I used a mild solution of clorox then used a shop vac to suck out the solution. We followed up with 'automotive' upholstery cleaner.. fantastic result... also, after using the cleaner, we followed up with some fresh, clean water to remove any residue...

On other spots, like grease, say on a headboard, we used the Oxy...instead of the clorox... but we had to do the whole area to maintain the shading.
Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
2001 25' Safari
Fair Oaks , California
Our AS has mouse fur wall coverings. Over the years, it was stained and dirty in a few places...around the windows where we open and close the curtains, and under windows from small leaks that have since been fixed. We own a Rug Doctor carpet cleaner with an upholstery cleaning attachment. I was able to get rid of the dirty areas using the upholstery cleaning fluid and attachment. And, for the stains I mixed a bit of bleach in a spray bottle with water (about 10% bleach to 90% water). I sprayed the bleach/water mixture on the stains, worked it in with the brush on the upholstery cleaner then vacuumed out all the moisture with the Rug Doctor. Stains are gone. You can rent a Rug Doctor carpet cleaner with an upholstery attachment if you don't own one. Our trailer has carpet too. I use the Rug Doctor to keep the carpet clean by shampooing it a couple of times a year. Works great, leaves very little moisture that dries quickly. I do this kind of work in the warmer months of summer so that everything dries quickly and completely.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:16 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
St Paul , MN
When I picked up my Safari from indoor storage this Spring, I noticed a dark black line on the mouse fur where it meets the metal bar on the floor/wall. I don't know how it got there I don't remember seeing that when I cleaned it to go into storage and the trailer was locked in storage - it's almost like it seeped through the fabric. Any idea on what this is?
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:02 AM   #11
Rivet Puller
2004 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Harsh chemicals (like brake cleaner) might remove the stains but will also destroy the glue bonding the "fur" to the wall. Oxi-clean will also delaminate the glue after repetitive use on the same spot. I use FOLEX professional carpet spot cleaner which works better than anything else I have tried over the years. The metallic stains from oxidation of the underlying aluminum will only get lighter, never totally removed.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:50 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2008 22' Safari
I'm THANKING everyone for their replies.

I don't think it's water leak stains, as it's not near windows or seams. It appears only at the exact edges and corners of the dinette cushions. The PO used it as an "office" so I'm guessing dirty hands or something of that nature. (This IS Texas, and I suspect an oil field worker etc. may have been a PO. For unfathomable reasons...I'm the 4th owner of this 2008 22' Sport. It's such a good layout I"m surprised it's gone thru so many owners. The immediately-PO was newly re-married and his bride hated the camping-out experience right away. I suspect it was because he was fairly "high-strung" and stressed her out while parking it in campsites. The owner prior to them was the office worker, and prior to that a single lady who developed wants for a longer trailer. She left copious notes on how to use the trailer...clearly well-intentioned and a careful owner, so I don't think it was her who stained it.)

I have a product I've used on other objects called "Spot Shot" which has proved very dependable on stains in autos, etc.. I got it at WM. It has a smell similar to Dry Cleaning fluid and I was concerned it might loosen the adhesive holding the mouse fur to the wall, so I've been reluctant.

I'll take some pics and then try it and post results. (Any more comments and suggestions are Welcome!)