Old 08-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Charlotte , North Carolina
Hail Damage - a concern

I am currently looking for a 19' Bambi. I recently came across an ad, first on craigslist (Cleveland), and then the same ad on Ebay. I was able to get in touch with the owner concerning hail damage above the front window. The owner sent me two detailed pictures and it's pretty bad.
What should I be concerned with?
Is this an easy fix?
Does this compromise the integrity or the insulation within the structure?
Thank you.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Can you post the pictures?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
That kind of hail damage is difficult and or expensive to fix. It likely does not effect function unless the hail causes the seams to leak (which is unlikely) and so you should just learn to live with the beauty marks but discount the price when you buy or sell it.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
If you could post a picture, it would help the community to make suggestions. I looked at the Craigslist posting, and I would agree that the dents are nasty looking, but probably don't threaten the integrity of the skin. In general, I would say that it is unlikely that hail damage is going to cause structural or insulation damage, but if it was bad enough, it could cause leaks along deformed seams.

It is not an easy fix. There are plenty of stories about using dry ice and snake oil to work the dents out, but the only way to make it look "like new" is to replace the panel. Repairs are ridiculously expensive, which is why insurance companies "total" hail damaged trailers. The number I have heard is ~$2000 per formed section of shell to have it replaced by a professional. You could replace the panels yourself, but it is a lot of work, and requires specialized skills and tools.

The other thing to be concerned with is the status of the title. The ebay listing says this has a clear title, but if this trailer has a Salvage title, then the price doesn't reflect it. Trailers with salvage trailers and existing damage are deemed by many insurance companies to have no value, and thus they won't provide comprehensive insurance for them. If the seller wants $23k for a salvage titled trailer, and you can't get comprehensive insurance for it, then you have a pretty big liability.

Good luck.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #5

Currently Looking...
Click image for larger version

Name:	get-attachment.aspx.jpeg
Views:	545
Size:	428.7 KB
ID:	166238

Thank you all for the information. I have just tried to attach the photo.
Hopefully it worked. I appreciate the feed back.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Easy fix? Replace every panel that has been damaged at a cost of $1.5K to $2K per panel.

The trailer was most likely totaled by the insurance company and someone (owner?) bought it back for a couple of thousand dollars. It would have a salvage title which would make it very difficult to insure in the future.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Ouch.

If you can live with those nasty dents, and the title is clear, then I would say this trailer is still not much of a bargain. On the other hand, if you intend to have the dents repaired, then by the time you make the investment, you probably could have bought a used trailer that didn't require a bunch of work.

Salvage title or not, I would bet this trailer has been "totaled" by an insurance company, and someone (whether it was the original owner, or the guy who picked it up at auction), will make a healthy profit at this asking price. Maybe this leaves a lot of room for negotiation on price. I suppose it is just a matter of how much trouble you want to go through.

good luck.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #8

Currently Looking...
Based on the information you all have given, I will not even consider purchasing this trailer and making repairs. I was considering offering a low puchase price to cover repairs, but it is clearly not worth it. Thank you very much for the advice and info!