Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2007, 06:55 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2007 19' Bambi
Midland , Texas
Hitch Ball question

Hey everyone.
Does anyone know the required hitch ball diameter/size for the 2007 Bambi 75th Anniversary Edition?
We're heading to pick up our new aluminum and I thought I'd better check this particular item before we leave.
Thanks for your help.
racoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
The frame is the same as on my 19CCD I believe. I use a 2-5/16" ball. Yours should be the same, as are all newer Airstreams.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:39 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2007 19' Bambi
Midland , Texas
Thanks Lew.
Somehow I knew I had the wrong size. Quick trip to U-Haul before we hit the road then.
I really appreciate your help.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Have a 'BALL"........

Sorry, just couldn't resist!!!
Old 04-25-2007, 07:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Racoco -- Make sure you get something close to a 10,000# rated ball. It may be more heavy duty than what U-Haul has, but then that's only guessing. An RV dealer should have one and I'd almost think your Airstream dealer would too. The shank is huge compared to a normal ball and this is what it takes to fit in weight distributing hitches. The shank is larger than the biggest part of your thumb. Have an awesome ride!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:06 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2007 19' Bambi
Midland , Texas
Bob -- Thanks for the tip. As many times as I have looked at it, I can't remember... does the 19' Bambi come with a weight distribution setup? I'm going to find the larger ball; just curious at this point.

Our tow vehicle is rated above all the weights I've got for the 19-footer, so I never really thought about weight distribution. Sway control I'll have to work on.

And Lew... I wouldn't have passed on the pun either; but I'm the one that set that one up.

Thanks guys.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Congratulations on your new Airstream.

Unless your dealer threw one in with the deal, you're going to have to purchase the weight distrubution system. I would strongly reccomend getting one before you tow your new Airstream. I already had one for my 68 Trade Wind, but as part of the orientation my dealer offered to hook it up and make the necessary adjustments for the Bambi.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Have a 'BALL"........

Sorry, just couldn't resist!!!
Is it too late to throw in 'bollocks' ... Where can I buy some of this resistance stuff?

Racoco -- WD & antisway are strongly advised regardless of the size or capacities of your tow vehicle. If you leave it to the dealer they'll probably put on some off brand gear. 'Less expensive' may even get you a friction antisway that requires continuing adjustment (PITA) and may lose effectiveness in wet conditions. Weight distribution and antisway come in the same apparatus. A member recently posted that lighter Equal-I-Zer bars are hard to come by for smaller Airstreams. My experience and others is that the Reese HP (high performance) Dual Cam is hard to beat. Give your dealer a call -- if not on hand I'm sure they could have it from a regional supplier in a day or two.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I use the 600# bars on my Equal-I-Zer for my 19CCD. Works GREAT! In fact, the van rides BETTER hooked up than by itself!

When you look for a ball, get a 1-1/4"shank. They have the highest weight ratings. Overkill here is good thing .
Old 04-26-2007, 06:14 AM   #10
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by racoco
Hey everyone.
Does anyone know the required hitch ball diameter/size for the 2007 Bambi 75th Anniversary Edition?
We're heading to pick up our new aluminum and I thought I'd better check this particular item before we leave.
Thanks for your help.
First off-welcome!
I'm going to chime in also; I hope you get more than just a "ball" before you hook up. All of the above posts are true. You didn't say what your TV is but, anti-sway and WD are always a good idea and may even be mandatory based on TV specs. You would not want to leave the dealer with your new Bambi and end up in the ditch a mile later (it happens).
I use an Equalizer.
Best of lick, Bill
Old 05-04-2007, 08:04 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Congrats racoco!

Nice to fine another 75th owner on here!

We have the 600lb equalizer and have been quite happy with it. Doesn't interfer with the propane line either which I gather is an issue with some setups.

Enjoy! Look forward to hearing how the 75th works out for you.

Cheers

Dave
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2007 bambi