Old 08-09-2016, 03:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
"HELP"Question about Segment Protectors

Hi to all of you Air Streamers.

We have a new 2016 16 1/2' Sport Bambi. They do not come with the Chrome Rock Shields or Segment Protectors I guess is the correct term.
My question is , Has anyone installed these on their Bambi and is it a difficult task? Where purchased?
I have looked through all the Threads on the Bambi's and see nothing listed.
We have taken her on a couple of trips and starting to see damage where they would go.
Help Please~!

Old 08-09-2016, 03:15 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
stratford , Connecticut
We had the segment protectors installed on our 2012 16 ft Bambi. We noticed we were getting a lot of dings on the front panels. We had it done at the dealers, about $1300 including installation. We felt it was worth protecting our investment.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
That would be a dealer item from the factory.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:54 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnal View Post
We had the segment protectors installed on our 2012 16 ft Bambi. We noticed we were getting a lot of dings on the front panels. We had it done at the dealers, about $1300 including installation. We felt it was worth protecting our investment.

I checked with the Dealer and they would have to order them at $870 total for both sides. Am thinking that I could install them myself with a bit of knowledge from someone that has the experience. Then again, maybe not! Worth a try for saving $500.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:05 PM   #5
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , Ontario
We considered getting them for our trailer, but decided to wait and see. If the time comes to sell the trailer and there are a lot of dents from stones, I can install them then and the front of the trailer will look perfect for resale, otherwise I have saved over $1,000.
WBCCI #6497

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:48 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
We have them being installed right now. Installation is least of cost- about 2 hrs labor - $200-300. Protectors were factory list less 15%
discount from our dealer- around $750. As service manager said installer must be careful because not a second chance to drill holes.

We were getting small dings also. The 3M mask doesn't do much good protecting against stones.

We also picked up a new stainless propane bottle box from a member on this site for about half the factory cost.
*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:33 PM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
While you are trying to decide, you might tape some cardboard on the panels. two or three layers would work. We saw this done to protect the SST protection panels. Some folks go the extra mile. Some folks use it and understand there will be a ding or two.

Lots of solutions and lots of alternatives. Travel safe. Pat
Old 08-09-2016, 06:54 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
While you are trying to decide, you might tape some cardboard on the panels. two or three layers would work. We saw this done to protect the SST protection panels. Some folks go the extra mile. Some folks use it and understand there will be a ding or two.

Lots of solutions and lots of alternatives. Travel safe. Pat

That's a good tip and is what I will do until they start making them again for this model. Tried to order them but said that Jackson, Ohio plant showed zero in stock. We are heading out west from here in northern Wisc. after Labor day for about 4 or 5 weeks, so will try the cardboard trick that you suggested. Will put some plastic cover over it to help keep out the rain. Thanks
Old 08-09-2016, 08:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
. . . with the proviso that the tape used to hold the cardboard in place can apparently leave traces of adhesive/residue on the aluminum which may, in turn, be difficult to remove.

PS -- edit -- search results for "adhesive residue" FYI:

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...due&gsc.page=1
Old 08-09-2016, 08:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
But then you have to put sheep skins in place to protect the cardboard that's protecting the segment protectors that are protecting the skin!

Old 08-09-2016, 08:35 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backfortyjoe View Post
That's a good tip and is what I will do until they start making them again for this model. Tried to order them but said that Jackson, Ohio plant showed zero in stock. We are heading out west from here in northern Wisc. after Labor day for about 4 or 5 weeks, so will try the cardboard trick that you suggested. Will put some plastic cover over it to help keep out the rain. Thanks

We got ours much quicker but dealer advised to use larger ones like on larger AS as they protect better. The LP bottle cover we got is also for a FC
With 30lb bottles so it will all be proportional.
*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:50 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backfortyjoe View Post
I checked with the Dealer and they would have to order them at $870 total for both sides. Am thinking that I could install them myself with a bit of knowledge from someone that has the experience. Then again, maybe not! Worth a try for saving $500.
Check outofdoorsmart.com they sell them but shipping is expensive installing them isn't a bad job
Old 08-10-2016, 01:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
There was a little Bambi next to us at Jackson Center.
The lady had just purchased the trailer new from Arbogast near the factory.
When she saw the segment protectors, rear bumper, and rear bumper storage she had the service center install all those items on her trailer.
Also, she had another grab handle/assist bar installed inside the doorway.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:07 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
I purchased mine from a supplier in Utah for around $800. The instructions are poor. There is a slight contour on the Sport, and the piano hinge is perfectly straight. It was painful, but doable. Do not drill too deep!