Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2014, 09:03 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Paradise , Texas
Help with furnace

Hello again...another newbie question. We really enjoyed our first night in the new AS. Still trying to figure things out though. Temps dipped into the 40s so we thought we would switch the furnace on, but can't figure out how. It is an Atwood Hydro Flame. No directions or owners manual,just a little piece of paper that says there is an Off lever and temp setting. Everything is manual. It does not appear that the plastic Off lever on the top right of the thermostat is designed to move. Tried but afraid I will snap it off. Tried adjusting the temp slider on the bottom of the thermostat and hear a click but no blower and can't hear anything lighting anywhere. I believe it is auto light for the pilot. Can't find anything online. What am I doing wrong??? I wasn't there for the walk through and DH doesn't remember.
Texasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
It sounds like the same setup we have. The little on/off lever on the thermostat is VERY stiff, but it will move from the off to the on position. I was afraid ours might break the first time I used it, but it survived. It has remained stiff for the 10 years we've owned the Airstream. This isn't a guarantee yours won't snap off.... just sharing my experience. My best guess is that you'll be just fine moving the little lever.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I too hesitated to push hard on that switch. It will move but just a very small way, then you will hear a click to know you were successful.
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:01 AM   #4
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
I can only guess it is so stiff as a design feature so it won't inadvertantly turn on. Ours was really hard to move also. Also be aware the first time the heater comes on you will also think it is burning the trailer down! All the accumulated dust in it burns off releasing an awful smell for a few minutes. Power vent the stench for a couple and you will be fine.
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Paradise , Texas
Thanks everyone! Finally got it to budge and was toasty warm all night
Texasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote