Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2017, 06:14 AM   #1
roguebooks

2018 16' Sport
Melbourne , Florida
Help w/new 2018 Sport 16

We put a deposit on a 2018 Sport 16 and will be taking delivery around November 1. After months of research and looking firsthand at many brands including the LGMax, T@B 320's, T@B400, Eggcamper, and the Armadillo, the final decision came down between the Oliver Elite 18.5 and this Airstream Sport 16. More to come later as we actually use it and can add something other than fantasy and hope.

Planning ahead, I have a few questions I hope somebody here can help me with. The trailer did not come with the solar package option (which I am glad of) but I do need to know the very best solar suitcase I should purchase to plug-in and play in the sun while our new little "cabin" sits in the shade, and why that particular one?

We are going to try trailering at first without the no-sway and WD hitch as our TV is a white Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 and I want to make sure its no-sway WD technology doesn't interfere with any added-on system. I do have a brake controller installed already. But if we do opt for a no-sway and WD hitch, which one is best suited to this particular trailer and truck?

I have learned through my research that the best and safest option for hauling our two bikes is using a dual hitch receiver and mounting the bike rack behind my tailgate. Anyone know which one of these I should buy, and if so, will it interfere (or not work) with the no-sway hitch apparatus if I end up needing one? The sales rep tells me the bikes will not be a problem mounted this way when turning.

The sales rep also tells me that the Sport 16 is reportedly easy to see around with standard side mirrors, but if I do need better side mirrors what are the best (and best looking) mirrors for this truck and trailer combo?
roguebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebooks View Post
The sales rep also tells me that the Sport 16 is reportedly easy to see around with standard side mirrors, but if I do need better side mirrors what are the best (and best looking) mirrors for this truck and trailer combo?
Ha! They are all about putting all of your resistance and concerns at ease to close the deal. Yes, the Sport narrow bodies (or is that medium body, as the Sport 22FB is narrower by ~9") are easier to see around than the wide body counterparts. The trailer is still 8' wide, and I believe your Tacoma is 7' wide...so that doesn't seem to give much mirror beyond the edge of the trailer.

You can look at etrailer.com for mirror options, I have no experience with a Tacoma. There are universal options that may work for you, or there may be model specific mirror extensions you can get.

I think any concern over the mechanical/friction anti-sway and your truck's electronic stability control is likely unfounded, one tries (mechanical) to prevent the sway (proactive), the other detects sway that is happening (reactive) and tries to mitigate it.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:41 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Sheridan , California
We traded our T@B in for a 16' Sport in May. Never looked back. Our 80 watt Zamp solar panels work great on the Sport, there's a plug-in specifically for Zamp portable panels already on the tongue. Make sure you include an extension cord for the panels so you can follow the sun better. We can recharge the battery by noon each day.
Our TV is a 2011 Toyota 4Runner and I would recommend getting a WD hitch right away. The ride is much smoother and safer.
We also got clamp on mirrors and they allow you to see the other lanes much better. They clamp to the top rim of existing mirrors and are teardrop shaped.
Airabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Solar ... great question. I have the same interest and look forward to the responses.

I tow my Sport 16 without a WD hitch.

I do have a friction sway bar, but my Suburban is 13 years old and lacks any of the new anti-sway stuff built in.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:44 AM   #5
roguebooks

2018 16' Sport
Melbourne , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
Solar ... great question. I have the same interest and look forward to the responses.

I tow my Sport 16 without a WD hitch.

I do have a friction sway bar, but my Suburban is 13 years old and lacks any of the new anti-sway stuff built in.
I think I am going to try towing first without it. I wonder if I just get one 80 watt Zamp panel, or more? Unclear.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:47 AM   #6
roguebooks

2018 16' Sport
Melbourne , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airabel View Post
We traded our T@B in for a 16' Sport in May. Never looked back. Our 80 watt Zamp solar panels work great on the Sport, there's a plug-in specifically for Zamp portable panels already on the tongue. Make sure you include an extension cord for the panels so you can follow the sun better. We can recharge the battery by noon each day.
Our TV is a 2011 Toyota 4Runner and I would recommend getting a WD hitch right away. The ride is much smoother and safer.
We also got clamp on mirrors and they allow you to see the other lanes much better. They clamp to the top rim of existing mirrors and are teardrop shaped.
So just one 80 watt panel does the trick, or more? I am going to try towing first without the WD. The Tacoma is quite a bit bigger than the 4-Runner and can handle more weight, so we'll see. I looked at the clamp-on mirrors and will get them, if needed. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Mirrors ... towing the 16 behind my Suburban, I could barely see what was going on in the other lane behind me.

Stock mirrors were not doing the job.

I found some that slip onto the stocks. Work great, and look like they belong.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
I went with some universal mirrors, I tried another type before hand but they would just slip off of my aero mirrors on my Audi. I ended up with the "Dometic DM-2912 Milenco Grand Aero3 Towing Mirror" sold as a twin pack with a carrying bag from Amazon. They are adequate, but would be nice to have a bit more width on the passenger side. I may end up going with a door mount mirror like the CIPA 11650 (also on Amazon), but I like that the Aero3 mirror doesn't rub on the paint like a door mount mirror might.

Weight distribution hitches exist to put weight (traction) back on the front axle of your vehicle...vehicle ESC/TSC won't work very well if the front end is too light and lacks adequate traction to respond. I'm not going to spend anytime arguing for which brand/model of hitch to go with, you can get that in spades within the towing discussion area...but i will encourage you to make sure your vehicle has adequate weight on the front axle to respond in reduced traction scenarios, understeer is not a fun event with a trailer. Reduced traction could be anything from wet pavement, to packed gravel road, to snow/ice.

On the towing mirror piece, you may want to look at the state regulations for the states you wish to visit. Some of them have very strict rules on how effective your mirrors must be when towing.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:47 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Angeles , Washington
Had a T@B also, traded for a 16, oops then for a 22'. Kinda a disease.
We have a 2015 Tacoma with tow and pulled the 16 without WD and had no probs. Now we have a Blue Ox WD for the 22. I installed these tow mirrors and like them lots. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...irrors.244365/
Llittle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:54 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Anchorage , Alaska
Good morning, I have a newer Tacoma (V6, 4 dr , short bed)
I have logged a good number of miles in Alaska with a 4 yr old Bambi 16. The roads up here are 'irregular' in nature due to freeze thaw cycles, requiring 'driving' not just cruising down the road and towing with the WD hitch is by far more stable.
Enjoy!
spaceship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:34 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Burlington , Vermont
Backup Cam

Hello and Congrats in advance of your decision to buy an Airstream!

I have a Voyager wireless backup/observation cam on my setup with a 19' AS. I have towing mirrors on my F-150 TV but you could never convince me to tow without a cam on the back of my AS even if my AS was a bit narrower. It is so nice to be able to see directly behind the AS even when I'm going forward! I like knowing if there is some Bozo tailgating me or if I am holding up traffic as I slow down or stop to enjoy the scenery. It's all about SAFETY and keeping the stress of towing to a minimum! Enjoy your adventure!!!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:58 AM   #12
roguebooks

2018 16' Sport
Melbourne , Florida
Had to cancel my order for the 2018 Sport 16 due to city ordinance restrictions in my neighborhood. Now we need a better plan. Looks like we'll have to wait a bit longer to hit the road. Thanks to all for the help. I will let you know what we end up doing. Disappointment reigns supreme here today in Florida.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
I assume you have restrictions on being able to park the trailer at your residence? Some places, especially anywhere with home owner associations, are pretty strict on it. Thankfully I don't (nor would I ever) live in a place with an HOA, though I have historic district rules...but they don't impact anything but the 100+ year old house. The city does technically have rules against "storing" a trailer on the street, however there are many of us around the neighborhood with them during season. I am currently investigating options for off-site storage, it does prove to be an extra challenge and quite a variation in expense.

Hope you are able to find a solution, in the mean time you could shop for a lightly used one and save a bundle like we did
Old 09-21-2017, 04:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llittle54 View Post
Had a T@B also, traded for a 16, oops then for a 22'. Kinda a disease.
We have a 2015 Tacoma with tow and pulled the 16 without WD and had no probs. Now we have a Blue Ox WD for the 22. I installed these tow mirrors and like them lots. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...irrors.244365/
Yes, I had installed those mirrors for a smaller trailer when I had a Tacoma. They are great mirrors. You WILL need mirrors.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:06 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebooks View Post
Had to cancel my order for the 2018 Sport 16 due to city ordinance restrictions in my neighborhood. Now we need a better plan. Looks like we'll have to wait a bit longer to hit the road. Thanks to all for the help. I will let you know what we end up doing. Disappointment reigns supreme here today in Florida.
Look for the closest storage facility to your home. Most have areas for storing RV's, trailers, boats, etc. Usually it is acceptable to park your trailer in front of your home the night or two before a trip and a night or two after, to pack, unpack, etc.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:34 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

LAGUNA HILLS , California
We just picked up our 2017 16 footer a few months ago. We are towing with a Range Rover HSE and the stock mirrors are fine. I did get a hensley swift cub which made a huge difference in the wind (coachella valley on the way to Octillo in CA). People say its overkill....which is absolute BS. There is no overkill with safety......
simspt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:18 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We also store our trailer at a storage facility

If you do end up exploring this I recommend a gated 24 hour access with a location not necessarily closest to where you live. Ours is on the edge of the metro. This means we drive to the trailer through metro traffic, hook up, and then leave town without having to tow through much traffic.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:54 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Parker , Colorado
Installed 80w Zamp on roof of 2017 16' Sport. Easy install and connection. Need a charge controller as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170507_142040153.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	289.2 KB
ID:	295311   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170507_131957860.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	295312  

n2mp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:07 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Lakeridge , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2mp60 View Post
Installed 80w Zamp on roof of 2017 16' Sport. Easy install and connection. Need a charge controller as well.

Do you know what the grey thing between the vent and the AC is? I'm pretty sure I don't have one on my 2015.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:30 AM   #20
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Do you know what the grey thing between the vent and the AC is? I'm pretty sure I don't have one on my 2015.
That is the Zamp outlets for pre-wired solar.