Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2018, 05:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
How many traded the Sport 16 for the Sport 22?

I absolutely love the layout of the Sport 22... But the 16 would fit in my driveway better, be easier to store, tow, wouldn't require as big a TV (something I have been shopping for).

I had originally wanted the Airstream Interstate but decided a TV/TT combo would be better for me - if I was fine with the wet bath on that, I should probably be fine on the wet bath on the 16.

They both seem to sleep the same number of people. My situation would be mostly me and my son so the two beds is nice.

I'd be going on weekend trips and to camp grounds. Not full-timing so things like storage aren't too critical.

For the TV, I've narrowed down to the Ram 1500 with V8 engine or the GMC Canyon with V6 engine (and tow package so gets me up to 7,000 tow capacity).

Love the Ram 1500 but it is a BIG truck, and I think I'd be more comfortable driving and parking something smaller.

Just wondering if you started with the 16 and went up to the 22, why? and what are your circumstances that made the bigger rig better?

Thank you!
reverie room is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:19 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Bay Area , California
I have not traded up, but likely will get the 22 sport when my lifestyle permits more traveling and less working. I absolutely love the 16 because of the obvious. The size and gas efficiency. Most importantly, if it was any bigger I would not have gone on so many short trips. It would just seem too much of a hassle. I agree bigger is better depending on the use. Long term use, I'd go with the 22 or larger. If you go with a V8 TV, go bigger because you might as well. Just my opinion.
SkraDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
We have a 16' International that we have owned for 6 years now. In the past 12 months we've towed it some 20,000 miles and spent about 120 day in it.
Of course there are times when we'd like more space but for the most part, we love our Bambi and we intend on keeping it.
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_15bc.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	304780  
Old 02-23-2018, 06:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
A few things:

- Note that the Sport 22' is a foot narrower than the 16.' Aerodynamically, it's actually a bit easier to tow.

- Yep, you do need to watch the longer length when parking or backing into a campsite. But when I went from my 20' Argosy (same width as the 22') to my 23' (same width as the 16'), it made very little difference, technique-wise.

- This will get people mad, but whatever. As an automotive engineer, tester, and consultant, I've driven a lot of tow vehicles. I'd rather tow either of the trailers you're talking about with a Honda Ridgeline than a Colorado/Canyon, despite the tow rating differences. The GM's 3.6-liter and the 6-speed's gearing isn't optimized for towing, so you need to work it pretty hard. It feels sluggish. (Note: the new 8 speed might be better. I hope it is.)

On the other hand, I've towed my 23' (4700 pounds dry, 5500 pounds fully loaded) with a new Ridgeline. I was right at the limit of the RL's rating, but pulled it very, very easily and handled the trailer like a champ. I actually didn't even miss my Durango with its Hemi V8.

Yes, everyone will say "You'll eventually get a bigger trailer, and then you'll need a bigger truck, so buy a bigger truck to begin with." But - it sounds like you'd like a smaller trailer for parking at home anyway, so you're not going to be wedging a 30-footer there anytime soon. And the Ridgeline's resale makes it pretty painless to sell.

In the meantime, you will have the most comfortable, versatile in everyday life, and best driving truck you can buy. (And I don't work for or sell Hondas.)

Tom
Old 02-23-2018, 07:28 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Only owned our 22 Sport since last year. We looked at the wider 19 on the dealer lot and decided the 22FB bathroom suited us much better. So it was an easy choice for us. Our TV is a Toyota v6 4Runner and it has no difficulty pulling the 22.

The 22, being narrower, is a dream to tow. It slips through the wind and the equalizer hitch actually balances the stiff shocks of the TV. I prefer to drive the TV with the 22 attached.

The narrower width of the 22 means I didn’t need to buy rear view mirrors. The stock mirrors are fine. We did buy the rear camera.

That said, we really like and prefer the amenities of the 22 Sport and the light weight is a huge savings on having to switch to a V8 TV.
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
We went from a 16 Sport to a 19 (not 22) International, but not without some regrets.

The 16 is well-designed, and I liked that.

I'd have liked it better if Airstream had installed a smaller microwave. Just warming up or cooking small stuff, not a turkey. It dominated the galley, was eye-level, so appeared to take up more space than it really did, and it kind of got in the way.

This was a 2016. Newer 16s might have a different arrangement.

Wet bath, which some don't like, was no problem for us.

Biggest issue was whoever slept against the far wall had to climb over the other if nature called in the middle of the night.

We like the little bit of extra space in the 19. Only three feet longer, but seems twice as big.

Though I still sometimes wish we had stayed with the 16, we like the 19 a lot.

I can't imagine we'd want to trade up again to a larger one. We are not big on lounging around inside, so space in the 19 fits us well.

You might find the 22-footer to be the same ... plenty big.

When camping, we are usually outside exploring or just hanging around and enjoying camp life.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:15 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
just wanted to thank you all for sharing your thoughts.

My son and I were able to make it down to Colonial Airstream where they fortunately had every possible model we could have been interested in on their lot. I wasn't really looking to be in the price category of the Int'l or the FC but we toured them anyway, just to be complete in our research.

We focused mainly on the Sport 22 and the Sport 16. We hung around in them both for quite a while. I was tired from getting on the road early and driving down from Massachusetts so I laid on the bed for a while in each of them for a bit of rest. I found both beds to be extremely comfortable.

I greatly prefer the bigger bed in the 22 and also the bathroom in the 22. I liked the banquette seating better in the 16 as the windows surrounding it are so nice and we both thought the seats themselves were a little bit more comfortable in the 16. The separate gray and black tanks in the 22 seem like a better idea. The narrower width of the 22 seemed better as well.

In the end, my son talked me into the 16. He preferred it. Felt it was enough for us and he couldn't justify the extra $$ for the 22. The shorter length will be helpful in the driveway and the cost savings is appreciated as well. If I were shopping on my own, I probably would have gone for the 22 but having my son along was really helpful and I appreciated his thoughts on the matter. We put a deposit on one! We are excited. It is a 2018 Sport 16 with solar and back up camera.

Now to find the TV. So far, I have test driven a Ram 1500 (both Sport and Longhorn, new and used). As well as a Used Colorado, New Canyon and New Tundra. I didn't love the way the Tundra drove. Felt very truckish. I liked the way the Ram Longhorn drove best.

There is a 2013 Ram Longhorn crew cab V8 close by to me with low miles. It has some nice upgrades that I thought might be nice, for instance the Ram boxes lining both sides. Thought for storing and organizing things it would be nice vs. having them rattle around in the back. It has the Tow package which gives the better mirrors as well as brake control. Currently the price on it is about $3k more than I want to spend but maybe if it sits for a while they will come down a bit in price. In the meantime, I'm going to continue looking at other models. I am leaning toward the full size truck thinking that the seats in back are a bit bigger and more comfy for the kids. And also, the back seats fold up and the platform that folds out flat would make a great spot for an air mattress if we need to sleep one more person.

I like the idea of the smaller TV for daily life but the larger TV for utility purposes. When I've been in the drop off and pick up line at my kid's school, I've been observing some full size pick up trucks and how they seem to come and go with ease. Of all the daily driving I do, the school drop off / pick up is the most stressful as it is just a sh*t show of cars and pedestrians in a tight space. I guess seeing the other trucks in action in this particular scenario is helpful. If they can do it, I should be able to as well.

The camper isn't in yet so I have a bit of time to figure out the TV. I haven't test driven the 2013 Ram yet. The other used Ram I drove was a 2016 (also low miles) but just way too much $$ for my budget. They say Rams hold their value least of all in terms of pickup trucks but given the prices I am seeing that does not seem to be the case! I'm going to be patient and keep looking. I had hoped to buy a used Airstream to save a little money but that is not what I did so I really am determined to not overspend on the TV.

Thank you again!
Old 02-24-2018, 06:15 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
sparks , Nevada
You may consider checking out the gm full-size trucks with the 5.3 gas engine. We use them at work for pilot car trucks and have had that engine in various others like Yukon’s over the years. They have been extremely reliable for us. Most were around 250k miles before we got rid of them and only had to change some minor parts like front wheel bearings at 150k and some brakes.
SteveSrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:13 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Springboro , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
A few things:

- Note that the Sport 22' is a foot narrower than the 16.' Aerodynamically, it's actually a bit easier to tow.

- Yep, you do need to watch the longer length when parking or backing into a campsite. But when I went from my 20' Argosy (same width as the 22') to my 23' (same width as the 16'), it made very little difference, technique-wise.

- This will get people mad, but whatever. As an automotive engineer, tester, and consultant, I've driven a lot of tow vehicles. I'd rather tow either of the trailers you're talking about with a Honda Ridgeline than a Colorado/Canyon, despite the tow rating differences. The GM's 3.6-liter and the 6-speed's gearing isn't optimized for towing, so you need to work it pretty hard. It feels sluggish. (Note: the new 8 speed might be better. I hope it is.)

On the other hand, I've towed my 23' (4700 pounds dry, 5500 pounds fully loaded) with a new Ridgeline. I was right at the limit of the RL's rating, but pulled it very, very easily and handled the trailer like a champ. I actually didn't even miss my Durango with its Hemi V8.

Yes, everyone will say "You'll eventually get a bigger trailer, and then you'll need a bigger truck, so buy a bigger truck to begin with." But - it sounds like you'd like a smaller trailer for parking at home anyway, so you're not going to be wedging a 30-footer there anytime soon. And the Ridgeline's resale makes it pretty painless to sell.

In the meantime, you will have the most comfortable, versatile in everyday life, and best driving truck you can buy. (And I don't work for or sell Hondas.)

Tom
In reply to Tom, (Mutcth) you just made my day. We have a 2018 Ridgeline AWD that I LOVE. It’s my commuter vehicle, and we have a 22fb Sport arriving in April. I am very concerned that long trips (300 mile or more) would be stressful on the vehicle especially if there were a lot of steep climbs and descents. I’d be using a brake controller and equalizer wd hitch. Sounds like I should be ok.
I have 2 questions: do you have a brake controller, and how do you mount it? Looking for a method that doesn’t require drilling and permanent mounting, sort of like Velcro... also, being a single axle trailer, do you have any safety concerns with the Ridgeline’s ability to maintain control in the event of a blowout?
Sorry to wander off topic a bit..
Rubeyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we have the 22Fb and would not go to a smaller one

as said, its a foot slimmer

it is EASILY towed by our modest audi q5

note, sway control and weight distribution is a MUST
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
[QUOTE...
I have 2 questions: do you have a brake controller, and how do you mount it? Looking for a method that doesn’t require drilling and permanent mounting, sort of like Velcro... also, being a single axle trailer, do you have any safety concerns with the Ridgeline’s ability to maintain control in the event of a blowout?
Sorry to wander off topic a bit..[/QUOTE]

we have a Tekonsha proigy P3 - brake controller- no issue. make sure they set ip up with YOUR trailer to ensure the brakes are set. it takes min max

also get a proper sway control. many brands on the maaket

do get curved tapered bars and not square bars
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:32 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
I placed a (refundable) deposit on a used Ram 1500 this weekend. I don't know what it is about that truck. I just love it.

I called my brother on the way back from the dealership to get what I thought would be support. He has owned many pickup trucks of varying sizes, etc. -- He said he got rid of his last one because it was just so big parking at work, in their driveway, etc. -- He said he misses his Honda Ridgeline though! So then I come on here and see all of this support for the Honda Ridgeline (a sign??... this is a vehicle I did not test drive) .... makes me think to be complete in my search, I should check it out.

So glad I decided on the trailer - that was tough enough. Now just the TV.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:10 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Springboro , Ohio
Very impressed with the winter handling of my RL. 34 mile commute each way and it handled beautifully in every condition. Extremely comfortable to drive. Not bad to sleep in, either!

Name:	89906F89-83F5-46C4-9E0D-04105DF73A46.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	396.2 KB
ID:	305004
Old 02-26-2018, 06:47 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubeyjj View Post
I used a Prodigy P2 that I had laying around the house (for some reason, I own 3 brake controllers.) Bought a $6 pigtail off of Amazon for the original RL that works fine with the new one; just wire that onto the harness for the Prodigy.

Since I had borrowed the truck from my then-work's fleet (I used to test cars for Consumer Reports before becoming a freelance consultant), I just heavy-duty velcroed the controller on the top of the dashboard next to the driver's side A-pillar.

A better solution (and the one I use in my Durango): get a DirecLink brake controller. It plugs into the OBD2 port, so it can immediately sense that the car is braking and can better modulate trailer brake pressure. Because of that design (it doesn't need to be parallel in-line with the vehicle), the controller module can be mounted anywhere. Expensive, but smooth braking and great customer service (my display burnt out, and they promptly fixed it, out of warranty.)

Stability? Well, the RL has a rather long wheelbase, low center-of-gravity, on-road biased tires, independent rear suspension, and a short rear overhang. Those are all beneficial for trailer control. I was impressed with the trailer manners, even though I had just swapped in my Eaz-Lift and single friction sway control without making any adjustments from my Durango set-up. A well-tuned set-up would be a joy. (BTW, a Honda Pilot SUV doesn't handle as well as the Ridgeline - it's not tuned as well.)

For what it's worth, I towed single axle trailers for 20,000 miles using a Honda Odyssey with no control issues (or blowouts, for that matter.) I wanted a little more power pulling over the Rockies, but it was OK. (The new Ridgeline has a lot more grunt, and gets 2 mpg better when towing than my Durango.)

Hope this helps.

Tom
Old 02-26-2018, 04:53 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Springboro , Ohio
This is terrific information! You’ve eased my mind and I’ll definitely explore that brake controller option. Feel very good moving forward, and today I got word my 22fb is coming off the line April 10th. Thanks to everyone who indulged my off topic questions!
Old 03-01-2018, 03:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Reverie Room,... I know that most owners of whatever-TV-they-have is in love with it... but I've owned GM/Chevy/Ford trucks and SUVs of various makes... My 1500 Ram CrewCab w/Ramboxes is the Cat's MEOW for runnin' around OR towing an Airstream. I love the 22' Sport also.
The Ramboxes are a lot more useful than most realize. I have one side filled with tools, including a 3-gallon hot-dog aircompressor which serves to drive the air-trainhorns (helps move little ol' ladies thru the cross-walks and encourages those contemplating pulling out in front of a TowVehicle/Airstream combo to just sit a bit longer in contemplation)... and can actually air up a flat tire without waiting all day for it. It's a 120v unit that's served by the Ram onboard inverter....all wired/plumbed into the Rambox. I never have to take the air compressor out .... the 25' airhose is in there with it.
Anyway... that's a good illustration of how those Ramboxes help out. They're waterproof also.
A good bed-tonnaue cover is something you might also consider. I really like the Bakflip G2 model. I watched a video of a guy trying to break into one with a crowbar and he damaged the truck and cover...but failed to get inside. It's waterproof also and I keep my folding chairs, generator, hoses, BBQ grill, hoses, etc under it while travelling. It will also support several hundred pounds on top of it while it's deployed, just if needed.
You'll enjoy that Ram, I promise.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:23 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
I bought a TV.. Ram 1500

Hi Boxite,
I am joining you as a fellow Ram 1500 owner!
Here's the thing though ... I was looking at two, one older with more miles and some dings and wear and tear BUT it came with the ram boxes and already had the brake controller. Then there was the newer one, a 2016 with fewer miles and essentially looks brand new, was obviously babied, still has a little bit of new car smell. But no Ram boxes and I'll have to add the brake controller.

I ended up buying the newer one. Now reading your message, I am given pause. I suspected the Ram Boxes would be extremely useful... I was a bit concerned about the dings and scratches though since you're buying the truck but also someone's driving and towing history.

I guess there's no looking back now.

I wanted the older one at a better discount and the dealer wouldn't budge. I had tabled buying either as I wanted to spend less. On the last day of February the dealer for the newer one called with another $750 off bringing their discount from the original sales price to $6150. I love this truck. It rides like a dream. Here are some pictures. Sorry for the sideways pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2786.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	366.5 KB
ID:	305220   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2784.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	326.6 KB
ID:	305221  

Name:	IMG_2789.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	305222   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2790.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	305223  

Old 03-02-2018, 06:34 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
The RamBox option is simply a brilliant addition to a truck. You have no idea just how useful an addition it is until you have lived with it for awhile.
It is that good...
Bruce
Old 03-02-2018, 08:04 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Reverie Room, ... Congrats on the new Ram! It makes an excellent TV. The Bakflip is something you'll definitely enjoy now. If you're adding-on a brake controller, you might consider the Hopkins "Insight" unit. (It's actually marketed under several different brand-names but Hopkins is an easy version to find. Walmart sells them for $79.)

This unit is unique in several ways:
1-It is actually 3 components which may be mounted in convenient optional ways that make it much more useful than most others I've used. It consists of the main cpu, which contains an accelerometer, inertia-sensor, and "brain" (electronics),... a manual controller (small box with thumb-lever so you can manually apply brakes should you desire just like any other but in a more convenient module), ... and a display, a small 1.5" monitor which may be mounted anywhere so it can be conveniently seen without being hidden down below the dash like most others that require the driver to take his eyes off the road.
2- I mounted my cpu below/beside the left kickpanel...on the same bracket the emerg/foot-brake is mounted. I mounted my contoller on the lower-dash below the ignition/by my right-knee (I'm right-handed and can quickly operate the trailer brakes without looking for it). I mounted my monitor on top of the dash, at the base of the the left doorpost, just below the grab-handle, above the ac-vent. (They provide double-side tape as well as screws....I used the screws....easy matter.) I can use peripheral vision to see how much brake is being applied at any time.
3- The CPU is smart.... it knows how hard and how fast you applied the truck-brake, senses the rate-of-deceleration, and applies the trailer brakes accordingly to prevent any jack-knife, push-on-the-truck, or excessive skidding of trailer-tires. The monitor confirms the trailer/cpu are communicating and signals are valid automatically when you plug the 7-way into the TV with a small indicator in the screen. It also digitally indicates during braking the percentage of trailer-brake capacity being used at any given moment, and when you come to a stop... it relieves trailer-braking so you don't continue to heat your trailer-brake magnets needlessly (and indicates that as well by showing "0" brake-applied even tho' you're sitting at the redlight with the truck-brakes applied.) If you are on an incline, it continues to hold 5% trailer-braking to prevent overheating of magnets yet also prevent the trailer from burdening the TV.
It was a bit intimidating at first when I considered installation... but as I thought about it... it occurred to me that it's actually easier than others because it solved the problem of a bulky-box sitting at my knees and where? to locate that bulky-box.? The monitor and manual-controller are both small an unobtrusive yet conveniently locate-able for your personal preferences.
Don't just blindly accept all the hoopla about Tekonsha etc without also considering this Insight unit. I've used the others and while the P2/P3 is a good unit(s)... IMO, the Insight is a much cleaner installation and a very smart/programmable unit.
Hope this helps.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hopkins-I...ntrol/45016278

Addendum: When you open the drivers-side door.... notice the flat plastic end-panel facing the open door (above the foot-brake). Simply pull that panel smartly...don't worry, you won't hurt anything... that panel covers/hides access to the electrics you'll use to install a brake controller. Also, with a sharp knife-point, remove the small plug/covers from the left doorpost/grab-handle area and you can unscrew the handle/doorpost-cover, to run the wires up to the monitor. Easy-Peasy install.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:58 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Boxite,
Thank you for the brake controller education! I had thought to get the integrated controller added since there is the open slot for it on the dash board but after calling a dealer yesterday, I think that is about a $500 item. Not something I'd expected and a bit much. the $79 one you mention seems to be feature laden - not something i would likely have discovered on my own, so thank you.

Can I ask what hitch you like?

I spent hours earlier today reading threads to learn more. Since you've got the same truck perhaps your have a suggestion? I think you've got a larger TT though so maybe what you have wouldn't be good for me?