Old 12-02-2019, 11:49 AM   #81
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by splat matt View Post
Yeah I’ve used this in the past, but... you cannot (or not suppose to) use them in slippery conditions: like rain, snow, etc. This is according to the directions by the manufacturer. Which to me, is when you want something like that.
If the rain or snow is bad enough to affect the anti-sway bar (causes understeer), then you will hopefully be going slowly enough (under 55 mph, or slower) that you don't need them anyway. Bad road conditions don't create sway, speed and poor loading do. On icy or snowy roads you may have a jack-knife situation develop where the trailer wants to pass your tow vehicle, but if that happens it is driver error by driving too fast for conditions.

Old 12-02-2019, 01:25 PM   #82
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
If the rain or snow is bad enough to affect the anti-sway bar (causes understeer), then you will hopefully be going slowly enough (under 55 mph, or slower) that you don't need them anyway. Bad road conditions don't create sway, speed and poor loading do. On icy or snowy roads you may have a jack-knife situation develop where the trailer wants to pass your tow vehicle, but if that happens it is driver error by driving too fast for conditions.
But, high crosswinds can cause sway; which is not uncommon in reference to inclement weather. Previously mentioned I pack/load meticulously and never exceeds a constant travel speed of 60; exceptions would include passing or other circumstantial events). For me, the friction anti-sway isn't justified.

splat matt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:32 PM   #83
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
Did a little research, doesnít include hitch ball or shank in weight 60lb
Attachment 357170
Thank-you.

I just returned from our Airstream dealer and he is just as perplexed. They have two 2020 Airstream 16RB units - that are identical: one has a cargo of 278, the other has a cargo of 370 (see pics). Almost 100lb difference and know reason. These only have one option available and that is solar.

Old 12-02-2019, 02:19 PM   #84
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Woodstock , New York
Quote:
QUOTE=Silvr_Bullet;2312636]Say you use an equalizer thatís at least 60 lbs with the head and tension bars assuming you have a solid steel drop hitch and not hollow core. An additional 20 -30 lbs with the Hensley Cub is worth the safety factor
A little about me:
Well, I only drive 60 because most trailer tires are not designed to go faster than that. I always measure and balance my trailer. Everything we use is stowed in duffle bags and labeled by category (see pics). I use a luggage scale to weigh each bag and I then know based on a baseline from a cat scale if I have 60/40 balance front to back on the trailer and my haulgauge OBD II device confirms my tongue weight (10%-15%) and trailer load. Having said all that, the Chevy trailer guide for my year and model states a WDH is not needed at 3500lbs or less and is optional at 3501 to 5000lbs. Being that this trailer's GVWR is 3500 technically I should be good to go. MY tongue supports 770lbs and the rear end doesn't even sag even with 250lbs trailer tongue and 150lbs cargo in the bed so WDH may not be necessary but the antisway aspect of a WDH system is intriguing as the friction base anti-sway are not suppose to be used in rain and slippery conditions.

TLDR;
To get to your point regarding weight and safety, I believe the total weight of the cubswift is 150lbs and at least 100lbs of that impact the trailers' cargo weight. If there is only 300lbs available on an empty trailer 300 - 100 = leaves me with only 200lbs for cargo and filling the water tanks is 240lbs. Now I am over GVWR so that 20-30 plus makes a huge difference.

I called Airstream, but being a Monday after a holiday week means the personnel that can actually answer these questions are still on holiday until tomorrow.]

On a side note:
I would like to thank everyone for the willingness to assist and input, it is helpful.

[/QUOTE]

I like those IKEA Bags with zippers, great idea. Iíam going to get some. Thanks!
Silvr_Bullet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:58 PM   #85
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post

I like those IKEA Bags with zippers, great idea. Iíam going to get some. Thanks!

The tags were made using nylon webbing;
- melted the ends to prevent fraying
- heated a nail to melt a hole in the webbing for the cable rings that attach to labels to zippers
- sharpie pen

Link to webbing:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KTVFBHG..._tiB5DbX0Q0XGC

Link to cable rings:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CLGTBFA...p_mob_ap_share
Old 12-02-2019, 09:09 PM   #86
1 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlidaho View Post
We spent 1.5 years towing with a Toyota Highlander with 3500 lb towing capacity - worked fine on flat roads and short hills. Had a lot of problems on steep grades and when we got into tighter boondock situations. Some of them a bit scary.
Don't intend a highjack of thread, but I will be towing a 67 Caravel (2340 lbs) with a 2019 Highlander (towing cpy 5000 lbs), does this sound OK to you or would it still be scary? Why were some of the situations boondocking scary? Now I'm worried...
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:18 PM   #87
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Woodstock , New York
How much Tow vehicle for a Sport 16rb?

Quote:
The tags were made using nylon webbing;
- melted the ends to prevent fraying
- heated a nail to melt a hole in the webbing for the cable rings that attach to labels to zippers
- sharpie pen

Link to webbing:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KTVFBHG..._tiB5DbX0Q0XGC

Link to cable rings:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CLGTBFA...p_mob_ap_share

Thanks splat matt. Nice work!

Silvr_Bullet is online now   Reply With Quote