Old 08-10-2016, 10:49 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Walnut Creek , California
Flaps

I put removable rubber flaps on my truck. After many trips no problems. Also nothing on my two aluminum tanks.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Yes, the Rock Tamers work well too.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:52 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Yes, the Rock Tamers work well too.

I also have Rock Tamers on our 2005 Tacoma but still some stuff slips through and puts the dings in the AS.
Talked to the dealer and am starting to think that there are two sizes of segments that you could put on. First is the one that they recommend which is the shorter one that screws on and does not have the hinge. The other one is longer and has the hinge on it which would be convenient to open and clean behind it.

The AS supplier in Utah says the long segments are standard. The dealer in Minneapolis says the short ones are the standard????? He also says it takes 4 hours to install. I watched a utube on the installation and the guy took about 20 minutes. The more I learn about this the more confused I get.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:07 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have a Classic.
It comes with taller segment protectors that go from the bottom of the trailer to the bottom of the Windows.
The Windows have "sunglasses" or "shades".

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-12-2016, 07:19 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
stratford , Connecticut
If you decide to install the segment protectors yourself be aware of the location of electrical wires. When we got Bambi back from the dealer our interior lights didn't work. Seems a wire to the light switch near the door was nicked during the installation. They fixed it quickly and we were on our way. Even professionals can make an error sometimes.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:06 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backfortyjoe View Post
I also have Rock Tamers on our 2005 Tacoma but still some stuff slips through and puts the dings in the AS.
Talked to the dealer and am starting to think that there are two sizes of segments that you could put on. First is the one that they recommend which is the shorter one that screws on and does not have the hinge. The other one is longer and has the hinge on it which would be convenient to open and clean behind it.

The AS supplier in Utah says the long segments are standard. The dealer in Minneapolis says the short ones are the standard????? He also says it takes 4 hours to install. I watched a utube on the installation and the guy took about 20 minutes. The more I learn about this the more confused I get.
I believe the small protectors are those designed for the smaller European Airstreams. They are not as high and our dealer advised against them because they do not provide as much protection. The ones we ordered are for the larger AS units. We pick up our Bambi at the dealer tomorrow with the covers installed and will post a photo and the total installation price.
*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:40 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Even on the big trailers the segment protectors are larger on the Classic than the Flying Cloud.
The top goes higher- all the way to the belt line.
The bottom is black (charcoal) like the banana wrap and curves all the way under on the Classic.
The bottom is stainless and stops before the bottom of the trailer on the Flying Cloud.
So...
You can get the Flying Cloud segment protectors or you can get the Classic segment protectors.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-13-2016, 08:21 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
Well, was I in for a surprise when I picked up my 16J from the dealer. I was expecting the larger protectors, which was what I thought were ordered, but ended up with the small ones. I googled the part number and they are the correct protectors for a 16 Sport. The dealer had advised getting the larger ones for better protection and that is what I thought he ordered. Too late now but they do cover the area where I was getting dings. Also, I was pleasantly surprised by the installation cost -- just $90 for both, about half of what was quoted. Without a piano hinge to fool with must be an easy installation. Also, they only charged me $15 each to install a Max Air Vent Cover and the screen door guards. The price for the protectors was pretty good too at $740 for both which is a 15% discount off of list. I am happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	268992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	268993  

*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:34 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Cardboard on the front of an Airstream?

I can't wait to hear what Antsy McClain comes up with when he see that!

Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:21 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by remphoto View Post
Well, was I in for a surprise when I picked up my 16J from the dealer. I was expecting the larger protectors, which was what I thought were ordered, but ended up with the small ones. I googled the part number and they are the correct protectors for a 16 Sport. The dealer had advised getting the larger ones for better protection and that is what I thought he ordered. Too late now but they do cover the area where I was getting dings. Also, I was pleasantly surprised by the installation cost -- just $90 for both, about half of what was quoted. Without a piano hinge to fool with must be an easy installation. Also, they only charged me $15 each to install a Max Air Vent Cover and the screen door guards. The price for the protectors was pretty good too at $740 for both which is a 15% discount off of list. I am happy.

Thanks for posting the photos. Looks very nice. You have a good dealer and a great price for what you had done to your Bambi. You must be close to the factory. Minneapolis Dealer says $500 to install the same one you have. There aren't any available right now so will probably wait until next year to get it done.